• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

parkfootyenthusiast2

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 3:

Sydney Irish vs. Knox:
Potentially the clash of the round, Irish looking well up for the rigors of division 3, and at home. Knox started last year slow also before finding form later in the year, though will be boosted by the return of L Scott at Hooker. Irish by 7.

Sydney Harbour vs. Lane Cove Old Ignations:
Suspect Harbour will bounce back from an unexpected wet weather away drubbing from the Merrylands lads and right the ship this week aganst the joint venture. Harbour by 14.

Hawkesbury Valley vs. Merrylands:
Valley finding form with playing stocks returning and wildly playing their fifth straight home game of the year, but Merrylands have proven rock solid up in Div 3 also this year. Will take Merrylands by 3 in a close one.

Old Barker vs. Sydney Harlequins:
Very worrying signs for the Barker boys to start the year with a forfeit and two drubbings in three weeks, will be surprised if this is anything but a tune up game for the men from Waterloo. Quins by 21.

Results:
Irish by 5
Harbour by 17
Merrylands by 27
Quinns by 17

4/4 this week and within 5 on the margins for 3/4, can we get sportbets to offer odds on Div 3 - i'd hand in my resignation letter today.

This weeks tips to follow.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 3, Round 6:

Sydney Harlequins vs Merrylands:
Merrylands on an absolute tear and look right at home in Division 3, handily dismissing a rising Valley squad away from home. The Quinns boys will be at Waterloo where they play well, but I've got them going down. Merrylands by 10.

Knox vs LCOI:
Knox has gone down narrowly against 3 of the top 4 as they fight to stay within striking distance early - and I'm hearing their backline stocks are depleted this week.. The Joint Venture has shown signs but with Knox at home in an emotional week for the club, I'll take them to right the ship. Knox by 10.

Old Barker vs Hawkesbury Valley:
If the Barker boys are going to make anything about of this season it needs to start this week against Valley, who looked poor against Merrylands and seem like a week to week outfit at this stage. Going to assume Valley shows up this week at home (somehow at home yet again!?) Valley by 5.

Sydney Harbour vs Sydney Irish:
Game of the round. Irish play a very disciplined and ruthlessly effective (albeit boring as anything) Northern Hemisphere style, the Harbour lads play an expansive, throw it around, let the boys play style, if the rain holds off, I'm taking them to pip the Irish, handing them their first loss of the season. Harbour by 7.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Downside of a big club: early start for Halligan fixtures ;)

1000011922.png

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 1 tips!

Lindfield vs Drummoyne: Old Soldier wont be able to keep up with the skill and flair of Drummoyne this week. Will be interesting to see if they try to replicate the structures of the other clubs instead of a fairly easy to read game plan. Drummoyne have been very impressive with the right mix of X factor and structure to their side. I can see them winning this 14+
This aged well.

OLD SOLDIER 20+

park footy enthusiast

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 3, Round 6:

Sydney Harlequins vs Merrylands:
Merrylands on an absolute tear and look right at home in Division 3, handily dismissing a rising Valley squad away from home. The Quinns boys will be at Waterloo where they play well, but I've got them going down. Merrylands by 10.

Knox vs LCOI:
Knox has gone down narrowly against 3 of the top 4 as they fight to stay within striking distance early - and I'm hearing their backline stocks are depleted this week.. The Joint Venture has shown signs but with Knox at home in an emotional week for the club, I'll take them to right the ship. Knox by 10.

Old Barker vs Hawkesbury Valley:
If the Barker boys are going to make anything about of this season it needs to start this week against Valley, who looked poor against Merrylands and seem like a week to week outfit at this stage. Going to assume Valley shows up this week at home (somehow at home yet again!?) Valley by 5.

Sydney Harbour vs Sydney Irish:
Game of the round. Irish play a very disciplined and ruthlessly effective (albeit boring as anything) Northern Hemisphere style, the Harbour lads play an expansive, throw it around, let the boys play style, if the rain holds off, I'm taking them to pip the Irish, handing them their first loss of the season. Harbour by 7.
Results:
Merrylands by 11
Knox by 60!
Valley by 21
Irish by 22

3/4, mixed bag on the margins. Some big stories this week. Irish knocking off a fellow heavyweight convincingly, stamping their authority early on in the comp, whilst Merrylands still looking the part. Knox putting an absolute cricket score showing they won’t go down easy. Seasons all but over for BOBs and LCOI. Seems like a 5 horse race for 4 post season spots, and Valley will have something to say about that too.

Div 3 heating up, watch this space!!

Ref_Ted

Ward Prentice (10)
A lot of controversy in Colts had the crowd fired up with the ref blowing full time when the ball was still in play?
Yeah, I have had to do that once or twice. Hate doing it however we are pushed to call last play 2mins before the next game which gives you 34mins per half in Colts.
Praying for a knock-on, however a point comes when you just have to blow it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Had to change a Blunt Cup game from "3 minutes" to "Last play!" at a restart once after the Colts ref called it from the sideline. Fair enough - except to the Coach of the side who had just surrendered a lead...

He's now our First Grade coach and I have not been allowed to forget ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Two hotly contested matches at Mittigar between Raptors and Renegades yesterday.

Renegades 2s scored on the bell to make it 28-29 loss - a couple of better decisions with ball in hand earlier in the game would have seen us narrow winners IMHO.

First Grade saw Raptors come out of the blocks very smoothly and put on two quick tries. We hit back with a couple of our own and then took the lead before We eschewed a penalty right in front to make it an 8-point lead. They equalised and then it got a bit messy.

Lot of chat from both clubs on the field. TBH could have done without it as it just made everyone a little unreasonable.

Last edited:

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can anyone match it with the Blue Mountains in Kentwell? Seems as though they're head and shoulders above the rest. Also good to see Lindfield chalk up their first win in Kentwell but it doesn't get any easier as they head to Lapstone this weekend.

UNSW still without a win in 1st Grade but their draw has seen them leapfrog Petersham on the ladder, Newport with a very impressive win over Petersham in 1st Grade - not sure what's going on at Petersham but sitting last on the Barraclough ladder would have them worried.

Big weekend ahead at Hudson Park with Newport and St Pat's with every match a top of the table clash. Newport will be coming in droves with a point to prove!

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
SHUTE SHIELD IN SUBBIES

We (Brothers Colts) played Easts 4ths Colts and lost 87-0. We are yet to win a game but the boys toil manfully away at their task and we do our best to encourage them to play the game we all love to play. I have no idea why Easts want their fourth grade Colts to play 3rd division subbies rugby and also don't understand why they call themselves Sydney Harbour even though they wear Easts gear, as do their coaching staff and we played them at Woollahra Oval.

We turned up with 16 players but our hooker was injured. Easts had 33 players warming up. I told them about our situation and their coach 'graciously' said that we had to drop to 14 players unless I would let him run on more than the 23 players he was allowed. I explained the situation to him and the disparity in standards, numbers and resources of the two clubs but he was adamant that he would make us go to 14 unless I let him go above 23 players.

There was zero spirit of rugby on display. I have been in the same situation in previous seasons in subbies and have played clubs where they were in the same position. Nobody has ever applied the 14 person rule in my experience. I have even had clubs offer to give us players to even things up if we were short. The attitude of the Easts coach was the complete antithesis of what I thought amateur rugby was all about.

We lost one to injury in the first half so played the second with 15. Easts just kept on rolling on their players. To say that the Easts fourth grade Colts establishment lacked any sense of the spirit of rugby would be an understatement. I have never before been blackmailed into allowing another team to run on additional players under threat of making us go to 14. Until we played Easts that is.

Quite bizarre. Quite disappointing. Quite Shute Shield.

Based on what I experienced yesterday, the quicker we get Shute Shield Colts out of subbies rugby the better imho.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
For those who may be unaware the rule is that if a team calls for unopposed scrums then the other team may direct them to play with 14 players. We both knew the rule but most decent rugby people wave it off unless you're playing a serious grade of rugby.