• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Only games from Div 1 going ahead today is Blue Mountains v Dirty Reds

Only a limited number of Subbies games going ahead in the coastal fringe today. Full list of wet weather updates:

So today's matches going ahead:
1st Div - Blueys v DRR
2nd Div - Hills v Pats 1-3, Beecroft v Epping all games
3rd Div - Merrylands v Oysters, Cove/Iggies v HVRU moved to McQuade.
4th Div - Hornsby v Raptors, Renegades v Canterbury
5th Div - all games on with 3 moved (Mac Uni > Savers, Maccabi > Burra, Convicts > Blacktown)
Joy Johnson - Hornsby v Forest/Savers

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gotta say it doesn't look like a crash hot forecast for next week either:

1714775575832.png

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
St Pats belted Hills in Div 2 43 - 8.

Div 3
Hawkesbury belted Lane Cove / Iggies and Merrylands beat Sydney Harbour.

GD_Maccabi

Frank Row (1)
Food for thought for everyone which I hope is only partially motivated by feeling sorry for myself after a tough day for the Maccabi boys at Burraneer.

Home field advantage feels really important in Subbies - the big reason is that we've all got players who struggle to get to away fixtures for a variety of reasons (we lost four players when our home fixture was moved today), but there are also financial (canteen and sponsorship revenue) and community benefits from being a regular presence at one's home ground. The difference between home and away fixtures feels really important, and having regular enough home fixtures to build some kind of momentum for the community and financial stability can be the difference for clubs scrapping for survival like we've been over the last few years.

I get why the current system of trying to shift games to the away team's ground before using wet weather weeks exists, but it's hard to not feel aggrieved at losing out on a home fixture for reasons completely outside our control when there's a free weekend next week which exists for the specific reason of rescheduling games which were affected by weather which will now go unused for us. Would reversing the system, so the first priority is using the Wet Weather Weeks and the second is moving to the away ground, make more sense to anyone else?

Looking forward at the draw, between this week's fixture shift, a bye, an unlucky draw and a likely Convicts cancellation when they're away at the Bingham Cup, we'll have (at most) 4 home fixtures this season, with our next home fixture in Round 10 on June 29th. That's not anyone's fault, but it's hard enough trying to keep a one team club going at the best of times and the wet weather shift feels like the one factor in all of that which could be changed.

Apologies if this has been litigated before on these forums - I'm only an occasional reader - but is this something which it might be worth looking at changing for next season? What are other clubs' experiences with this one?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Food for thought for everyone which I hope is only partially motivated by feeling sorry for myself after a tough day for the Maccabi boys at Burraneer.

Home field advantage feels really important in Subbies - the big reason is that we've all got players who struggle to get to away fixtures for a variety of reasons (we lost four players when our home fixture was moved today), but there are also financial (canteen and sponsorship revenue) and community benefits from being a regular presence at one's home ground. The difference between home and away fixtures feels really important, and having regular enough home fixtures to build some kind of momentum for the community and financial stability can be the difference for clubs scrapping for survival like we've been over the last few years.

I get why the current system of trying to shift games to the away team's ground before using wet weather weeks exists, but it's hard to not feel aggrieved at losing out on a home fixture for reasons completely outside our control when there's a free weekend next week which exists for the specific reason of rescheduling games which were affected by weather which will now go unused for us. Would reversing the system, so the first priority is using the Wet Weather Weeks and the second is moving to the away ground, make more sense to anyone else?

Looking forward at the draw, between this week's fixture shift, a bye, an unlucky draw and a likely Convicts cancellation when they're away at the Bingham Cup, we'll have (at most) 4 home fixtures this season, with our next home fixture in Round 10 on June 29th. That's not anyone's fault, but it's hard enough trying to keep a one team club going at the best of times and the wet weather shift feels like the one factor in all of that which could be changed.

Apologies if this has been litigated before on these forums - I'm only an occasional reader - but is this something which it might be worth looking at changing for next season? What are other clubs' experiences with this one?
Nope.

If the game can be played, play.

The draw screws ya some times, you have to deal with it.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

I hear what you are saying. It’s an extremely tough situation.
it would be good if it happens at this time of year, clubs just swap their games, but planning and those financial factors probably intervene

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice work Fitzy - big result.

Cheers. Bit of a throw together team with some late drop outs on the day. A few bad tackles from Canterbury got them on the wrong side of the ref, and allowed us to ride penalties up the field.

Canterbury towelled us up in 2nd grade - I would say the level of talent there is first grade quality. We had our moments but difficult to beat the Fijian offload game

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)

Understand the desire for home games and the struggle to get players to travel at the best of times. But where possible should always play cause you never know what might happen.

The forecast for next week is great and if clubs get washed out again there’s only one more Wet Weather weekend and if you get another washout your asking guys to play Saturday/Sunday or mid week a week before finals or worse when your not in contention.

We had a catch up game a few years ago that got pushed back and then another round was washed out and we ended up having to play on a Sunday at the end of the season in a game that meant nothing as we were out of finals contention.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Solutions aren't easy. There are clubs that will have an advantage with ground availability away from the deathly grip of Council (e.g. Canterbury)and sometimes luck just deserts you. To be clear, the provision is:

1) If your ground is shut, find a nearby alternative OR
2) Your opposition use their ground, or find an alternative OR
3) Play on the wet weather weekend.

As others have mentioned: what if there are no wet weather weekends left?

At Renegades we're reasonably confident of getting on the pitch regardless of weather, so I tend to give the WWW to the league club we share the ground with - ensures I basically get the draw I need.

Communicating with the opposition to see if they are willing to swap in the second round - logistically this won't work for some clubs who can't secure their ground due to other sports.

Playing on Sundays is probably a dated system, and midweeks are extremely difficult.

Splitting points might be an alternative but that will cause outcry I'm sure.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
We had to play a make up game vs Hawkesbury in the 90s on a Sunday - the night after a massive end of season dinner. Finding 4 grades that day was a challenge....

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nope.

If the game can be played, play.

The draw screws ya some times, you have to deal with it.
I think if a game is delayed to a wet weather weekend and then that dedicated weekend is washed out it should be treated as a draw for the respective comp grades. Someone having to travel mid week or on a Sunday away if always going to struggle. double wipe out wet weathers rarely happen but if they do I think it is the only fair result.

BJT

Peter Burge (5)
I think if a game is delayed to a wet weather weekend and then that dedicated weekend is washed out it should be treated as a draw for the respective comp grades. Someone having to travel mid week or on a Sunday away if always going to struggle. double wipe out wet weathers rarely happen but if they do I think it is the only fair result.
Often these days its a cat-and-mouse game to see who will pull the forfeit first....