• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Lurker

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree that is a top post from @Eyes and Ears

Yep. I have reffed a few matches recently and while I can let the occasional comment go, some of the players carry on like professional soccer players and I have had to march both sides in the same game as the momentum shifts.

I'm not as dedicated as some of the good refs ;) but my opening line in every pre-match to both playing groups: "My aim is to try and make less mistakes than all of you put together."

It is a little ice breaker and reminder that we're playing for the love of the game, not for sheep stations. While we want to compete and see good rugby, ultimately we all want to try and enjoy it, and that includes the referees.

I'd love more of the sideline crowd to pick up a flag or a whistle and help the game out. Particularly the Premier Clubs.
Fair play - some excellent points made here. As I acknowledged - these men and women are volunteers doing their best.

Subbies Standout

Frank Row (1)
Fair play - some excellent points made here. As I acknowledged - these men and women are volunteers doing their best.
Hey guys new to the forums here, the first comment I stumble across was this one referring to referring standards, seriously??? They are volunteers, would love to know how much time you dedicate towards subbies rugby @Lurker I reckon I’d have a good idea- very minimal!!!! Anyway good to see he has since switched up on his argument and agrees with the rest of us.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Was reading the update and Subbies have intervened and told Beecroft they are to play Newport this week and not Blacktown.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Was reading the update and Subbies have intervened and told Beecroft they are to play Newport this week and not Blacktown.

Just wrapping my head around the context: is this in place of the postponed Blacktown v Beecroft game from 16th July?

I see Beecroft Firsts have only played 9 games this season (1 bye, 1 washout v Blacktown) while everyone else has had 10-12.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Can anyone clarify what it happening with Div 1 this weekend? All cricket scores expected.

Knox - Waverley
Mosman - Petersham
Blue Mountains - Colleagues

Colleagues Forest Forfeitt? from earlier in the year - Was this confirmed?

Unsure when we will get to play Mosman - mid week or on a Sunday.
But surely the crowds want a 3rd v 4th mouth watering match up - rather than a Mosman walkover.

oldmate11

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just wrapping my head around the context: is this in place of the postponed Blacktown v Beecroft game from 16th July?

I see Beecroft Firsts have only played 9 games this season (1 bye, 1 washout v Blacktown) while everyone else has had 10-12.
It is. We were originally scheduled to play Blacktown this Saturday but that has been changed by subbies admin to Newport. Not too sure on the reasoning, my assumption is that playing Newport on the weekend will get all grades onto the park whereas a Blacktown fixture involving most likely only 1sts and colts could be completed midweek.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Can anyone clarify what it happening with Div 1 this weekend? All cricket scores expected.

Knox - Waverley
Mosman - Petersham

But surely the crowds want a 3rd v 4th mouth watering match up - rather than a Mosman walkover.
The update I received said Mosman vs Hunters Hill midweek at Boronia.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Righto Div 4 for Round 13:

Canterbury v Mac Uni - well really not sure what is going to happen here. Berries haven't taken the field since 25th June. Picking the students based on that.
Manly Savers v Redfield - Savers won the R2 fixture at Blacktown handily. They look to have added some depth since. Epping will hope Manly trip up as, even without a bonus point, Savers have more wins.
Saints v HAC - might depend how many HACers show up of course, but they've got some size and pace to do it at SnIves
Chatswood v Harbour - the Oysters to continue their undefeated season.
Merrylands v Raptors - home side with depth will have a few challenges but will do enough.
Epping v Renegades - we've got a few out this week and Epping will be driving for a big win to try and get to 2nd spot. I'm going to be sore on Sunday... hopefully still in good enough shape to run our women's tournament!

Subbies Standout

Frank Row (1)

Knox - Waverley
Mosman - Petersham

I don’t see this being mouthwatering, in fact I see mosman Walk over 2.0, from what I’ve seen from HH this year they rely to heavily on their no.12. Mosman by 10 under the Tuesday night lights

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
At the time Forest players were told on Thursday night it would be postponed until August 6th (this weekend) because of the rain, but then found out last week that we actually forfeited. Apparently (this part is hearsay I have no direct knowledge) *after* Forest players were told it was postponed then Colleagues said the field was open and the match could go ahead.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
At the time Forest players were told on Thursday night it would be postponed until August 6th (this weekend) because of the rain, but then found out last week that we actually forfeited. Apparently (this part is hearsay I have no direct knowledge) *after* Forest players were told it was postponed then Colleagues said the field was open and the match could go ahead.
This is incorrect. My knowledge of the situation was that both home grounds were shut when the two sides were suppose to meet in round 8 (2nd July) therefore it was moved to the first wet weather week. Both Woollahra Oval and Melwood were open Saturday 9th July (first wet weather week). Forest were aware the whole time the game was rescheduled to 9th July, but had heaps of players away so were praying for the washout again.

Subbies insisted all games that could be played were played that week and not on August 6th (second wet weather week) as it was more than likely the second wet weather week would be needed, which has proved the case with Colleagues now having to play Blue Mountains this Saturday. Therefore Forest elected to forfeit all grades.

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
I don’t see this being mouthwatering, in fact I see mosman Walk over 2.0, from what I’ve seen from HH this year they rely to heavily on their no.12. Mosman by 10 under the Tuesday night lights
Mosman wont know how to get out of the Military Road traffic. HH by 10

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
This is incorrect. My knowledge of the situation was that both home grounds were shut when the two sides were suppose to meet in round 8 (2nd July) therefore it was moved to the first wet weather week. Both Woollahra Oval and Melwood were open Saturday 9th July (first wet weather week). Forest were aware the whole time the game was rescheduled to 9th July, but had heaps of players away so were praying for the washout again.

Subbies insisted all games that could be played were played that week and not on August 6th (second wet weather week) as it was more than likely the second wet weather week would be needed, which has proved the case with Colleagues now having to play Blue Mountains this Saturday. Therefore Forest elected to forfeit all grades.
Ok thanks. I only know what the players got told as I no involvement with running the club and I did mention it was hearsay, so thanks for the clarification.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)

In this instance nice work Subbies. Newport will be everywhere come finals time so far better to field this fixture for Beecroft than a Blacktown 1s and Colts cricket score.

I see Breakers had challenged Lindfield to a 20 vs 20 boat race and they have accepted. Should be a giggle next Saturday.