• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
Having played at Uni in the early 80s, I saw that team in action a few times. I wasn't in 1s, thank God, so I saw it from the sideline. They were awesome. Even against a Uni backline with 3 Farr-Jones brothers, Jimmy LeStrange and Michael Hawker.
And the remarkable thing about them was that they seemed to be having so much fun doing it. There was laughter as they weaved their magic. Don't underestimate Lloyd Walker, either. IMO he had as much skill as any Ella.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
The Randwick side from 1991 was pretty good too... 1 Daly 2 Kearns 3 McKenzie 4 Kava (state rep) 5 ? 6 Poido 7 ? 8 Maxwell / Cheika (not Michael but his brother) 9 ? 10 Knox 11 Campese 12 Walker 13 ? 14 Jorgenson 15 ?

Half the forward pack went on to win the world cup a couple of months later, Campese was the best in the world that year, Jorgenson had just made the Wallabies and was about to defect, David Knox and Lloyd Walker as the 10/12. I forget some of the players, namely Kava's second row partner - may have been Warrick Waugh? the half, centre and fullback. When did the Fijian/Australian winger retire as Campo may have been fullback. Latham didn't come into the side until 2 or 3 years later.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The other lock was Warwick Waugh, Aussie D. During the 91 season Waugh and Eales were the two young bucks vying for the same spot in the Wallabies second row beside Rod McCall. Waugh was probably a bit more physical and Eales a tad more athletic but there was hardly a struck match between them. A couple of weeks before the first test in June (against Wales?) Waugh broke his ankle and the rest is history. Was it 94 or 95 (or possibly 96) Eales missed a season due to a shoulder reconstruction? Anyway that year Waugh got a clear run at one second row spot and acquitted himself well but he never could catch up the ground he'd lost to Eales.

The Fijian winger was Acura Niuqila, played 3 tests for Australia. Peter Jorgensen played for Australia against Scotland in 92 and almost scored a try with his first touch. There are some who say his brother, Michael, also an Australian Schoolboy, was better. Wasn't Brad Burke still playing halfback for Randwick in 91?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The Randwick side from 1991 was pretty good too... 1 Daly 2 Kearns 3 McKenzie 4 Kava (state rep) 5 ? 6 Poido 7 ? 8 Maxwell / Cheika (not Michael but his brother) 9 ? 10 Knox 11 Campese 12 Walker 13 ? 14 Jorgenson 15 ?
John Maxwell was the other flanker wasn't he ? Though he was coaching the side just 3-4 years later. Michael Cheika the no8.

Darren Junee would have been the outside centre and I'm guessing Tim Kelaher, who became a Wallaby, was the fullback.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
John Maxwell was the other flanker wasn't he ? Though he was coaching the side just 3-4 years later. Michael Cheika the no8.

Darren Junee would have been the outside centre and I'm guessing Tim Kelaher, who became a Wallaby, was the fullback.

Gavin Boneham was around the place, too, a very good tall backrower, might have been a few years earlier.

Maxwell had a long run as captain of the Australian Sevens team.

Junee and Kelaher both played for Eastwood, somewhere along the way.

Talking of the Ellas, I was at Coogee Oval watching the Wicks dismantle the Woodies one Saturday afternoon, the ref gave a penalty against us for some unknown and unknowable reason, and I asked Glen Ella who was just near the sideline where I was standing whether he knew what it was for. He smiled at me and said, "no idea, mate".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With all the players potentially available to Uni this year, have they been able to roll out their #1 team in the Shute Shield with all S14 and academy players running on in the first grade?

Cyril Towers (30)
With all the players potentially available to Uni this year, have they been able to roll out their #1 team in the Shute Shield with all S14 and academy players running on in the first grade?

There's not enough room in 1st grade to run them all on and several have missed a bit through injury. Halangahu has been out all season after a shoulder recon and Alfi Mafi injures his hammy every time he plays. They have 3 S15 contracted props so one misses out, lately it's been Ryan. Luke Jones has been playing 2nd grade and Jono Jenkins as well until the last couple of weeks. Huxley has been out injured for a month and Al Campbell hasn't been sighted even though he's back in the country and it seems Will Caldwell is sick again or recovering.
Halangahu is the biggest loss, he is a class above at Shute Shield level.

Status
Not open for further replies.