• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs vs Brumbies. Give us a hand mate? 2011R18

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Not a comment on the rightness or wrongness of gits' decision, but on the waratahs playing attitude. I bet barnes would have kicked it out.

G

GC

Carter had the same opportunity to deny the Blues a bonus point and kicked it out if I remember correctly. Shocking decision giving the undeserving Blues a leg up. ;)

Anyway, moving on - I hope the Tahs thrash the ponies and get as high up the ladder as they can. I don't know if results can conspire to produce a Reds v. Tahs final but it'd be nice to think so.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Mumm made the same call against The Force back in round whatever at the SFS and kicked the ball out. The Tahs were in a pretty good position to put the points on the board.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mumm made the same call against The Force back in round whatever at the SFS and kicked the ball out. The Tahs were in a pretty good position to put the points on the board.

Pretty sure we were next to the sideline?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you can point out where anyone said that the brumbies should have not tried to win the game vs the reds I would much appreciate it, because I don't recall seeing that anywhere?

Brumbies should concentrate on themselves and do what is best for them and that is win the game. How do you ensure you win them game when you are leading after the siren and have a penalty?

Discuss.

You don't turn down easy points...

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
What does that have to do with anything?

The fact is the Brumbies played for maximum points .

The Reds have no one but themselves to blame for not getting a bonus point.

considering their playing roster, their pre season potential and the shit that has gone down in brumbie land this year- id suggest that equal 3rd last on the ladder is disgraceful. 3rd, 4th or 5th on the australian confrence doesnt matter -they have had the worst season of all the aussie teams.
there is no need to continue circling this, you may not agree with me but playing for an extra 3 points that might get them to 4th last on the ladder instead of third last is pathetic. i think its a joke that once they were out of finals contention git ashleycooper alexander wernt playing in the positions they will be required for the national team anyway- but thats another matter

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
considering their playing roster, their pre season potential and the shit that has gone down in brumbie land this year- id suggest that equal 3rd last on the ladder is disgraceful. 3rd, 4th or 5th on the australian confrence doesnt matter -they have had the worst season of all the aussie teams.
there is no need to continue circling this, you may not agree with me but playing for an extra 3 points that might get them to 4th last on the ladder instead of third last is pathetic. i think its a joke that once they were out of finals contention git ashleycooper alexander wernt playing in the positions they will be required for the national team anyway- but thats another matter

It really is sour grapes when you try and steer the conversation towards the Brumbies' general failure this year and completely shut out the point of the discussion.

The fact is they did what any team would do. Take the points.

They're playing for a respectable finish to their year.

Your only gripe is that it was against your team.

And it isn't the worst season of all the Aussie teams because they're going to finish above the Rebels, and if results go their way they will finish against the Force.

Those 3 points against the Reds could be crucial.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Oh, and I also hope that the Tahs decide to play expansive running rugby. However, I would suggest I would need to spot a flock of pork first.

Then it must have been raining pig shit over eastern Sydney on Saturday.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i want to make it clear the reds are not my team-
and there are a few examples this year when teams havnt taken the points in the same situation
and my point about the worst performing aussie team wasnt in relation to the table
can this be done now-

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Carter had the same opportunity to deny the Blues a bonus point and kicked it out if I remember correctly. Shocking decision giving the undeserving Blues a leg up. ;)

Anyway, moving on - I hope the Tahs thrash the ponies and get as high up the ladder as they can. I don't know if results can conspire to produce a Reds v. Tahs final but it'd be nice to think so.

You don't remember correctly, he kicked the ball out from just in his own half eventually. Not quite a cast-iron chance.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You don't turn down easy points...

This sympathy for the Reds argument is just plain and utter bullshit. Here is a clearer perspective, the game was not out of reach for the Reds and by Giteau taking the shot potentially compromised a much deserved Brumbies victory. All Moore was interested in was ending the game and sealing the win. This sympathy for the Reds angle is nothing more than a myth. Remember this is the same Matt Giteau that did not have the fortitude to play for the win against the Force so why did he compromise the victory in order of three more points added too his points record? It is very clear to me that he has niether the brains or or the heart of Stephen Moore. I don't know Matt Giteau but I have no problem judging a person by their actions and on that basis it is my opinion that Matt Giteau is somewhere between a princess and a selfish little brat.

Seeing this is the Tahs vs Brumbies thread, I hope the Tahs just give it too the Brumbies and Give Al Baxter the happy home ground send off he much deserves. That aside, as a nuetral I just want to see strong competition for Wallaby Jersey's.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Not that I disagree with your assessment of gits (as any witnesses to our little twitter fight on Saturday could back me up on) but perhaps the rubbishing he copped from many punters and journos for kicking the ball out v the force was ringing in his ears as was deciding wether to end the game or go for poles

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was an easy shot at goal, and Giteau had been kicking perfectly all night.

It was his decision, and he had the confidence to make the kick.

The way the Brumbies defended all match, he probably also had confidence knowing that if the Reds had regained the ball the Brumbies would've smashed them back towards their line.

Those extra points have now helped the Brumbies in possibly overtaking the Force for 3rd place on the Australian conference ladder.

Not the ideal result they had hoped for at the start of the season, but a fairly respectable result for a team that has struggled all year.

His decision to kick the ball out against the Force was an entirely different situation.

The Brumbies' had been lucky that JOC (James O'Connor) missed the kick for the win, and after turning over the ball back to the Force near their own line they were awarded a penalty.

The Force backrow had dominated all night and there was a massive risk the Brumbies would either turn over the ball, or give away a penalty if they had continued on.

With so little chance of running 90m to score, and the 2 points for the draw in place Giteau made the correct decision for his team.

Some people need to forget this ludicrous notion that the Australian teams need to help each other out.

This is a provincial club competition, and the Reds and the Tahs should be given no favours.

The preciousness from some Reds' fans following the game is at Irish levels following the BOD incident in '05.

Status
Not open for further replies.