• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mowen, Fava get call, otherwise Waratahs stick to the tried and tested

By Samantha Broun
February 09, 2009

NSW WARATAHS coach Chris Hickey has named two debutants in his starting side to take on the Hurricanes in the opening Super 14 match at Westpac Stadium in Wellington on Saturday night.
In his first Super 14 match as coach, Hickey has chosen 17 players in his 24-man squad who lined up in the final last year.

Ben Mowen will start at blindside flanker and partner captain Phil Waugh. Scott Fava will play his first game for NSW at No.8, meaning he has played with each of the Australian Super franchises.

Regular No.8 Wycliff Palu will make his return from shoulder surgery from the bench.

Kurtley Beale has won the hotly contested battle for the starting fly-half jersey from Daniel Halangahu and Luke Burgess has been given the nod at half-back ahead of Brett Sheehan.

Hickey has continued Australian coach Robbie Deans's move to play Timana Tahu at inside centre, while youngster Rob Horne will start outside him.

Lote Tuqiri and Lachie Turner are on the wing and Sam Norton-Knight has retained the starting full-back jersey.

Hickey is yet to settle on his front-row reserves with Adam Freier still to be cleared from injury.

Debutant Damien Fitzpatrick comes into the squad, while Dan Palmer and Jeremy Tilse are in the running as backup props.

AAP

Sam Norton-Knight,
Lachie Turner,
Rob Horne,
Timana Tahu,
Lote Tuqiri,
Kurtley Beale,
Luke Burgess,
Scott Fava,
Phil Waugh (capt),
Ben Mowen,
Will Caldwell,
Dean Mumm,
Al Baxter,
Tatafu Polota-Nau,
Benn Robinson.

Res:
Adam Freier/Damien Fitzpatrick,
Jeremy Tilse/Dan Palmer,
Chris Thomson,
Wycliff Palu,
Brett Sheehan,
Tom Carter,
Daniel Halangahu

How things have change from having no backs to having a gun unit, but now a pop gun backrow.

Come back Rocky, if you do I may even buy one of your overpriced shirts at David Jones.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
We had the same backline last year and I don't recall anything brilliant about them other than their amazing ability to bomb opportunities and make schoolboy mistakes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
naza said:
We had the same backline last year and I don't recall anything brilliant about them other than their amazing ability to bomb opportunities and make schoolboy mistakes.

Ahem, I do belive that Carter has moved to the bench...

But anyway, Lachie Turner mainly had very average games last year - bad case of second year syndrome. He should be past it this year. Also don't forget that for just over half the season last year they persisted with starting Sheehan. Unless second year syndrome hits Horne as well, then he (and Tahu) will both be better for the last year of experience.

I'm expecting an improvement from the Tahs backs. Shame about the forwards. :(

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Tahs were also coached by McKenzie who wasn't known for his free flowing rugby.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Going from Carter to Horne is a big shift in thinking. I think Carter was a bit misunderestimated by a few guys here, but I'm excited about Horne's inclusion.

One question: who will partner Horne when Tahu blows up? Carter or Hangers, I wonder? My pref would be 12. Horne 13. Carter.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Given that Palu would be on the bench, the starting XV is predictable. As mentioned by yours truly elsewhere this, of itself, is a weakness, and the lack of quality in the reserves depreciates the roster further.

Alas Mowen is no Elsom, Fava no Palu nor a Lyons, and Mumm no Vickerman.

naza is right, or almost: the backline has the same personnel used last year but with Tahu replacing Carter at 12 instead of being (principally) on the wing, and having a truckload of Wallabies content, we are counting him as a brand new player.

He will have to be else it will be the same old, same old.

The same old backs got us to the Super14 final, but we don't have the same old in the pack and that is more significant.

However, I am chuffed by the performance of the Tahs in the two trials I saw. If we can keep most of the forwards on the ground for a lot of the game the Tahs will give a good account of themselves, but it assumes that the number of turnovers will decrease.

And before a game we are often like opposing generals and scared of our own deficiencies. The clear headed ones are aware that opponents have theirs also and target them.

Such were Lee and Grant. ;)

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Scarfman said:
Going from Carter to Horne is a big shift in thinking. I think Carter was a bit misunderestimated by a few guys here, but I'm excited about Horne's inclusion.

One question: who will partner Horne when Tahu blows up? Carter or Hangers, I wonder? My pref would be 12. Horne 13. Carter.
I concur- having previously being lambasted for stating that Carter had a very solid season, last year.
Frankly I am still to be convinced re Tahu @ 12- he will really need to pick it up, especially in defence. The Canes should provide a solid examination.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I was first on the Carter bandwagon if memory serves. Don't write him off just yet. I reckon the Tahs may have trouble getting over the advantage line with Fava at 8 and the prospect of Beale and Tahu paired together in defence is a concern.

Or the Tahs may go the other direction and just play very expansive, with Waugh, Beau Robinson & Ben Coridas splitting the minutes at 7 & 6.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Carter is the white Steve Kefu. I just hope he never falls into a Wallaby jersey the way Kef did.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The ball goes:

Burgess ... who flops a looping inaccurate pass to ...
Beale ... who thinks about the chip but decides to dish it out to ...
Horne ... who sees Rodney bearing down at speed, considers his options, and hands off to ...
Carter ... who hits the line hard, hangs on to the pill, gains 5 metres, delivers nice ball for phase 2.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Noddy said:
Carter is the white Steve Kefu. I just hope he never falls into a Wallaby jersey the way Kef did.

Yeah, cause we really want Barnes with a mortgage on the jersey, kicking away all our hard won possession ::)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Barnes, Gits, Morty, Stani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Timana, Horne, Smith, JOC (James O'Connor), Daruda, daylight, Carter.

I think we'll be ok

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Carter was good for Beale last season, his strong defence and the ability to set up for the next phase was very important. It was the type of role Grey did.

S

Spook

Beale, Tahu and Horne. Could be exceptional. Looking forward to the weekend :thumb

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Timana Tahu: I didn't know what I was doing
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Iain Payten

February 10, 2009 12:00am

TIMANA Tahu believes he's a better footballer now than in his NRL days but admitted yesterday that in much of his first year of rugby, "I didn't know what I was doing".

Tahu's frank confession came as the dual international was named as the Waratahs' No. 12 for NSW's opening Super 14 clash with the Hurricanes on Saturday.

Getting the nod over 2008 stalwart Tom Carter, Tahu will join five-eighth Kurtley Beale and exciting teenager Rob Horne in a potentially electric NSW midfield against the Hurricanes in Wellington.

The attacking flair of the Tahs' trio could prove a decisive asset but defence is sure to be more crucial as they mark up against the All Blacks centres Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith. Defensive duties were problematic for Tahu in his first year in rugby - particularly at No. 12 for the Wallabies - but after an off-season of intensive work, the centre believes he has fixed his problems.

"I am not playing off instinct any more. Last year I was," Tahu said.

"I'll admit going out on the field, I didn't know what I was doing really.

"Now I have got my knowledge down, and it feels the same as when I was playing league: everything is starting to slow down now.

"I know where the ball is going to go, what player will get it, so the decision I make I am going to be 100 per cent committed to it.

"Before, I was on my heels waiting, and often times it would be the wrong decision. I feel comfortable now."

Tahu played a key role in NSW's victory over the Hurricanes in round one of 2008's Super 14, but hamstring injuries soured the rest of his season and his Test breakthrough as well.

A full summer of rehab and strength work behind him, Tahu says he is in the best physical and mental shape of his life.

"My attitude is more positive, everything I am doing when I come to training, I am feeling great," Tahu said. "Fitness-wise, and I'd have to say skill-wise as well, I am a bet- ter player now (than in league)." Tahu's combination with Beale could be "mouth-watering", according to Lote Tuqiri.

"It's sensational. They run on instinct a fair bit, and that's what you love about playing outside those guys," Tuqiri said.

Beale, who held off Daniel Halangahu for the No. 10 spot, said of Tahu: "It's getting a lot faster now. Our ability to back up each other, offload and play with positive risk, hopefully it will pay off."

Carter was named on the bench in a 22-man squad containing 17 of last year's runners-up. Wycliff Palu will come off the bench. Ben Mowen takes over at No. 6 and Scott Fava at No. 8.

Rookie lock Chris Thomson takes a spot on the bench, while injured hooker Adam Freier is bracketed with tyro Damien Fitzpatrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.