• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Round 2 Division 2:

OLD IGNATIANS VS BEECROFT:
Iggies seemingly a little depleted, and short a chunk of their first grade from previous years. They went down in a pretty scrappy affair with Barker. Beecroft got slapped up by Hills side that seems to be on par with UNSW as the bar setters this year. Beecroft too slick and organised for Iggies. BEECROFT by 17.
NEWPORT VS LINDFIELD: I think this will be the story of the season for Newport, too strong at home against most teams. Consistent numbers means a lot of returning players from a young side that is growing. Lindfield has similar strengths but will be blowing out the cobwebs in their first game of the year and will fall behind early. NEWPORT by 15.
BRIARS VS SYDNEY HARLEQUINS: An interesting rivalry here - should be a close one. Following each other around the divisions. Quins on a high from a thumping at Blacktown and Briars may lift after being shown the standard by UNSW. QUINS by 7.
BLACKTOWN VS OLD BARKER: As much as it pains me, Barker will be too fit for Blacktown who got run around the park last week. Blacktown will have to bring it to them physically and support each other in the first 20 minutes to be in with a chance. BARKER by 22.
HILLS VS UNSW: What a game. Both sides firing early in their first games of the year. UNSW hardly challenged by Briars so will need to lift on Saturday. Look to be well drilled, playing in patterns and vicious on counter attack. Earned the right through the middle to swing it when space appeared. Hills made Beecroft look pretty average and unconditioned which is no mean feat. Going to go down to the wire but my money is on UNSW BY 10.

Round 2 Division 4:

SAVERS v REDFIELD
- Yeah manly won't travel well here even though they have a capable team. Redfield by 7
HAC v Saints - I hope for HAC's sake they get a strong win at home. They should be too strong for a already patchy saints travelling HAC by 19.
Renegades v Epping - Epping struggled more than I thought against Merrylands but I think they'll be too strong for the Renegades due to their depth. Epping by 7
Harbour v Stags - Harbour will murder the poor stags who are numbers and experience low. Harbour by 35.
Mac Uni v Canterbury - Berries sound like they've come off second best after COVID which is a shame after some strong years previously. Mac Uni the dark horse Mac Uni by 5.
Raptors v Merrylands - Merrylands looked firey against Epping last week. Will be a clash of some big bodies on saturday, but with the Raptors in a bit of a hole of disorganisation. MERRYLANDS by 12.

Pretty close other than Iggies who overcame adversity to beat Beecroft at the depth. Unfortunately we were washed out as Briars couldn't get a ground up. We face Iggies this week and I think we will be too strong for them on the road across the grades. We are underdone with Waterloo closed almost every training, but we have a committed group who are good at putting it together on the day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Epping also came away with the upset against Renegades as well.

They had a fairly simple game plan: chuck it to their electric Fijians.

Our best lineout thrower broke his ankle about 30 minutes in.
Our best centre did his shoulder shortly after.
Fullback: concussion.
Winger: concussion as the guy dived on him (yellow card).

The second grade guys came on and did what they could. I shouldn't be out there except we're missing a couple of props, and I can still hold up a scrum if nothing else.

We would be a bit more competitive if everyone who registered turned up - one of our best second rowers is MIA. Another one was away with his family. Two guys away with military Rugby this week and next.

Savers and Epping made for a tough start to the year. Hopefully Chatswood are a bit more our style this week.

Last edited:

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Early predictions for Round 1 of Division 1:
KNOX VS ST PATS: A better return to the Kentwell Cup, St Pats could not ask for. Knox won’t have the team to compete as Pats showed themselves to be the form team of Barraclough last year. PATS BY 20.
FOREST VS HUNTERS: Both clubs seem to be claiming a lack of numbers behind closed doors. Forest with Kentwell experience to use Fortress Melwood to win. FOREST BY 8.
PETERSHAM VS BLUE MOUNTAINS: If there was a game to be at last weekend, it was the trial between Waverley and Blue Mountains. The firepower in the Mountain Goats’ backline will be too much for the Shammies. MOUNTAINS BY 30.
COLLEAGUES VS MOSMAN: The clash of the Kentwell titans and likely the two to fit out the club championship. A great battle at Woolahra. MOSMAN BY 12.
DRUMMOYNE VS WAVERLEY: This is the match of the round, possibly the match of the year. Waverley were amazing last week against Blue Mountains and have been training the house down in pre-season. Drummoyne’s preparations have been less than stellar but you know Kentwell Cup legend, John Sinisa, will have the Dirty Reds machine firing. WAVERLEY BY 2 off a late game drop goal by Rory Garrett.

Not so hot on my Division 1 take.
Well done to Waverley, doing the sweep on Drummoyne. Pat's coach would have been blowing up about the condition of the field at the Knox game. Well done to Hunters on a first up win in their return to the Kentwell.

Thanks for all the supporters out there who sh!t on my tips, post round, but didn't attempt their own. Well done, cowards.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Woodsman will get to Division 4, eventually.....
Round 2 Division 2:
An interesting game here between two first round losers. A young Beecroft side. An unknown Iggies side. I'll back Iggies to take the chocolates. OLD IGNATIANS by 7.
NEWPORT VS LINDFIELD: The clash of the titans (in terms of numbers anyway) in Division 2. Lindfield's lower grades were allegedly out in force against Epping last weekend, while Newport are going from strength to strength. Home ground advantage to push it to the Breakers. NEWPORT by 15.
BRIARS VS SYDNEY HARLEQUINS: If you follow Briars on Instagram, they are advertising the last visit by Harlequins where they won on the bell. Don't think they'll have that luck this week. I'm expecting a tough second week for the Briars lads. HARLEQUINS by 30.
BLACKTOWN VS OLD BARKER: This old dog cannot back Barker. It doesn't seem right. The Warriors bounce back from last week, using their size advantage. BLACKTOWN by 8.
HILLS VS UNSW: Uni will be on a high after their moreal-boosting thumping of Briars. Hills will be brimming with confidence after smashing Beecroft. A good game with two quality backlines, led by maestros Brinnand and Keppel. The boot of Brinnand at Yattenden to be the difference in this one. HILLS BY 2.
Iggies and Newport get the chocolates, to give the Woodsman 2/4 this round. Barker the surprise packet for me this week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4 predictions:

Redfield v Savers - X
HAC v Saints - X
Renegades v Epping - X
Oysters v Stags - Y
Mac Uni v Canterbury - ?
Raptors v Merrylands - Y

2 from 5 completed, with one postponed.

Surprised by the HAC result, but both teams had a lot of guys backing up.

Redfield not being deep in numbers was again a surprise. What's up there?

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well done to Waverley, doing the sweep on Drummoyne. Pat's coach would have been blowing up about the condition of the field at the Knox game. Well done to Hunters on a first up win in their return to the Kentwell.

Thanks for all the supporters out there who sh!t on my tips, post round, but didn't attempt their own. Well done, cowards.
Colleagues 3 of 6 against Mosman though picked up Colts, 2nd, & 1st Grade. Thoroughly dominated Mosman in Kentwell. 38-0 could have been more, seemed to ease off with 20mins to go.
Is it correct there was only 1 Sutherland Cup match yesterday? Hopefully it is just a weather thing.

gtrain84

Frank Row (1)

Waves looking strong across all grades this year. Could be a big year for the whole club.

Pats coach blowing up about the condition of the field at the Knox game? It certainly looked bad but have you seen the weather in Sydney over the past few months? Ultimately it's the same field for both teams. Given you thought Pats were 20 pts better than Knox, the coach probably has other things he can worry about than the field.

Also, did you see the state of the field in Petersham/Blue Mountains? The cricket pitch in the middle was horrendous. Your Blue Mountains take may be ok when they're at home but they definitely didn't bring the "electric backline" to Camperdown Oval. Discipline seemed to cost them big time all throughout the 80 mins too.

Hunters have made a good transition to first div, but will definitely face sterner tests than Forest. Forest looked well below par against a bigger pack and a better drilled team. It took HH longer to put them away than it should have, but they still ran up a good score. Forest could be in for some big scores against the top half of the competition without some sharp improvement.

Strange to see Mosman getting held to the donut in 1st grade. Knowing Mosman and their recruiting ability, I'd be surprised if their form didn't improve considerably in coming weeks. Good top see DK still running the show from 10 for Colleagues. He's got to be 50 by now, no?

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Round 2 Division 2:

Iggies seemingly a little depleted, and short a chunk of their first grade from previous years. They went down in a pretty scrappy affair with Barker. Beecroft got slapped up by Hills side that seems to be on par with UNSW as the bar setters this year. Beecroft too slick and organised for Iggies. BEECROFT by 17. ACTUAL: Iggies up by 1
NEWPORT VS LINDFIELD:
I think this will be the story of the season for Newport, too strong at home against most teams. Consistent numbers means a lot of returning players from a young side that is growing. Lindfield has similar strengths but will be blowing out the cobwebs in their first game of the year and will fall behind early. NEWPORT by 15. ACTUAL: Newport by 31
BRIARS VS SYDNEY HARLEQUINS:
An interesting rivalry here - should be a close one. Following each other around the divisions. Quins on a high from a thumping at Blacktown and Briars may lift after being shown the standard by UNSW. QUINS by 7. POSTPONED
BLACKTOWN VS OLD BARKER:
As much as it pains me, Barker will be too fit for Blacktown who got run around the park last week. Blacktown will have to bring it to them physically and support each other in the first 20 minutes to be in with a chance. BARKER by 22. ACTUAL: BOB by 26
HILLS VS UNSW:
What a game. Both sides firing early in their first games of the year. UNSW hardly challenged by Briars so will need to lift on Saturday. Look to be well drilled, playing in patterns and vicious on counter attack. Earned the right through the middle to swing it when space appeared. Hills made Beecroft look pretty average and unconditioned which is no mean feat. Going to go down to the wire but my money is on UNSW BY 10. ACTUAL: UNSW by 7

Round 2 Division 4:

SAVERS v REDFIELD
- Yeah manly won't travel well here even though they have a capable team. Redfield by 7 ACTUAL: Manly by 24
HAC v Saints
- I hope for HAC's sake they get a strong win at home. They should be too strong for a already patchy saints travelling HAC by 19. ACTUAL: HAC by 7
Renegades v Epping
- Epping struggled more than I thought against Merrylands but I think they'll be too strong for the Renegades due to their depth. Epping by 7
Harbour v Stags - Harbour will murder the poor stags who are numbers and experience low. Harbour by 35. ACTUAL: Harbour by 73 ouch
Mac Uni v Canterbury
- Berries sound like they've come off second best after COVID which is a shame after some strong years previously. Mac Uni the dark horse Mac Uni by 5. ACTUAL: Postpoed
Raptors v Merrylands
- Merrylands looked firey against Epping last week. Will be a clash of some big bodies on saturday, but with the Raptors in a bit of a hole of disorganisation. MERRYLANDS by 12. ACTUAL: Merrylands by 39
Not bad with 3/4 for Div 2/3 (1 postponed) and 4/5 for Div 4 (1 postponed). I'll take it.

Iggies/Beecroft went down to the wire but looked like a pretty scrappy game in the mud so hard to read much into the result aside from a bit of grit. Newport looked the goods against lindfield, Slick backline was too good. UNSW/Hills game is one to watch if you get bored during the week, UNSW backline is well drilled and seemed to be the difference. Keppel had a cross kick try that was pretty sweet. That being said, Hills were strong as well and it was pretty high scoring back and forth.

Haven't had a chance to catch any of Div 4 but some strong statements by Redfield, Harbour and Merrylands. Can't see anyone getting close to harbour.

Last edited:

Mule

Stan Wickham (3)
I stand corrected. Looks like after 6 seasons they can field the normal number of Div 1 grades.
6 seasons? That’s a bit far fetched….. but yes it’s been a tough couple of seasons and now (hopefully) another stage of the cycle

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Does anyone know why the club championship tables are not updated on subbies website? Looking forward to the UNSW vs Old Barker clash on Saturday. UNSW clear favourites

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Does anyone know why the club championship tables are not updated on subbies website? Looking forward to the UNSW vs Old Barker clash on Saturday. UNSW clear favourites

Because of the size of the divisions, some teams play each other twice. The Club Championships will therefore only apply from Round "X" onwards depending on the size of the division. Premiership points will accrue in every round of course.

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Here we go for round 3! How good is a sunny week allowing clubs to string some training and games together.

Round 3 Division 2:

NEWPORT VS BEECROFT:

Beecroft are yet to get off the mark for the year and will be a little flat. Travelling out to Newport won’t help their case. Newport will be on a high and should easily put the foot on the throat on Saturday. NEWPORT by 26

BRIARS VS LINDFIELD:

Briars have had a week off with the wet weather to ponder their shaky start. Lindfield still look like they’re blowing out the cobwebs but seem to be one of the doable scalps for the Div 3 teams along with BOBs. Still think Lindfield will take the chocolates here. LINDFIELD BY 7

IGGIES VS SYDNEY HARLEQUINS:

On a quick look down memory lane these appear to have been pretty closely fought in previous years. Don’t expect anything less here. Quins could run away with it with depleted Iggies cattle in 2022 but expecting something closer at the start of the year. Quins might get caught off guard on the step up from Blacktown and the week off. QUINS by 5

UNSW VS OLD BARKER:

BoBs have their first test and won’t be up for it. Will have a fair bit of confidence but it might work against them. UNSWs counter attack will slap them up. UNSW by 21

BLACKTOWN VS VALLEY:

Valley did pretty well against Newport in round 1 and should stroll to their first competition points pretty easily on Saturday. Feel for Blacktown. They’ve got a good club and great family support but they might struggle to get on the board in 2022. They’ll have to catch iggies on an off week and hope they have a team wedding. VALLEY BY 38

Round 3 Division 4:

Gee whiz what a round some good match ups here.

CANTERBURY v REDFIELD - I think the Berries will be too good here but it’ll be a battle in the middle. Two games under their belt and it being home at Wills will help them bring it home. Redfield seem to be leaking points so they’ll have to step up the D. CANTERBURY by 5

MERRYLANDS v SAVERS - Torn here. Manly have scored 31 in both games and won comfortably. But Merrylands put the hurt on raptors. I think savers have swung me but may get thrown off my the physicality of Merrylands. SAVERS by 12

HAC v EPPING - Great to see HAC get a win last week but they’ll lose this one on travel and depth at Epping. RAMS by 22

HARBOUR v SAINTS - Eek it’s gonna be a bit of a cricket score here again. Similar to the stags thumping last week. HARBOUR by 52

MAC UNI v RAPTORS - Would have loved to see how mad uni fared against the Berries. I think they’ve collapsed in numbers but actually think the raptors will get up here. Second weekend in a row playing footy will do them well. RAPTORS by 5

STAGS v RENEGADES - After two losses against strong sides I think the Renegades will be hungry here and have a win over the struggling stags. Will be a different kettle of fish than the previous rounds. GADES by 15

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Because of the size of the divisions, some teams play each other twice. The Club Championships will therefore only apply from Round "X" onwards depending on the size of the division. Premiership points will accrue in every round of course.
On a similar vein, interesting that Div 2 teams that were lined up to play Raptors twice now just get an extra bonus point win for free as a result of the extra bye. I suppose it makes sense because less footy and Raptors blindsiding everyone.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On a similar vein, interesting that Div 2 teams that were lined up to play Raptors twice now just get an extra bonus point win for free as a result of the extra bye. I suppose it makes sense because less footy and Raptors blindsiding everyone.

Before they shifted down to 4th Div, the teams were advised our first bye was worth full points like a forfeit, and the second one was just a bye round.