• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not wanting to add to the Subbies HQ pile-on however...Radford Cup starts on Saturday and it is THURSDAY. There is still no draw out so nobody knows who, where or when we are playing. See yesterday's post for my thoughts on the knock-on impact for clubs.

Saw a post from Saints that they've got their fixture for the weekend, so it must have been distributed.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Saw a post from Saints that they've got their fixture for the weekend, so it must have been distributed.
Yep, first round matches emailed after lunch. Said they'll finalise the draw when they confirm the # of teams. We all roll with the punches but hard to keep U21 interested when you can't tell them what is expected of them. Think they're just all happy to play (if we can get a ground that the council hasn't closed !).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
(if we can get a ground that the council hasn't closed !).

That will be the bigger challenge this weekend I think.

I think if the communication is that Radford Cup will be at approx 8 Saturdays of your life and then support Grade for the rest of the season, that is about as good as you can do most years.

As you've posted, not knowing the number of teams is the biggest problem. I've spoken to clubs who had good numbers (including Colts) before The Big Wet hit, and now they're scrambling. Particularly as people see their non-rugby mates on overseas trips, living it up and NOT getting bashed around on a Saturday :)

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The page is in place for the Radford Cup draw, with TBC after round 1

Balmain had proposed Colts earlier in the year but doesn't look like they'll make it. Good to see Wakehurst, Mac Uni, and Brothers got in there with Saints.

Renegades might be able to weld together some U21 guys by next year from the local junior rugby, some league crossovers, and contact with schools. Gotta get in before Eastwood arrive and hoover up the local talent ;)

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Renegades might be able to weld together some U21 guys by next year from the local junior rugby, some league crossovers, and contact with schools. Gotta get in before Eastwood arrive and hoover up the local talent ;)
Do you know if they've been doing that already? I wonder if there could be some reciprocal arrangement made with them for overflow and/or warrhousing of players?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Do you know if they've been doing that already? I wonder if there could be some reciprocal arrangement made with them for overflow and/or warrhousing of players?

We're certainly interested in talking to Eastwood when they move just up the road about a relationship - to head off the potential destruction if nothing else.

TBH, I don't think the Premier Clubs are interested based on the communication I've had from other Subbies clubs. The bigger Premier outfits have 4 Colts + a few spares so they'll generally play each other when they can.

Remember also that Premier Colts is U20, while Subbies is U21. The Colts 4s team at Eastwood etc. tends to be the younger guys (18ish) and putting them into Radford Cup against 21yo can be a bit of a punish.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Woollahra council as usual, all grounds open except the Rugby fields, Rushcuttters Bay and Woollahra 2.
Only Sydney council to make the call on Fridays and no further inspections till Monday.
Hopefully Colleagues v Mosman can re-locate.
Update- Rawson Oval is open, hopefully they can switch it there.

Last edited:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
We're certainly interested in talking to Eastwood when they move just up the road about a relationship - to head off the potential destruction if nothing else.
Any word on when that move is likely to happen?

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
That will be the bigger challenge this weekend I think.

I think if the communication is that Radford Cup will be at approx 8 Saturdays of your life and then support Grade for the rest of the season, that is about as good as you can do most years.

As you've posted, not knowing the number of teams is the biggest problem. I've spoken to clubs who had good numbers (including Colts) before The Big Wet hit, and now they're scrambling. Particularly as people see their non-rugby mates on overseas trips, living it up and NOT getting bashed around on a Saturday :)
Colts boys are very keen and the short season was a very big attraction as quite a few are cashed up and busting to travel after COVID-imposed lockdown. Reckon the tail end of the Radford Cup season will be difficult as teams (including ours) have the young 'uns shed their footy boots for walking boots and hop on a plane mid-year. Still, better problem to have than no Colts !

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Woollahra council as usual, all grounds open except the Rugby fields, Rushcuttters Bay and Woollahra 2.
Only Sydney council to make the call on Fridays and no further inspections till Monday.
Hopefully Colleagues v Mosman can re-locate.
Update- Rawson Oval is open, hopefully they can switch it there.

Subbies wet weather updates here

Currently:

Div 1
Colleagues v Mosman
1sts 3.30pm, 2nds 2.15pm, Colts 1pm, & 3rds 12pm on Woollahra Oval #3
4ths 1.30pm, 5ths 12.30pm & Colts 2nds 11.30am - MOVED to Rawson Park
6ths - CANCELLED

Div 2
Briars v Sydney Harlequins - POSTPONED

Div 4
Redfield v Manly Savers - MOVED to Alwyn Lindfield Reserve #2, Glenwood

Div 5
Brothers v Oatley - MOVED to Keirle Park, Manly

Radford Cup Colts
Brothers v Nth Saints - MOVED to Keirle Park, Manly

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4
Mac Uni v Canterbury - POSTPONED

Radford Cup Colts
Mac Uni v Wakehurst - MOVED to Wakehurst Rugby Park

park footy enthusiast

Bob McCowan (2)
Early predictions for Round 1 of Division 1:
KNOX VS ST PATS: A better return to the Kentwell Cup, St Pats could not ask for. Knox won’t have the team to compete as Pats showed themselves to be the form team of Barraclough last year. PATS BY 20.
FOREST VS HUNTERS: Both clubs seem to be claiming a lack of numbers behind closed doors. Forest with Kentwell experience to use Fortress Melwood to win. FOREST BY 8.
PETERSHAM VS BLUE MOUNTAINS: If there was a game to be at last weekend, it was the trial between Waverley and Blue Mountains. The firepower in the Mountain Goats’ backline will be too much for the Shammies. MOUNTAINS BY 30.
COLLEAGUES VS MOSMAN: The clash of the Kentwell titans and likely the two to fit out the club championship. A great battle at Woolahra. MOSMAN BY 12.
DRUMMOYNE VS WAVERLEY: This is the match of the round, possibly the match of the year. Waverley were amazing last week against Blue Mountains and have been training the house down in pre-season. Drummoyne’s preparations have been less than stellar but you know Kentwell Cup legend, John Sinisa, will have the Dirty Reds machine firing. WAVERLEY BY 2 off a late game drop goal by Rory Garrett.
You up lol?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Horrific injury to young Lindfield colt saw the match abandoned. The players screams as the ambos put his leg into a splint will haunt anyone that heard it. Best wishes from all to that brave young man for a full recovery on what is the worst Ive seen.

In front of a very healthy wet weather crowd the Breakers dominated 1st grade and the game was over by halftime. The Newport backline is red hot, a very high quality 5/8th has plenty of pace and skill outside him and the Breakers will put on cricket scores against some of the lesser sides.
2nds lost on the bell and 3s and 4s won in entertaining encounters. Visiting clubs will love the atmosphere and the post clubhouse action.

Lindfield looked pretty limited in 1's but solid through the grades and their colts look well drilled. They had numbers to burn all day and looked like they could of run out a 5th grade. Old soldier looks like they will have a pretty good year.

Mule

Stan Wickham (3)
What a disaster Div 2 is after just one week. Is anyone suprised about player numbers across some of these clubs? How did subbies let it get to this when half the clubs can only field 1s 2s and at best colts? I dont buy the 'we were lied to by clubs around numbers' as Subbies has a history of ignoring clubs and telling them more players will show up, its only early in the season...etc etc. How do the few clubs that can field all grades hold players for the season when they will play 3 or 4 games. Heads need to roll.

Cant wait to see the Knox chaos play out this week around how many grades they put out in Div 1.

Its a race between the big 4...UNSW, Lindfield, Hills and Newport for Clubchamps with my money on UNSW.
FYI @Heavyd lower grades Knox (v St Pats) was chaos free

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 4
Savers v Redfield - At home this will be too much for Manly against a strong Redfield outfit. Redfield by 7
HAC v Saints - HAC at home have always been tough and at times unbeatable. I expect HAC by 28.
Renegades v Epping - Epping limped home last week while Renegades at their fortress are really difficult. Renegades don't lose two in a row. Renegades by 12.
Harbour v Stags - Harbour looked the form team of Division 4 last week. Chatswood have gone up a year too early. Harbour by 40.
Mac Uni v Canterbury - I am hearing Canterbury are struggling. Mac Uni are rallying behind Jim Vuniwa. Uni by 5.
Raptors v Merrylands - Looking very strong this year and top 4 bound in each grade. Merrylands by 15.

3/5.

HAC once again at home with the win, you just don't beat HAC at home. Merrylands and Harbour had big wins.

In a few upsets, Manly went all the way to Redfield and stole the biscuits.... they look a very big force. Epping also came away with the upset against Renegades as well.

This competition looks like it has 6 major players and then a fair few making up the numbers.