• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Tips

Div 1
COLLEAGUES vs Knobs - The eastern suburbs tossers to be too good for the Northshore tossers.
Forest vs MOUNTIANS - Will be a great game with a big crowd, I'll go the big men over 1st Div newcomers.
MOSMAN vs Waverley - Whales to feast on Waverley.
Petersham vs DIRTy REDs - Drummoyne to get up with half Shammies playing roster stuck in the UK.

Div 2
HH vs St Pats - Hunters to get over St Pats after thumping Lindfield last week.
HILLS vs Robs - Still waiting to hear what has happening with the ROBS players, lets see how they go against the HILL Billies this week.
UNSW vs Epping - Will go the home team with little conviction.
BOBS vs Lindfield - Old Soldier to cop a hiding.

DIV 3
Hawkesbury vs QUINNS - QUINNS will be t0o strong and t0o well drilled in this one.
BRIARs vs Blacktown - New boys look impressive and with Campo involved are on the move.
IGGIES vs Hac - Go with the home ground advantage
NEWPORT vs Beecroft - an enormous crowd is expected for the Breakers first home game in almost a year. If the weather holds out I expect Newport's lightening back line to be the difference.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4
Renegades v Canterbury - we've got a decent team tho Berries will be smarting from last week against Raptors. Gotta back the boys.
Irish v Dukes - technically Irish should be a little too good
Convicts v Saints - similar to above
Raptors v Maccabi - they beat Berries by 40 so reckon they might have enough to cover Maccabi

Jeffrey Cup
Sea Lice v Oysters - hard to judge the Oysters after one round thrashing Oatley
Oatley v Combined Forces - that said, Oatley are a bit of a rabble after some hard years
KingsOB v Engadine - I heard rumours that Engadine didn't even want to play this year initially, and Kings got up against Merrylands, so....
Burraneer v Merrylands - the Wolves aren't a team that travels well, historically. We will see if they prove me wrong.

Meldrum Cup
Savers v Chatswood - the staggies got up against Wakehurst, but Savers will be too good
Mac Uni v DY/Terrey Hills - students at home. Some of the DY boys will be shocked they have to leave the beaches.
Covies v Balmain - Balmain (after looking like barely 2 teams) want to make a statement
Wakehurst v Brothers - Wakehurst look a little short on depth.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 - 3 from 4, missing our result. Ref didn't affect the outcome, but as an AR he set my teeth on edge.
Jeffrey - 2 from 4, the big news being Oatley getting up at home and Engadine forfeiting. I missed Oysters over Sea Lice.
Meldrum - 3 from 4, with Wakehurst getting up over Brothers.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Meldrum - 3 from 4, with Wakehurst getting up over Brothers.[/quote]

heavyb, did Wakehurst take the points?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Tips

Div 1
COLLEAGUES vs Knobs - The eastern suburbs tossers to be too good for the Northshore tossers.
Forest vs MOUNTIANS - Will be a great game with a big crowd, I'll go the big men over 1st Div newcomers.
MOSMAN vs Waverley - Whales to feast on Waverley.
Petersham vs DIRTy REDs - Drummoyne to get up with half Shammies playing roster stuck in the UK.

Div 2
HH vs St Pats - Hunters to get over St Pats after thumping Lindfield last week.
HILLS vs Robs - Still waiting to hear what has happening with the ROBS players, lets see how they go against the HILL Billies this week.
UNSW vs Epping - Will go the home team with little conviction.
BOBS vs Lindfield - Old Soldier to cop a hiding.

DIV 3
Hawkesbury vs QUINNS - QUINNS will be t0o strong and t0o well drilled in this one.
BRIARs vs Blacktown - New boys look impressive and with Campo involved are on the move.
IGGIES vs Hac - Go with the home ground advantage
NEWPORT vs Beecroft - an enormous crowd is expected for the Breakers first home game in almost a year. If the weather holds out I expect Newport's lightening back line to be the difference.

10/12 Missed the draw in Div1 and didn't see the Quinns result coming.

In Div 1 Kentwell looks like its going to be a tough 7 rounds with all results tight bar one blow out.

In Div 2 its sad to see 2 clubs not being able to field a 3rd grade and after the ROBS 85-5 home game humiliation at the hand of Hills you'd have to ask if they have the cattle to see the season through to the end.

After 2 rounds in Div 3 the Harlequins are yet to post a victory after winning all 3 comps in Div 4 last year. Iggies and the Breakers off to strong starts with HV looking to get some momentum.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)

heavyb, did Wakehurst take the points?[/quote]

pew pew pew, one of your best heavyd. they did not.. to their credit they came back from 22-7 down with about 15 to go and put 3 tries on us including one on the last play of the game.

We've now been beaten after leading by 11 and 15 points unfortunately. Of 160 minutes of rugby we've honestly led for 155, its horrendous. Difference in size in the lower division is pretty noticeable though. We would have been one of the bigger teams in div 3, certainly not down in Meldrum. Less fitness and finesse, more bash and barge.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
10/12 Missed the draw in Div1 and didn't see the Quinns result coming.

In Div 2 its sad to see 2 clubs not being able to field a 3rd grade and after the ROBS 85-5 home game humiliation at the hand of Hills you'd have to ask if they have the cattle to see the season through to the end.

Looking at that team list, there are a few real notable guys missing, esepcially the 8 and skipper as he's the only one with any size, however the 9 is still a gun and I never would've picked them to get belted by 80. A lot of guys give it away after winning GF's too I guess.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
heavyb, did Wakehurst take the points?

pew pew pew, one of your best heavyd. they did not.. to their credit they came back from 22-7 down with about 15 to go and put 3 tries on us including one on the last play of the game.

We've now been beaten after leading by 11 and 15 points unfortunately. Of 160 minutes of rugby we've honestly led for 155, its horrendous. Difference in size in the lower division is pretty noticeable though. We would have been one of the bigger teams in div 3, certainly not down in Meldrum. Less fitness and finesse, more bash and barge.[/quote]

Did you field a Halligans?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You'll love Dee Why-Terrey Hills then..

If they can be bothered by that time of year. Good thing there are no games further from James Morgan than 30 minutes or most of the big boys wouldn't bother.

Last year, DY/TH forfeited both the games at Raptors and Renegades. Which is bullshit.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)

We've now been beaten after leading by 11 and 15 points unfortunately. Of 160 minutes of rugby we've honestly led for 155, its horrendous. Difference in size in the lower division is pretty noticeable though. We would have been one of the bigger teams in div 3, certainly not down in Meldrum. Less fitness and finesse, more bash and barge.

Did you field a Halligans?[/quote]

Yeah we did. Our 2's aren't crash hot but they'll be there every week. Wakehurst 2's were league ring-ins. A handful of them were better than anyone in their 1's.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Div 4 - 3 from 4, missing our result. Ref didn't affect the outcome, but as an AR he set my teeth on edge.
Jeffrey - 2 from 4, the big news being Oatley getting up at home and Engadine forfeiting. I missed Oysters over Sea Lice.

That week 1 game with combined forces against Sea Lice was called early due to injury, so that scoreline coulda blown out if the game went the full 80 as the Lice were goin downhill in 2nd hald and starting to take control.

Oysters have really announced themselves.

Shame about the forfeit in shortened season, guys obviously have no interest in playing finals.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Enjoying all the comments and contributions by Pfitzy and the heavies!

Anyone got any thoughts or intel on Div1/2?

I'll give mine.
Div1: I think we will see a much improved Knobs 1st grade side with Drummoyne annoucing themselves on the weekend as slight premiership favourites (Still very early!). Forest look to have wheeled out a new look 1st grade side that I don't believe is quite as strong as last year, may struggle to make finals. Pretty close/competitive games across round 1, which is great to see!

Div2: Hunters Hills and Hills look to be the teams to beat. Perhaps slight edge to HH after dismantling a very good St Pats side (who i am suprised sit at 0/2). Some interesting round 3 games to make the picture clearer. A very competitive division however ROBS look to be slightly behind the 8 ball with depth a major issue coming up to Div2. Despite the big loss, I think they will be competitive in a handful of games this year.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Enjoying all the comments and contributions by Pfitzy and the heavies!

Anyone got any thoughts or intel on Div1/2?

I'll give mine.
Div1: I think we will see a much improved Knobs 1st grade side with Drummoyne annoucing themselves on the weekend as slight premiership favourites (Still very early!). Forest look to have wheeled out a new look 1st grade side that I don't believe is quite as strong as last year, may struggle to make finals. Pretty close/competitive games across round 1, which is great to see!

Div2: Hunters Hills and Hills look to be the teams to beat. Perhaps slight edge to HH after dismantling a very good St Pats side (who i am suprised sit at 0/2). Some interesting round 3 games to make the picture clearer. A very competitive division however ROBS look to be slightly behind the 8 ball with depth a major issue coming up to Div2. Despite the big loss, I think they will be competitive in a handful of games this year.

In a short sharp season 0/2 for St Pats all but make it impossible for them to make semis. They'll need to win all 5 of their last games to definately make it. ROBS in world of pain and if you struggle to field 3 grades at home and get done by 80 in 1st grade an away game to UNSW looks ugly.

A call out on the success of Saturday night game of Breakers vs Beecroft. Was a great success and would like to hear any Beecroft view on how they felt it went? The weather gods held off until the end of the game before the heavens opened.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A call out on the success of Saturday night game of Breakers vs Beecroft. Was a great success and would like to hear any Beecroft view on how they felt it went? The weather gods held off until the end of the game before the heavens opened.

That's a good idea. Having new lights has certainly allowed us to play on into the earlier evening.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shame about the forfeit in shortened season, guys obviously have no interest in playing finals.

Quite a long trip to Thornleigh as well, which really is no excuse given some of the hard yards everyone does for travel at one point or another.

The Board was having difficulty getting Jeffrey and Meldrum to line up well, and putting Merrylands and Kings OB in the "south" comp was just the lesser of evils.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I've got to say the whole promotion thing is a tricky one. In 2018 BOBs were celebrating 50 years. That brought some players out of retirement to have a run in 3rd grade. A club championship , 1st Grade minor premiers and runners up and colts and 3rd grade premierships. Seems like a stable base to push up a division??? Well 2019 showed that we probably needed another year in Div 3.

In 2019 ROBS had a tremendous year, however they only took out one premiership.

I know 2020 is a short sharp season, but its not a great look BOBs/ROBs not putting out a 3rd and 4th grade team. I am sure they were honest with subbies about their playing numbers.

Its probably a statement without an answer with clubs moving divisions a lot more recently, but is it time to have fixed divisions for 2 seasons and give clubs a chance to stabilize? It has been great to watch Briars move back to Div 3 and be successful so far, but Quins haven't won a game and ROBS are having a tough time so maybe promotion is not all its cracked up to be!

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)

There is absolutely no way I would spend my Saturday night playing rugby in Newport, especially in the dead of winter. How the hell did you convince Beecroft to sign up for that?

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Forest look to have wheeled out a new look 1st grade side that I don't believe is quite as strong as last year, may struggle to make finals

Forest had a bunch of key players retire after the GF win. New look team this year built around the very successful Colts who dominated for years and have now graduated to seniors. Young, fast, skillful players. But lacking in size which Mountains took advantage of. The secret weapon is Jason Lautolo who famously destroys people who run at him, but when he came off the bench he really just slowly walked around looking for big hits that never came and didn't contribute much at all.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know 2020 is a short sharp season, but its not a great look BOBs/ROBs not putting out a 3rd and 4th grade team. I am sure they were honest with subbies about their playing numbers.

I believe they were. Certainly in the circumstances, teams are more accepting of it.

It is interesting to see the effect of a short season on some clubs. A few in the lower divisions are playing Halligan Cup where they haven't before (e.g. Savers) and benefiting from the cancellation or modification of other competitions (like Premier Rugby or local rugby league competitions).

Beasties and Harlequins are gelling quite well over the Colts situation, and guys who are playing Colts IV every second week otherwise, and thought they'd roll over a mere Subbies division, are getting a bit of a lesson :)

Its probably a statement without an answer with clubs moving divisions a lot more recently, but is it time to have fixed divisions for 2 seasons and give clubs a chance to stabilize?

Generally would be good for top 3 divisions where Colts are present, however in lower divisions the numbers can vary widely. Maybe as a rule of thumb: clubs with Colts cannot be promoted for 2 years (Radford excluded).