• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Subbies seem to be getting a little sloppy with registrations this year. One div 4 club has played players who have sprung up in other subbies clubs. Said players changing the spelling of their name or using fairly unusual surnames but in one case the same photo.
Hasnt this already been dealt with between UNSW and Canterbury? It seems a bit boring to continue with Div 4 shenanigans anyway. The main focus should be on Kentwell, although it seems no one else from Div 1 frequents these forums anymore

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
Hasnt this already been dealt with between UNSW and Canterbury? It seems a bit boring to continue with Div 4 shenanigans anyway. The main focus should be on Kentwell, although it seems no one else from Div 1 frequents these forums anymore
I’m a Div 1 lurker. Was surprised at waverley getting up in all grades against Colleagues.

it seems as though Div 1 clubs are immune to the mid year drop in player numbers. Many clubs struggling to fill 5th grade and even Mosman and Colleagues have had players play multiple games to fill teams.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Div 1 Wrap up over the weekend
Colleagues - Waverley - Small upset with Waverley knocking off colleagues and looked like they had a good day across all grades away from home.
HH - Knox - We were good against Knox, although an unbiased opinion was we got lucky with a few tries which may have drifted forward early otherwise Knox may have had a bit of a lead on us. They have a great set piece but are missing just that little bit extra to go further. If they went to Div 2 they would be strong
Mosman Drummoyne - Closer than most expected - but the outcome the same never the less
St Pats - Petersham - Normal order restored with St Pats throwing a win away by choosing not to tackle.
Forest- Blueys - Bit of back and forth - Forest probably getting their last win for the year. Blueys had about 17 players in the bin throughout the game which usually happens with local refs at Melwood. They know where their bread is buttered.
Eastcoast - keep up the D1 content. Getting to that part of the year where the haves and have nots are beginning to separate.

Seems like you have a bit of an axe to grind with the "Hudson Hurtlocker"?

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Eastcoast - keep up the D1 content. Getting to that part of the year where the haves and have nots are beginning to separate.

Seems like you have a bit of an axe to grind with the "Hudson Hurtlocker"?
Appreciate the support - Hudson is a horrible place to play as an opposing player.
Very strong across the boards at St Pats, just noticed they were on the right side of alot of tight scorelines in Div 2 and now tasting a bit of their own in Div 1. No doubt they will string a few wins together towards the back end of the year. Although, while we are on it. How do you let a player run 45 metres across field and not make a tackle. Sloppy way to lose a game.
Seemingly a 2 horse race this year for the Cup, although you never know come finals time. Hopefully we are in it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Appreciate the support - Hudson is a horrible place to play as an opposing player.
Very strong across the boards at St Pats, just noticed they were on the right side of alot of tight scorelines in Div 2 and now tasting a bit of their own in Div 1. No doubt they will string a few wins together towards the back end of the year. Although, while we are on it. How do you let a player run 45 metres across field and not make a tackle. Sloppy way to lose a game.
Seemingly a 2 horse race this year for the Cup, although you never know come finals time. Hopefully we are in it.
Just reading Hudson has brought my mood down for the day.

Rae Rae

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yes my spies tell me the St Pats top brass were not particularly impressed as you could imagine. Bring your mouthguard to training stuff...

I'll leave season predictions for braver souls but I think it's a bit more open than you suggest.

Any word on the big D1 news from 2022 - the state of Lofberg Oval.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
@Pfitzy , I see pictures of the planned upgrades of your field, as part of the Parra Eels training centre - will you get to use the stands, etc?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Pfitzy , I see pictures of the planned upgrades of your field, as part of the Parra Eels training centre - will you get to use the stands, etc?

There are a few stages to the upgrade, but at some point we will be able to access new facilities, yes.

More details about what is happening here: https://www.kellyvillepark.com/what-we-re-doing

STATUS QUO: there are 5 fields in the complex, as per the diagram below.
Fields 1 & 2 are community Rugby League - effectively home to Kellyville Bushrangers Juniors but Parra Junior RL also bring in other clubs in wet weather.
Fields 3 & 4 are exclusively for use of the Eels (and are bloody nice as a result).
Field 5 we share with TAFE Polecats Rugby League (University Cup comp normally, but in an amalgamated comp due to numbers).

1656475995030.png

NEXT STAGE:
Fields 1 & 2 become Eels, with their CoE built next door as above.
Fields 3 & 4 become community facility for all sports - they're talking league, union, soccer, etc. Will have 4 changing rooms, ref's room, storage, kitchen, cafe/canteen, function room, 2500 seat grandstand, etc.
Field 5 gets a bit of an upgrade in terms of expanding our change sheds, canteen, and storage. They're also looking to add a proper ref's room, as well as setup a camera platform and maybe an electronic scoreboard.

There are more grounds being built around the area for rugby league, where a club like Rouse Hill Rhinos are outgrowing their current field at Kellyville. If Rhinos move, perhaps Bushrangers can have that spot (one full size field and 2 mod fields) to cater for their juniors, and Polecats could move onto Field 4. We might end up with exclusive use of Field 5 if the cards fall the right way. And we would actually like to stay on the top field and make it fulltime Rugby, with our own markings rather than having league paint on there. It actually drains a little better than 3/4 because it is up on the hill ;)

I can see us using Fields 3-5 to host finals or even Kentwell Cup. Only issue with that today: the facility isn't fully enclosed so enforcing gate might take a bit of work.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On a serious note: there are limited grounds that meet the criteria for the finals week, including 2 fields, enclosed facility, and available.

David Phillips is likely to be under development ruling out one field.
Some of the Premier Grounds don't have 2 ovals in their enclosure, and some aren't available due to SRU finals anyway.
Premier finals starts 13th Aug and run for ?4? weeks - so the early weeks of Div 2 where you need Major/Minor/Elimination semis is out of action.
Other facilities that are available with 2 ovals don't have a fence around both, presenting difficulties for ticketing.

The option of having the finals in two separate locations, or two separate days, is kind of ordinary. Running on a single oval presents logistical challenges with 10 games to run in a day for weeks 1 and maybe 2 of the finals series.

I remember finals in the mud at Sefton in 2008 and it was no fun. I don't think anyone wants to play there again.

Once we're down to grand final day everything is peachy.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Once we get our new facilities built out, we can have a big division on two ovals down the bottom, and Division 5/6 up the top at Kellyville ;)

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
If subbies put DIV 2 in Sefton again they are more incompetent than this comedy circus currently suggests.
If Sefton is a bit rough for you, perhaps whalan where the subbies 7s was a few years back would be more to your liking. 6 fields and all!

Not sure your gps extends that far west though.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Sefton is a bit rough for you, perhaps whalan where the subbies 7s was a few years back would be more to your liking. 6 fields and all!

Not sure your gps extends that far west though.
My comment is in relation to its geographic location in a comp that is predominantly centred around clubs in the north and north west of Sydney. If subbies want finals to be played in from of no crowds then thats their decision.