• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah definitely a rebuilding year here at Beecroft after losing quality across all grades. Doesn’t excuse our embarrassing showing at Lindfield unfortunately. A positive is that we have a young player base that should improve the longer we play together. I feel that iggies are facing similar problems to us at the moment.
Have they gone somewhere else or just retired?

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
What's more concerning in the Blunt Cup is the deferred game/forfeit situation. Subbies are allowing clubs to defer games because they don't have the numbers. I understand if it is COVID or weather related, but this is regularly not the case.
If you cannot field the team, should it not be a straight forfeit. Why do these clubs get the benefit of choosing when they play, as long as it suits them.
My spies in the Epping camp say that Briars just didn't want to go, so deferred. If so, how is this fair to the Epping playing group, who are in an already shit situation....

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
In Division 4, word around the traps is that Northern Saints, HAC and Canterbury will be lucky to maintain second grade for the rest of the year. If you look closely at Western Raptors, alot of double ups as well.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
What's more concerning in the Blunt Cup is the deferred game/forfeit situation. Subbies are allowing clubs to defer games because they don't have the numbers. I understand if it is COVID or weather related, but this is regularly not the case.
If you cannot field the team, should it not be a straight forfeit. Why do these clubs get the benefit of choosing when they play, as long as it suits them.
My spies in the Epping camp say that Briars just didn't want to go, so deferred. If so, how is this fair to the Epping playing group, who are in an already shit situation....
Woody, to be fair to Briars, we were forced to take the game to Blacktown due to continued problems with our ground availability.
It’s definitely a tough situation for us at Epping. Shit might be a bit of an oversell.
We are making the best of a tough situation.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
In Division 4, word around the traps is that Northern Saints, HAC and Canterbury will be lucky to maintain second grade for the rest of the year. If you look closely at Western Raptors, alot of double ups as well.
Having played HAC and Saints, I think they’ll be right. There will be tough weeks and there will be weeks that things are better.
If they can get through the tough ones, it will be easier.
I can’t imagine it’s easy to go on the road against us knowing we have 4 grades.
Saints were unfortunate that their colts weren’t local. I’m sure things might have been different with a couple of reinforcements

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Player count from the weekend - assuming everything entered correctly, of course ;)

HAC17
Berries21
Saints26
Raptors27
Renegades29
ROBRs31
Mac Uni33
Chatswood37
Merrylands37
Savers37
Epping38
Oysters43

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Away trip to Harbour was tough - I couldn't make it due to having flu but with few reserves there was no way our 2s were going to beat Eaysters and ones struggled manfully to get 3 tries against the ladder leaders.

The game was at Woollahra #1, and now one of our guys is on two types of antibiotics (and crutches) after a burn on his leg from the artficial turf.

Outlaw it. Might as well play on the sand at Lyne Park compared to that plastic tip.

Last edited:

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
We had our first loss to Newport on Saturday. We threw a lot at them early, and our back row of Hendo. Hammo and Adam were giving them nightmares. They withstood the barrage and with the help of a few yellow cards gradually pulled away from us 28-5. They are an interesting team. They use the ball well but I really think they are beatable.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Having played HAC and Saints, I think they’ll be right.

There are bad weeks for everyone, but in almost every case HAC had less than 26 players across 2 sheets. If everyone is on board with that, no problem, but jeez they're burning the candle at both ends.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any make up games occurring tomorrow?
I know the Saints have a game against Maccabi tomorrow night which I might wander across to. Always used to enjoy a beer in that Clubhouse when they were a powerhouse.

Wonder if they will convince Wykes to play for them for the rest of the year

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
You heard it first here folks....according to subbies the price for fielding ineligible players in multiple games and rounds is 2 competition points.

UNSW must be laughing themselves silly.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great catch up game last night at a freezing Porters between Lindfield and Breakers colts. A big Lindfield travelling contigent made the trek for what could be a preview of the GF. Lindfield have a big well drilled pack who dominated the set piece but Newport were able to convert every opportunity that presented itself to score a brave win against a very good Lindfield side. Breakers forwards saved their best scrum to the last play where they withheld Lindfield on their tryline to seal a 24-20 victory. Facebook has the jubilant scenes at games end.
Special call out to the young ref who did a very good job managing both teams in a very willing encounter in front of two sets of vocal fans.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
You heard it first here folks....according to subbies the price for fielding ineligible players in multiple games and rounds is 2 competition points.

UNSW must be laughing themselves silly.

UNSW and Canterbury might not be the only ones... I'm hearing word that another club is potentially fielding players from a grade club, without transfer. Said player/s have been recruited and looked after.
Problem for Subbies may be their jurisdication over the other club as they are not affiliated with NSW Rugby.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
UNSW and Canterbury might not be the only ones... I'm hearing word that another club is potentially fielding players from a grade club, without transfer. Said player/s have been recruited and looked after.
Problem for Subbies may be their jurisdication over the other club as they are not affiliated with NSW Rugby.
I would love more information on this - Need something juicy to get through work after a Long Weekend.

Can you give a rough location or Division of this club? - This stinks of a Div 2 type operation

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would love more information on this - Need something juicy to get through work after a Long Weekend.

Can you give a rough location or Division of this club? - This stinks of a Div 2 type operation

Who were UNSW getting, Southern District players?

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
DIV 2 ROUND 7 PREDICTIONS

Beecroft vs UNSW

First game at Headen since round 1 will inspire the boys to get up and stay competitive in this match. However, UNSW will be too classy and they need a response after a loss to valley. UNSW by 20

Lindfield vs Hawkesbury Valley

Match of the round. I’m going with the momentum and choosing valley for this one. They beat UNSW comfortably and Lindfield will get up and make this a tight affair. Valley by 5

Blacktown vs Briars

Briars make it two on the trot and bring a bit of life back into their season. Not looking good for Blacktown. Briars by 21

Newport vs Old Barker

Newport will blow BOBS off the park. Happy to be proven wrong though. Newport by 35

Hills vs Sydney Harlequins

Interesting encounter between two big packs, game to watch if you love set pieces. Hills got their season on track last round against BOBS and I expect that to continue at home this week. Hills by 8

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

Beecroft vs UNSW: Cricket score pendng, UNSW by 50+
Lindfield vs Hawkesbury: HV way too polished for an improvng Old Soldier, HV by 30+
Blacktown vs Briars: A yawnfest coming here in a high scoring non tackling encounter. I'll take total points over 70 and Briars to just edge out the result 40-36.
Newport vs BOB's: Breakers have some injury concerns that may see this tighter than expected. I'll go with the Breakers at home by 15.
Hills Vs Harlequins: MOTR, this will be brutal in the fowards. Im going to step out on a limb and say this will end in a draw.

O

Old High Boy

The Menai vs Sydney Irish game is a top of the table clash in the Jeffrey Cup tomorrow. I'd say Menai in a tight one, with a few cards to be thrown in as well..
(and what a pity that Clutch don't televise Div 5 matches..)