• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The Lock pairing, my biggest concern, were terrific for the Tahs. Mumm and Caldwell were the MOTM easily. Dynamic, aggressive, physical, no seagulling, just grafting. My concern now is they'll burn out from shouldering so much of the load.

Defence was organised and effective and pleasingly there's plenty of room for improvement. Spoiling was good - Mumm is entering the rarified air of Owen Finegan & David Wilson in his ability to spoil. Gutsy win given how much territory we conceded.

Our loosies aren't good enough. Fava is finished, that's plain to see Waugh is finished, that's just hard to admit. Mowen is athletic but isn't actually much use. He doesn't have the rugby nous to read the play, and his lithe physique and high centre of gravity help little in contact.

Burgess is burdened by having to act as an extra flanker. We need to see more of his flair and vision.

I can see that Hickey is trying to get the Tahs to use the football much more. Tahu and TPN need to learn to take better care of the ball though. And I don't know what the point of having Waugh as first receiver is.

I don't get Benn Robinson. He spends so much time watching the play they should charge him for gold class tickets. Makes David Fitter look like Richie McCaw. If you need someone to stand alongside a ruck, hands on hips, he's your man. And then all of a sudden he'll make 3 tackles in a row.

Strangest thing would be that the Hurricanes main attacking weapon Nonu wasn't running at the Beale-Tahu channel all night.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
naza said:
I don't get Benn Robinson. He spends so much time watching the play they should charge him for gold class tickets. Makes David Fitter look like Richie McCaw. If you need someone to stand alongside a ruck, hands on hips, he's your man. And then all of a sudden he'll make 3 tackles in a row.

No-one makes Dave Fitter look like Richie McCaw - even me! He is probably still working into match fitness, but also a little complacent at the moment - hard to put in a bigger effort when you're already the best loosehead prop in the country for the last 20 years.

Fuck me Beale needs a slap around the ears. Far too casual in defence and with the "clearance" that led to Kirkpatrick's try. Looked like he can't kick off his left.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
NTA said:
Fuck me Beale needs a slap around the ears. Far too casual in defence and with the "clearance" that led to Kirkpatrick's try. Looked like he can't kick off his left.

I don't know about 'far' too casual. He probably took one step too many, but he took the right option, maybe tried to chew off too much distance. He certainly can't be blamed for the try.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There were other factors, but at least if he'd put it out 10m from the line its still back to set piece and a chance to reorganise. He needs to sharpen up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Finishing up my viewing of this game and let me say the Canes fans have nothing to be disappointed about - Dickinson made a few mistakes but was generally good.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
NTA said:
There were other factors, but at least if he'd put it out 10m from the line its still back to set piece and a chance to reorganise. He needs to sharpen up.

HIndsight is 20/20 eh? Obviously that's what he should have done, but it was not to be. I would be heaping more shit on Fava and Burgess than Beale in that scenario though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
True - Fava was awful. Palu should have been carded 3 minutes from time for offside so neither #8 had a great game IMHO.

Dickinson's warning to Waugh about yellow cards, 10 seconds from time was hilarious tho...

Would have been a crime had the Canes taken it at the last.

Could have picked either SNK or Horne as MOTM. SNK made mistakes, but was far more involved by default.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
NTA said:
Could have picked either SNK or Horne as MOTM. SNK made mistakes, but was far more involved by default.

Really? I would expect those warped opinions from Scarfy but you? Horne was a clear standout, and while SNK was good, he never looked like breaking the line. Horne, on the other hand, set the world alight every time he touched the ball.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't always expect my MOTM to break the line. Horne did good things every time he got the ball of course, but the responsibility SNK took on at key points in the game, and his execution was almost always right. He was also the only decent clearance kicker we had which was crucial when we were defending so heavily.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I did like that SNK had a lot of time with most things he did. Executed a few kicks poorly, but very solid though. But nowhere as important as Horne in the winning of the game - scored 1, set 1 up. Can't ask for more.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
barbarian said:
NTA said:

Really? I would expect those warped opinions from Scarfy but you? Horne was a clear standout, and while SNK was good, he never looked like breaking the line. Horne, on the other hand, set the world alight every time he touched the ball.

How the hell does anybody watch that game and not give MOTM to Mumm or Caldwell ? :eek:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
cyclopath said:
But nowhere as important as Horne in the winning of the game - scored 1, set 1 up. Can't ask for more.

In that case, give the MOTM to Beale - he created the opportunity for both tries. Are you lot all formers backs? Well except Naz who has a point - both second rowers did well too.

Still naz - the Canes try from the kickoff was a direct fuckup by our forwards collectively. Missed the ball in the air then no-one collecting scraps. Black mark.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
Still naz - the Canes try from the kickoff was a direct fuckup by our forwards collectively. Missed the ball in the air then no-one collecting scraps. Black mark.

Where was Turner ? I reckon Burgess would have cleaned up - our wingers need to stop relying on him and give SNK better support.

Yeah, it was very ordinary, I'd shrug it off as a week 1 sort of mistake. Did you notice Waugh couldn't tackle the big plodding lock Thrush, who offloaded for the try ? I can't believe more hasn't been made of Waugh's alarming slide.

I had a lot of time for Ben Jacobs. He wasn't much of an athlete but made the most of his abilities and turned our backline defense around. But he wouldn't have come close to scoring that Horne try.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
cyclopath said:
But nowhere as important as Horne in the winning of the game - scored 1, set 1 up. Can't ask for more.

In that case, give the MOTM to Beale - he created the opportunity for both tries. Are you lot all formers backs? Well except Naz who has a point - both second rowers did well too.

Yes Nick, I am a former back. Your point being?
Actually the SNK try was made because Horne ran the correct line and beat his man on the inside. Had he not done that, the pass from Beale would have been just another cut out to a crash ball runner. The tired old mantra of the superior knowledge of all you forwards about all things is just that - tired.
And naza, to blame the backs for that try is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure receiving the kick-off is practised a little bit by the pigs, or should be. They made a hash of that one.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
And naza, to blame the backs for that try is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure receiving the kick-off is practised a little bit by the pigs, or should be. They made a hash of that one.

I didn't blame the backs. I agree its a mistake by the forwards. I'm just wondering why Turner wasn't even in picture to cover for such a mistake.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
NTA said:
cyclopath said:

Actually the SNK try was made because Horne ran the correct line and beat his man on the inside. Had he not done that, the pass from Beale would have been just another cut out to a crash ball runner. The tired old mantra of the superior knowledge of all you forwards about all things is just that - tired.

Beales pass to Horne was pretty average really, if Burgess had done it he would have been crucified.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
cyclopath said:
NTA said:
cyclopath said:

Beales pass to Horne was pretty average really, if Burgess had done it he would have been crucified.

I don't get the Burgess bashing. Or the Gregan bashing. Aussie rugby fans hate our halfbacks as much as our tightheads.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
fatprop said:
cyclopath said:
NTA said:
cyclopath said:

I don't get the Burgess bashing. Or the Gregan bashing. Aussie rugby fans hate our halfbacks as much as our tightheads.
I don't think it's bashing - Burgess has many good points, but still some weaknesses which are fair game to point out. Passing under pressure is one. If he tightens them up, he'll be even better. Gregan was great, but his last few years were not his best, and his ponderous work at the breakdown did not help at times with our struggling forward play at that facet of play. Unfortunately there was no-one else really there to challenge him to either be replaced, or get better. Sometimes we all get a bit sensitive in our defence of players we like, and overly virulent in disdain for those we don't.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Regarding the respective merits of Horne and SNK: Horne was the clear MOTM literally, because his actions were clearer to catch the eye, but Scarfman's love-child also had a top match.

One thing SNK never gets credit for is backing up the ball runner. He is a Terry Lamb type supporter of the guy with the pill and like Lamb you forget about all the occasions that he didn't get the ball. Russell Fairfax was like this as well, in both codes, Latham also, and we all remember the Paekakariki express, Christian Cullen.

In rugby, the fullback is always the player best suited to capitalise on a break by others and it's one reason why I don't want to see SNK wear any jersey unless it has 15 on it.

Agree with the criticism of some of Burgess' play and also that he did well in mitigation. But watching the Australian scrummies' pass and comparing it with the sublimity of the pass of Mike Phillips, the Wales no.9, against England on the weekend, is like comparing chalk and cheese. Quick delivery can soften criticism of a pass that isn't on the money, but if too many are dished out then more work has to be done.

Agree with naza that Mumm and Caldwell had top games. They are continuing top trial form. People may criticise Mumm for his cynical play against the Canes, and truthfully, the Tahs were lucky to get away with it, but I got a perverse pleasure.

I am sick and tired of the Tahs and Wallabies being, not perfect, but too bloody nice. For years we have seen the likes of So'oialo doing his repertoire of sly tricks that range from crabbing around rucks and mauls to taking people out too far away from the breakdown, as we saw the other night - and yet, by comparison, we don't push the envelope. Masoe was the same, but was not as good a player.

At last we have a bad boy who is pushing it out there. He is playing to the utmost of his physicality and no coach could ask for more. Caldwell is not far behind him. If Mumm was a few kilos heavier and a tad taller he could be a great Wallaby player I reckon.

At the end of the Tahs dreadful 2007 season I read that the Waratahs had the best discipline in the S14 measured by the number of penalties against - or it was one of the best. I nearly vomited when I read this. I didn't want to support a team that was super disciplined and finished near last. I wanted to support a team that pushed opponents and the refs to the limit and finished near first.

Oz rugby needs more aggression on the shady side of the game - up to a point.

F

formeropenside

NTA said:
naza said:

No-one makes Dave Fitter look like Richie McCaw - even me! He is probably still working into match fitness, but also a little complacent at the moment - hard to put in a bigger effort when you're already the best loosehead prop in the country for the last 20 years.

Tah man-love much?

Status
Not open for further replies.