• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
JEFFREY CUP
Oysters (1) vs KOBs (4) - the minor undefeated premiers will make life tough for the young blokes. I reckon they'll do undefeated major premiers as well. Kings went off the boil a little after the last 2 rounds.
OYSTERS by a few lengths.

Burraneer (2) v Sea Lice (3) - grudge match! Dolphins got up in the 84th minute last time they met so the Lice will be out for revenge. Neither side will care if they win by a point.
SEA LICE in an upset after they rolled KOBs and then Engadine the last couple of weeks.

Agree with both those picks. Having seen Oysters, Lice and Burra all play in last 2 weeks.

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
Coupla tips for the Div 2 semis @ DP

4th Grade
1 v 4
St Patricks v Linfield
Pats have been the form team of the Richardson Cup and expect them to continue marching towards the GF. Pats by 30.
2 v 3
UNSW v Epping
Last time they met UNSW got up by a try at home and I dont see this being any different. UNSW by 7.

3rd Grade
1 v 4
St Patricks v Linfield
Linfield put on a clinic last week, and the confidence that that dominant win brings can cause an upset against the minor premiers, who are coming off a week off. Expect there to be a few tired warriors out there at the end of this. Linfield by 2.
2 v 3
Epping v Hills
Same story as the other 3rd grade game, Hills had a resounding win last week and Epping the week off. Another battle of the ages, which I expect to be very close. Hills by 5.

Colts
1 v 4
BOBs v Hunters Hills
The Barker squad will be looking to keep their unbeaten season in tact. Expect them to comfortably handle what Hunters throws at them. BOBs by 12.
2 v 3
St Patricks v Linfield
St Pats have been quite impressive all season, but I am getting the feeling that the boys from Linfield are building to something special. This should be one of the games of the afternoon. Linfield by 5.

2nd Grade
1 v 4
Hunters Hill v St Patricks
Not much to say here, Hunters have been putting cricket scores on the entire competition, and this should prove no different. Tipping this to be the biggest winning margin of the day. Hunters Hill by 42.
2 v 3
Epping v UNSW
There was 1 point in it the last time they met, and dont expect this game to be any less of a struggle. Unsw put Linfield to the sword last game, keeping them scoreless. I think the confidence that brings is the difference. Uni by 12.

1st Grade
1 v 4
Hunters Hill v UNSW
Expect this to be a tight game with plenty of talent on show. Hunters have a big and moderately mobile pack, which I think will be the difference in this one. Hunters should be able to bring some superior physicality to this match, and with Unis poor disciplinary record, should prove the winning game plan. UNSWs hopes lie in current Barraclough Medal favourite Makoare-Boyce - if he is given too much time and space the score could be anything. HH by 10.

2 v 3
St Patricks v Hills
These teams played two weeks ago, with Pats coming out 24 point victors. Hills copped a pizzling from Hunters Hill last week, and Pats had the bye. A few wounded men from Hills, and Liam Windons direction around the field should see Pats win this comfortably. Pats by 30.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Big game in DIV 1 with Blue Mountains hosting Knobs In the battle to avoid relegation. Anyone know what’s happened to Mountains this year, did they lose players to the Emus?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Heavyb, you confident?

Having witnessed them play, I reckon Brothers should be fairly confident going into next week. It was 22-zip before halftime and Balmain fought back but lacked the structures to seriously dent Brothers' line. Couple of brilliant individual tries tho/

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Okey dokey finals picks after the Renegades bowed out with a bit of a messy Round 7 for personnel.

DIVISION 4

MCLEAN CUP: Irish v Dukes was closer than I predicted. Raptors never got away from Canterbury but they'll be thankful for a close game for next week.

GROSE CUP: Yeah Fijibury smashed Dukes. No news there. Raptors in a close one against Irish, as predicted. Four yellow cards for Raptors will be a worry.

MELDRUM CUP

I was there to see Brothers comprehensively beat Balmain. Both sides with a couple of last minute changes but Brothers have decent size, discipline, and Fijians. Balmain have size and a bit of niggle with a couple of quick blokes out the back. Not much else, and their discipline went to custard in the last 15.

As predicted, Savers did Wakehurst after a very slow start. It was about 3-nil at halftime I think, then a try to Savers and yellow card to Wakehurst and you could basically shut the gate.

JEFFREY CUP

I got the Oysters result (duh) but missed Burra coming back against the Lice in a close one.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
So we crowds 'banned' or 'discouraged' from turning up.

Plenty of noise on the lice v burra feed today that I watched.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Big game in DIV 1 with Blue Mountains hosting Knobs In the battle to avoid relegation. Anyone know what’s happened to Mountains this year, did they lose players to the Emus?

Don't rule out Petersham who are also in the running for relegation.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Sudden death footy, previous form out the window and the bounce of the ball can decide your season. Good luck to all teams.

Div 3
1st grade
Beecroft vs Iggies: playing each other for the 2nd week in a row after Iggies let a big lead go with Beecroft scoring 3 converted tries to pip them by a point must have hurt. I'm going to go with Beecroft to do it again in another high scoring fixture.
Newport vs Briars: Breakers undefeated but give away plenty of size to the big Briars pack. I'm nervous but Newport defence has been the best in comp and their young quick backline ooze talent so will go with Newport to run away late in this one.

2nd grade
Newport vs Beecroft: Newport have a very good scrum and a creative backline, so I think they will have just a little too much for Beecroft in this one.
Iggies vs Briars: I think Iggies will prove to polished in the set piece and they have a quick backline that will proff to much for Briars who can be proud they have made 1s and 2s semis first up back in 3rd div.

Colts
Beecroft vs Hawkesbury Valley: Going to go with the upset here, HV have been in good form, they have some big boppers and it their discipline can hold they can win this.
Newport vs Iggies: 2 weeks ago the Breakers let a 17-5 lead go with 10 to go. They wont do the same this time. Iggies have a great set piece but Newport Colts are red hot and they will be hungry to go for Premiership number 4 on the trot.

3rds
Beecroft vs Newport: Beecroft appear to be peaking at the right time with a sensational victory over a very good Iggies side last week. I think they might have just a little to much for Newport in a close one.
Iggies vs Blacktown: up until last weeks result I had Iggies as a Premiership certainty, every team can have an off day and I think they will win this one 30+ and then go on to win the GF.

Lets hope Clutch TV does there job tomorrow with no issues around streaming!

7/8
Newports 48-0 thumping of Beecroft in 2nds would have focussed Iggies on the challenge they face for next week, particularly the scrum demolition of Beecroft from the 1st minute.
Sadly Newport 3rds saved their worst game of the year for the semis but were completely out played and enthused by a switched on Beecroft desperate for a opportunity to make amends for last years GF loss to the Breakers.

So next week
1st grade: Newport vs Beecroft
2nd grade: Newport vs Iggies
Colts: Newport vs Beecroft
3rds: Beecroft vs Iggies

Rumour has it subbies are thinking of allowing limited crowds to the GF but if the venue is again Sefton I'd say don't bother.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't rule out Petersham who are also in the running for relegation.

It would appear Petersham have survived, Knox to be relegated and Hunters back in Kentwell.

Div 2
St Pats
Hills
UNSW
BOBS? Didn't field a 3rd or 4th grade so will be interesting to see if subbies offer Iggies or Beecroft the opportunity to go up.
Epping
Lindfield
Knobs
Newport

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I was there to see Brothers comprehensively beat Balmain. Both sides with a couple of last minute changes but Brothers have decent size, discipline, and Fijians. Balmain have size and a bit of niggle with a couple of quick blokes out the back. Not much else, and their discipline went to custard in the last 15.

Very satisfying taking out the trash that is Balmain Rugby. Dead set thugs - obviously failed to check-in for weekend detention.

They stacked 2's (Halligans) because they knew they couldn't win 1's - Lack of confidence probably backfired because those few blokes made a big difference when they came on 2nd half.

Going down has done Brothers the world of good. Having 2 sides is where we're at and having a sustainable number of teams for the playing group has kept spirits really high and everyone's had a great time. Healthiest the club has been in a long, long time and great to see. Probably also the best 1's team we've had certainly since dropping to Div 3 in 2016. Would love to see us go up against the likes of Newport and Beecroft in div 3 in fact, but not to be.

Our 2nd grade hadn't won a match in 3 years and managed to make the Halligan's cup semi finals. Whatever the result next week, huge positive year for the club.

Also, a pleasure to meet you in person Pfitzy. Congratulations on a well supervised affair, keep up the good work.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Very satisfying taking out the trash that is Balmain Rugby. Dead set thugs - obviously failed to check-in for weekend detention.

They stacked 2's (Halligans) because they knew they couldn't win 1's - Lack of confidence probably backfired because those few blokes made a big difference when they came on 2nd half.

Going down has done Brothers the world of good. Having 2 sides is where we're at and having a sustainable number of teams for the playing group has kept spirits really high and everyone's had a great time. Healthiest the club has been in a long, long time and great to see. Probably also the best 1's team we've had certainly since dropping to Div 3 in 2016. Would love to see us go up against the likes of Newport and Beecroft in div 3 in fact, but not to be.

Our 2nd grade hadn't won a match in 3 years and managed to make the Halligan's cup semi finals. Whatever the result next week, huge positive year for the club.

Also, a pleasure to meet you in person Pfitzy. Congratulations on a well supervised affair, keep up the good work.

Well done Heavyb. Sounds like the club has stabilised and the slow rebuild begins. Just looked at your score sheet and appears a couple of Balmain yellow cards for niggle.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Cheers. Felt like moderately organised chaos at times ;) but years of herding cats as a Club President/Secretary prepared me for that moment ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

There certainly wasn't a lot of difference between the two grades of Balmain in terms of overall structure, skill, and fitness. Set piece for their First Grade was definitely better.

The main difference when they staged a mini-comeback was the guy who started Second Grade making a mess of Brothers' First Grade midfield. So I'm not sure if they stacked in the belief they couldn't win, or just ended up that way because Option A and Option B weren't much different.

As I said to their scrutineer: you leaked a lot of points but usually managed to score more, so defensive structures were always up against it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well done Heavyb. Sounds like the club has stabilised and the slow rebuild begins. Just looked at your score sheet and appears a couple of Balmain yellow cards for niggle.

Right at the end there was renewal of pressure on Balmain's line and eventually the ref had enough of the verbals from frustrated players. The tackle that occurred at the end of the game for the other yellow was fatigue more than anything.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Right at the end there was renewal of pressure on Balmain's line and eventually the ref had enough of the verbals from frustrated players. The tackle that occurred at the end of the game for the other yellow was fatigue more than anything.

Its the verbal more than anything. Once its clear the result is over, its the threats and invitations to the car park after the game that give you the shits. Was exactly the same when we played them earlier in the year - they had a red card that game for a dead set intentional attempted decapitation.

I also had a few handshake refusals that game.. they really don't like losing.