• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
How many grades is this comp?

Its 1 grade but from what we hear most will have 2 teams. I know we struggled for numbers but we were always a 2 team club coming from 4 teams, straight down to 1 is a bit much. I imagine we will be taking halligans when the opposition is keen.

I reckon the rugby league comps being off has helped subbies numbers, we played balmain and mac uni on the weekend who are both in our div and both could field 2 teams based on the weekend's numbers.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its 1 grade but from what we hear most will have 2 teams. I know we struggled for numbers but we were always a 2 team club coming from 4 teams, straight down to 1 is a bit much. I imagine we will be taking halligans when the opposition is keen.

I reckon the rugby league comps being off has helped subbies numbers, we played balmain and mac uni on the weekend who are both in our div and both could field 2 teams based on the weekend's numbers.

How are your numbers heavyb? Surely you blokes would have 25-30

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reports Breakers had a good hit out against Lindfield and Kariong at Old Soldier on the weekend.

Newport colts continue to impress and despite the usual lack of size throughout the grades the Breakers will go into this weeks competition looking solid across the grades. Player numbers for a short season look very strong. Will be interesting how the rest of the comp lines up as hard to get a read on whats happening at other clubs.

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
The Blacktown , Blues, HAC trial on Sat was a great success!

Think all three clubs got something out of it and all games were played in good spirits!!!!

Let start the season!!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
75% chance there will be games cancelled this weekend due to covid-19 testing. You hear it here first!

Looking at the packed sideline of our ground on the weekend, it is not a long shot. You can put up the signs. You can tell people, you can post it on your social media.

Fact is, when you're trying to operate 1 facility for 3 Grades + 4 women's teams, all that shit goes out the window.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
How are your numbers heavyb? Surely you blokes would have 25-30

Probably slightly higher. Low 30's. If we don't get a halligans there will be blokes missing out on a game, put it that way.

However, some injuries and people away and you run the risk of not having enough for 2 in a 2 team comp I guess.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Appear the Harlequins don’t have a colts. Early season forefeit means 30 colts looking for a game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Appear the Harlequins don’t have a colts. Early season forefeit means 30 colts looking for a game.

I don't think they ever would have - short of recruiting a lower grade Premier Colts side.

The issue was Div 3 being left with 7 clubs and Quins winning all three premierships in 4th Div.

We are looking at Colts but tough gig when you've got no juniors and local schools won't talk to you. All the kids at Dural Juniors want to go to other clubs IF they stay on after school.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I saw that St Pats have two colts sides and are entering a side in the Radford (???) Cup competition. Could they fill the gap???

I don't think they ever would have - short of recruiting a lower grade Premier Colts side.

The issue was Div 3 being left with 7 clubs and Quins winning all three premierships in 4th Div.

We are looking at Colts but tough gig when you've got no juniors and local schools won't talk to you. All the kids at Dural Juniors want to go to other clubs IF they stay on after school.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I saw that St Pats have two colts sides and are entering a side in the Radford (???) Cup competition. Could they fill the gap???

Potentially - and surely that idea had occurred to Subbies at some point.

BUT while we maintain a situation where Colts play after Thirds I think scheduling is the issue.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
And away we go. No form line so all tips based on last year and some guess work

Div 2
St Pats vs Barkers - St Pats too big too strong. Could be a blow out
Lindfield vs Hunters Hill - Will go with HH in in a tight one against old soldier
Epping vs ROBS - Will be interesting to see how ROBS go across the grades in DIV 2. I'll take ROBS skilful backline to over come and RAM size difference
HILLS vs UNSW - Hills at home with UNSW all but shut down

Div 3
Blacktown vs Iggies - The big man to get over a traditionally slow starting Iggies.
Beecroft vs HV - Will give the home team benefit of the doubt over the HV fatties
Harlequins vs Breakers - Will go with last years Div 4 winners in a tight one against Newport. Should be great footy all day with Newport looking strong and coming up against 3 grades of GF winners will let them know how short a season it maybe.
HAC vs Briars - Will go with Briars only based on how the wheels fell off HAC so badly late last year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4 - lot of new players here so form guide ain't worth much ;)
  • Alexandria Dukes v Colleagues/Convicts - saw Dukes up close last week and I reckon they'll have too much
  • Northern Saints v Sydney Irish - this might be close. Going with the home side
  • Maccabi v Renegades - we didn't train with great numbers on Wednesday so think we might lack organisation
  • Canterbury v Western Raptors - home side advantage here, but will be an interesting clash between potential finalists

Jeffrey Cup - two new clubs but I hear some Subbies veterans make up their numbers
  • Combined Forces v North Cronulla - the Lice, based on their form
  • Merrylands v Kings Old Boys - home side advantage.
  • Engadine v Burraneer - looking for the home side to start red hot against last year's Premiers
  • Sydney Harbour v Oatley - new boys FTW! Oatley are a little messy I hear.

Meldrum Cup - mostly intact from last year, with the addition of Mac Uni, Brothers and Balmain. Basically the north shore cup, so I'm using the form lines from last year
  • Chatswood v Wakehurst - form line
  • Dee Why/Terrey Hills v Lane Cove - if Covies have their first choice lineup they'll win this handily
  • Balmain v Macquariue Uni - I hear Balmain have a red hot first grade. The Beacons will be suffering from COVID
  • Brothers v Manly Savers - I've got a question mark over Brothers, as I hear they're strong at the top XV level. This is a guess based on what I know of Savers.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Division 4 - lot of new players here so form guide ain't worth much ;)
  • Alexandria Dukes v Colleagues/Convicts - saw Dukes up close last week and I reckon they'll have too much
  • Northern Saints v Sydney Irish - this might be close. Going with the home side
  • Maccabi v Renegades - we didn't train with great numbers on Wednesday so think we might lack organisation
  • Canterbury v Western Raptors - home side advantage here, but will be an interesting clash between potential finalists

Jeffrey Cup - two new clubs but I hear some Subbies veterans make up their numbers
  • Combined Forces v North Cronulla - the Lice, based on their form
  • Merrylands v Kings Old Boys - home side advantage.
  • Engadine v Burraneer - looking for the home side to start red hot against last year's Premiers
  • Sydney Harbour v Oatley - new boys FTW! Oatley are a little messy I hear.

Meldrum Cup - mostly intact from last year, with the addition of Mac Uni, Brothers and Balmain. Basically the north shore cup, so I'm using the form lines from last year
  • Chatswood v Wakehurst - form line
  • Dee Why/Terrey Hills v Lane Cove - if Covies have their first choice lineup they'll win this handily
  • Balmain v Macquariue Uni - I hear Balmain have a red hot first grade. The Beacons will be suffering from COVID
  • Brothers v Manly Savers - I've got a question mark over Brothers, as I hear they're strong at the top XV level. This is a guess based on what I know of Savers.

Having played in short trials against Balmain & Mac Uni on the weekend, we managed to win both, although closely..

Of the two, I'd say Mac Uni were more impressive, the Balmain side had massive rugby league vibes. Next to no set piece but if they get that right, they'll be dangerous.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Having played in short trials against Balmain & Mac Uni on the weekend, we managed to win both, although closely..

Of the two, I'd say Mac Uni were more impressive, the Balmain side had massive rugby league vibes. Next to no set piece but if they get that right, they'll be dangerous.

We'll know more after tomorrow I guess.

Interestingly, 4 of the 8 clubs in Meldrum Cup (North Comp) are also doing Halligan this weekend.

This makes me glad - tho I keep in mind a short COVID season could be responsible.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
And away we go. No form line so all tips based on last year and some guess work

Div 2
St Pats vs Barkers - St Pats too big too strong. Could be a blow out
Lindfield vs Hunters Hill - Will go with HH in in a tight one against old soldier
Epping vs ROBS - Will be interesting to see how ROBS go across the grades in DIV 2. I'll take ROBS skilful backline to over come and RAM size difference
HILLS vs UNSW - Hills at home with UNSW all but shut down

Div 3
Blacktown vs Iggies - The big man to get over a traditionally slow starting Iggies.
Beecroft vs HV - Will give the home team benefit of the doubt over the HV fatties
Harlequins vs Breakers - Will go with last years Div 4 winners in a tight one against Newport. Should be great footy all day with Newport looking strong and coming up against 3 grades of GF winners will let them know how short a season it maybe.
HAC vs Briars - Will go with Briars only based on how the wheels fell off HAC so badly late last year.

Some interest results. Does anyone have a report on the St Pats vs Bobs game? Big boilover. I saw Pats had 3 Shute shield players that were playing up to last year including a Catchpole winner.