• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Fletch

Frank Row (1)
There are a few schools that play rugby in Penrith arent there? plus the Penrith RSL juniors, so you'd think the 3 teams (including colts) plus a women's team would be the minimum.
I always think back to the 90s when they were a mid-table 1st division club doing ok - then the madness started with promotion into Shute.
Surely a club with 4 teams, decent coaches and a half decent club house would go well in subbies without the need to pay players.
There are some schools playing in non-regular competition.
The RSL Juniors have had a bit of a drop in playing numbers which hopefully they can build back up.
The Legless Emus (Golden Oldies) have been working hard and grown their numbers to 64 members, most of which are players and now Emus members as well.

Fletch

Frank Row (1)
Who knows. But what should be the plan is to rebuild the club from the ground up with a focus on building a junior/women's section.
There is a bit of info on penrithemus.com around this.
You are right re Shute Shield. I don't believe there is a lot in Subbies that would transfer to being a KPI for re admission.
Our Members don't want to relinquish our membership to the SRU, but at the same time, it's not even on the radar.

The Wombat

Chris McKivat (8)
SHUTE SHIELD IN SUBBIES

We (Brothers Colts) played Easts 4ths Colts and lost 87-0. We are yet to win a game but the boys toil manfully away at their task and we do our best to encourage them to play the game we all love to play. I have no idea why Easts want their fourth grade Colts to play 3rd division subbies rugby and also don't understand why they call themselves Sydney Harbour even though they wear Easts gear, as do their coaching staff and we played them at Woollahra Oval.

We turned up with 16 players but our hooker was injured. Easts had 33 players warming up. I told them about our situation and their coach 'graciously' said that we had to drop to 14 players unless I would let him run on more than the 23 players he was allowed. I explained the situation to him and the disparity in standards, numbers and resources of the two clubs but he was adamant that he would make us go to 14 unless I let him go above 23 players.

There was zero spirit of rugby on display. I have been in the same situation in previous seasons in subbies and have played clubs where they were in the same position. Nobody has ever applied the 14 person rule in my experience. I have even had clubs offer to give us players to even things up if we were short. The attitude of the Easts coach was the complete antithesis of what I thought amateur rugby was all about.

We lost one to injury in the first half so played the second with 15. Easts just kept on rolling on their players. To say that the Easts fourth grade Colts establishment lacked any sense of the spirit of rugby would be an understatement. I have never before been blackmailed into allowing another team to run on additional players under threat of making us go to 14. Until we played Easts that is.

Quite bizarre. Quite disappointing. Quite Shute Shield.

Based on what I experienced yesterday, the quicker we get Shute Shield Colts out of subbies rugby the better imho.
It’s a tough one. Its great that they’re able to fill out competitions to reduce byes. From their results, looks like their team was bolstered by players due to the fact they’re playing at home, so you might’ve been unlucky there. Regardless, the spirit of rugby should come into it, especially in Div 3.

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
This aged well.

OLD SOLDIER 20+
Great win by Lindfield. Always good to get off the mark.

Strange we haven't heard anything from Lindfield before the end of May though. Last year there were daily posts...

Other results went as expected. Forest put up another good fight but couldnt maintain it for the 80. Colleagues will be happy to have a win, although still at the bottom of the ladder. HH were very strong against a good Waverley and Blueys again are a cut above.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Bob McCowan (2)
SHUTE SHIELD IN SUBBIES

We (Brothers Colts) played Easts 4ths Colts and lost 87-0. We are yet to win a game but the boys toil manfully away at their task and we do our best to encourage them to play the game we all love to play. I have no idea why Easts want their fourth grade Colts to play 3rd division subbies rugby and also don't understand why they call themselves Sydney Harbour even though they wear Easts gear, as do their coaching staff and we played them at Woollahra Oval.

We turned up with 16 players but our hooker was injured. Easts had 33 players warming up. I told them about our situation and their coach 'graciously' said that we had to drop to 14 players unless I would let him run on more than the 23 players he was allowed. I explained the situation to him and the disparity in standards, numbers and resources of the two clubs but he was adamant that he would make us go to 14 unless I let him go above 23 players.

There was zero spirit of rugby on display. I have been in the same situation in previous seasons in subbies and have played clubs where they were in the same position. Nobody has ever applied the 14 person rule in my experience. I have even had clubs offer to give us players to even things up if we were short. The attitude of the Easts coach was the complete antithesis of what I thought amateur rugby was all about.

We lost one to injury in the first half so played the second with 15. Easts just kept on rolling on their players. To say that the Easts fourth grade Colts establishment lacked any sense of the spirit of rugby would be an understatement. I have never before been blackmailed into allowing another team to run on additional players under threat of making us go to 14. Until we played Easts that is.

Quite bizarre. Quite disappointing. Quite Shute Shield.

Based on what I experienced yesterday, the quicker we get Shute Shield Colts out of subbies rugby the better imho.

We've had pretty positive dealings with the various Shute Shield colts outfits in division 3 over the last two years, and the system seems to be a reasonable way to get smaller clubs going with colts and to find games for the Shute clubs runoff colts numbers, though why anyone would rather play 4s/5s colts at Easts as opposed to Colts at Harbour, Colleagues, Waverley etc is a bit of a head scratcher to me.

With that being said that Coach deserves a swift uppercut in my books, a quick glance at the table would have let him know they probably weren't in danger of leaking competition points regardless of the full complement of 15 being allowed., do better mate.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
We've had pretty positive dealings with the various Shute Shield colts outfits in division 3 over the last two years, and the system seems to be a reasonable way to get smaller clubs going with colts and to find games for the Shute clubs runoff colts numbers, though why anyone would rather play 4s/5s colts at Easts as opposed to Colts at Harbour, Colleagues, Waverley etc is a bit of a head scratcher to me.

With that being said that Coach deserves a swift uppercut in my books, a quick glance at the table would have let him know they probably weren't in danger of leaking competition points regardless of the full complement of 15 being allowed., do better mat

I think its a cultural thing. The Easts coach probably has only ever have known a stream of players and only cares about the result. Subbies mentality is the exact opposite, treasuring players and thinking big picture around participation.

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 1

Colleagues vs Forest: Who would of thought Colleagues would be 0-3 to start the season. They will be desperate for a win and at home will be tested by a rapidly improving Forest. Im going to go with the upset and think the boys in green can prolong their suffering. Forest by 5

Blue Mountains vs Mosman: MOTR top of the table clash, cracker game awaits. I'm going to go another upset here and go with the Whales to not only survive their only annual trip west of North Sydney but come away with the chocolates. Mosman by 3

Waverley vs HH: Another tough encounter with HH not having had the best of starts. Another great game on paper and I think HH will have an edge and another away team tip is locked in. HH by 7

Lindfield vs Drummoyne: Old Soldier gave a good account of themselves against HH last week and expect another improved performance. That said I cant see anything other than a Dirty reds victory after 80 mins. Reds by 10.

Good tipping here heavyd - may I ask what you were smoking when you tipped Mosman? I am a heavy user myself.

ref handed HH the game with an outrageous penalty count so I’ll give you 0/4.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 43

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Thats great. What do we know about Adam Fletcher. I agree in their plans to go back to subbies. Rugby in the west and the comp in general will benefit. Imagine them back in Div 1...
Adam Fletcher is a great rugby man and if Penrith are to make it back, it will be on the back of him and the team he puts together.

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
Good tipping here heavyd - may I ask what you were smoking when you tipped Mosman? I am a heavy user myself.

ref handed HH the game with an outrageous penalty count so I’ll give you 0/4.
Translation: Waverley were ill-disciplined as HH built phases. Young ref did a great job I thought to manage two high quality teams.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

ref handed HH the game with an outrageous penalty count so I’ll give you 0/4

Got 2/8 in the NRL comp too so had a shocker all round!

Forest were looking good but got run down, Mountains didnt look that flash against Forest the week before so that was a massive miss.
Dont think anyone saw the Old Solider result but I'll dust myself off and go again this week with more heroic tips.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can anyone match it with the Blue Mountains in Kentwell? Seems as though they're head and shoulders above the rest. Also good to see Lindfield chalk up their first win in Kentwell but it doesn't get any easier as they head to Lapstone this weekend.

UNSW still without a win in 1st Grade but their draw has seen them leapfrog Petersham on the ladder, Newport with a very impressive win over Petersham in 1st Grade - not sure what's going on at Petersham but sitting last on the Barraclough ladder would have them worried.

Big weekend ahead at Hudson Park with Newport and St Pat's with every match a top of the table clash. Newport will be coming in droves with a point to prove!

Petersham are a good side and they will make the semis. They had a red card in the 20th minute for striking after some grubby stuff off the ball which meant they were always going to struggle. Yet they still tackled hard right to the 80th min even when down by 30.

Plenty of big Fijian boys running around in their lower grades, they played with a lot of flair and their ball running was fantastic to watch. Be surprised if Petersham aren't everywhere come Semis time.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Petersham are a good side and they will make the semis. They had a red card in the 20th minute for striking after some grubby stuff off the ball which meant they were always going to struggle. Yet they still tackled hard right to the 80th min even when down by 30.

Plenty of big Fijian boys running around in their lower grades, they played with a lot of flair and their ball running was fantastic to watch. Be surprised if Petersham aren't everywhere come Semis time.
I generally agree re: Petersham but they aren't making life easy for themselves. They have a game in hand v UNSW where they should gain some ground. Will mean they can't afford any slip ups in the back of the year. Petersham colts with an impressive win at Newport elevates them well and truly into the title contenders alongside Newport and St Pat's. With the exception of their 4s who only have the 1 win to their name I'd say they'll be in all other finals, with Barraclough a bit touch and go.

Heure

Peter Burge (5)
I think its a cultural thing. The Easts coach probably has only ever have known a stream of players and only cares about the result. Subbies mentality is the exact opposite, treasuring players and thinking big picture around participation.
Can we name and shame the coach?
Absolute disgrace, any statements from East’s committee?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4
Redfield v Kings
Wakehurst v Chatswood
Canterbury v Hornsby
Raptors v Renegades

Let's call it 2.5 out of 4 as I missed the draw between us and Raptors ;)

Watched back a bit of Redfield v Kings as we've got ROBRs next week. Kings will rue a couple of miscues off the boot that gave Redfield some easy field position.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A couple of weeks back we played Wakehurst in McClean Cup and called it early after a serious knee injury to one of our young blokes.

Initial scans showed no serious damage but subsequent scans post-swelling have shown a completely ruptured ACL. Damn shame as he's only 18, a decent player, and did his other ACL last year in schools rugby :( Had him lined up to be our Colts #10 next year having already played First Grade and put in a good showing this year over 5 rounds.

That's our third season-ending injury - another guy blew his knee apart in a perfectly innocent tackle, and one of our older guys got spear tackled, breaking his wrist in trying to prevent a serious spinal injury.

Last edited: