• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PhucNgo

I watched the three games involving Oz teams on this side of the Indian ocean and to my way of thinking this was the pick of the bunch, with that 20 minutes from the Brumbies being the highlight of the weekend. Tah's forwards played well at the set piece but as has already been said we needed someone quicker than Waugh at the breakdown. Having said that however, while Dickinson was the first ref in a long time to actively police the offside rule at the ruck/maul, he fell into line and allowed the NZ team to continually go off there feet at the breakdown. This was a common theme with all NZ teams and explained why both Highlanders and Canes had high retention/possession stats. This has to be closely looked at because its making a joke of any semblance of contest for possession. In this case the Tah's were fortunate that the Canes were totally clueless in attack.

Horne, as everyone has said, was brilliant, but this came as no surprise to those who saw him in the Brumbies trial. He'll find it difficult to repeat this performance tho because he'll be the most highly scrutinised guy in the S14 this week.

As I've posted before, I'm not a true Bealeever, but he did take the ball to the line in attack and had defenders stopping and worrying about where he was going to go. This, rather than his loopy pass to Horne was the catalyst for SNK's try. I won't comment on his deffence, because, as everyone knows there's nothing to comment on. His kicking from hand was poor, I think because he's dropping the ball from too great a height causing the ball to either go off the side of his foot or straight up in the air. He has a similar stabbing motion to Mark Gerrard and would be well advised to watch how he releases the ball. I will say tho, his place kicking has improved. The conversion of Tuqiri's try was right out of the Joey Johns training manual. Straight, low and with strong follow-thru. The Peter Hewatt influence looks all but gone :thumb.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Agreed PN. With that kick, the leg came through like a golf swing. If I were KB (Kurtley Beale), I would just do everything Burkey told me.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
he fell into line and allowed the NZ team to continually go off there feet at the breakdown. This was a common theme with all NZ teams and explained why both Highlanders and Canes had high retention/possession stats.

Spot on, I mentioned this in the Force v Blues thread how Pocock was penalised for staying on his feet & yet the Kiwi teams were flopping onto the wrong side of the ruck like it was legal.

Even the Kiwi commentators seem to forget that if your not on your feet your out of the game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Agreed PN. With that kick, the leg came through like a golf swing. If I were KB (Kurtley Beale), I would just do everything Burkey told me.

Maybe Burkie can tell him to tackle. :)

But seriously folks, I liked the basic straightness of Beale's goal kicks on Saturday. Last year there was always the doubt of whether it would be a slight draw or a full hook - or now and then a straight one that needed a curl to take the pill into the posts but didn't.

If this very small sample of the ball travelling on a straight path is not flattering to deceive, and will prevail for the rest of the season, his kicking percentage should improve.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NTA said:
naza said:
I don't get Benn Robinson. He spends so much time watching the play they should charge him for gold class tickets. Makes David Fitter look like Richie McCaw. If you need someone to stand alongside a ruck, hands on hips, he's your man. And then all of a sudden he'll make 3 tackles in a row.

No-one makes Dave Fitter look like Richie McCaw - even me! He is probably still working into match fitness, but also a little complacent at the moment - hard to put in a bigger effort when you're already the best loosehead prop in the country for the last 20 years.

From the RUPA site, an interview with David Fitter.

So, where are you now and what have you been doing since finishing rugby in Australia?

When I finished up with the Force, I had a stint in England playing for London Irish. Contemplating life after rugby and weighing up opportunities to either continue playing in Europe, or other business pursuits, led me to the unconventional path of pursuing a medical career. After many rigorous interviews and academic hurdles I was awarded a place at the University of Melbourne in their new Biomedicine (pre med) program. My long term goal is to return to rugby as a sports doctor.

Partner? Kids?

No Kids that I know of yet. I will return to South Africa one day to find a wife that appreciates the bigger man.

What is the single greatest highlight of your career?

Without a doubt it was being lucky enough to be afforded the privilege of wearing the Wallaby jersey. It was an emotional experience for me, and was the culmination of a lot of hard work from not only myself; but fellow players, coaches, trainers/medico?s and ancillary staff to whom I owe a great debt.

Who is the toughest prop you?ve scrummed against and why?

The in form and angry Otago Highlanders front row of Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, and Carl Hoeft, was like running head first into a slab of concrete.

Also, as many would be aware scrum training sessions can get just as heated. There was many a scrum session where Bill Young left me with damaged rib cartilage, bleeding from every orifice, and a very real self questioning of why I was doing this for a living.

Who are the funniest guys you?ve played with and why?

I remember that Owen Finegan had the strictest and cleanest diet in the squad and sought much advice from the dietician. Pity about his drinking habits; I saw him take a bet to scull two pints of Guinness in less than ten seconds. He did this but there was a slight dribble, so he sculled another two pints but failed the bet because this time it took 11 seconds. He basically downed two litres in one minute (and I still have the mobile phone footage Owen).

I remember seeing Jone Tawake with a Mc Donald?s thick shake in each hand, because he was advised by the dietician that he was allowed to drink milkshakes and smoothies to reduce skin folds.

Radike Samo would train in the gym with weights that a nine year old could lift. But come the day of testing, he would always rip out a power clean far above anything anyone could do in Australian rugby.

Brendan Cannon also had a strange fixation with the benefits of ?colonic irrigation?. Despite my concern I took respite in the fact that he has a wife and kids.

How are you enjoying Melbourne? Do you have a keen interest in the Aerial Ping-Pong (AFL)?

Since rugby is a swear word in Melbourne I have taken a firm stance against AFL. I do a bit of training/coaching with the Melbourne University rugby club, which is also being coached by Matt Cockbain.

Who was your worst roommate and why?

I have suffered permanent hearing impairment from Kieran Longbottom?s snoring, whereby I was forced to evict him going forward.

Phil Waugh resembles a pit bull after an unlicensed dog fight post game. Due to this state he has little respect for the location of the toilet bowl, little respect for what he uses as a handkerchief, and probably spills just as much blood and mucus around the hotel room as he does on the field.

Most respected teammate and why?

The professionalism and continual reinvention of how the game is played by Joe Roff, Matt Giteau, as well as David Giffin?s contribution to lineout play, and Bill Young?s commitment to total scrum technique development; has impacted positively on everyone in Australian rugby.

I also have much respect for emerging talents who have not had the red carpet treatment and have battled their way to success such as; Luke Burges and Dean Mumm.

You have done a lot of touring, any funny memories stand out?

At a recovery session for Australia A in Japan, Justin Harrison thought he would be a smart arse and defy the very strict Japanese swimming pool etiquette of absolutely no splashing, by doing a bomb in the pool. It was a shame that the water was only two feet deep where he did it, and he spent the next week every day on the physio table getting treatment on his back.

There are others that I will keep to myself for fear of incrimination and litigation.

Do you have any advice for any Aussie rugby players thinking about a contract overseas?

It is a fantastic and rewarding experience but you have to have an open mind with it. Many clubs lack the professionalism you are used to in Australian rugby, so do not let it affect your game. Also, do not underestimate the impact the climate can have on your body i.e. you are much more susceptible to soft tissue injuries in the long term colder climates. Adjustment of your individual pre training and pre game warm up is essential, as well as individual recovery procedures.

From a contractual point of view, do not make assumptions about things that are not in writing. i.e. baggage allowances and costs with international travel, setting up bank accounts (can be difficult for foreigners in the UK, and some accounts have heavy establishment costs). Have contractual provision for personal injury/income protection insurance and accommodation (make sure it has already been sourced and is fully furnished). You will also need a car, and any provision?s for your partner and children (job, flights, education, and medical) written into the contract. Be specific with these requirements and don?t budge because it is not just about the zeros on your salary.

Did you manage to see much of the UK or do much travel when you were over there?

For me that was one of the most enjoyable perks. I visited France three times off my own bat, and did heaps of sightseeing around London. Not to mention all of the travel I did with the team.

How's the transition been from player to general life?

Behaviours, attitudes, and attributes are established in all professional rugby players due to the winning and hard working culture of Australian rugby. These attributes are rewarded in the ?real world?, and so although there is an adjustment period, former professional rugby players tend to enjoy the same level of success in a career post rugby.

Do you have any advice for any rugby players transitioning into retirement?

Do not be afraid to tempt yourself with unconventional paths after retirement. In my experience the rugby network has been bigger than I expected, so basically it does not matter which direction you wish to take. There will always be a helping hand through rugby if you are genuine and are willing to work.

Do you still lace on the boots at all?

I am cursed with the tendency for adipose (fat) tissue; therefore, I have to be a lifelong trainer. I have the occasional club game in Melbourne time permitting, and am open to all junket type rugby tours. Last year I went to the Bangkok tens where the term ?lady boy? is not considered an oxymoron and Warwick Waugh showed me the beauty that is junket rugby.

Do you still keep in touch with many of the mates you made over your Rugby career?

The fantastic thing about rugby is the true lifelong friendships that are formed. I still regularly keep in touch with Benny Darwin, Angus Scott, Dan Vickerman and Tamaiti Horua. I have found that weddings tend to be unofficial rugby reunions. When I get to Sydney I always check in on the club footy scene and am always running into friendly faces that I have played with or against.

With your rugby career now complete, what are your fondest memories looking back at it? Career Highlight?

Definitely the camaraderie shared between players and the life long bonds that are established. Rugby is a microcosm of life that teaches many lessons for which I am grateful. Apart from becoming a Wallaby, highlights for me include winning a grand final with Sydney Uni. and being a foundation playing member of the Western Force.

So, what does the future hold for Dave Fitter?

This time next year I will be sitting the gruelling six hour Gamsat exam in order to be accepted into a graduate clinical med program. I am looking to learn as much as I can about the practice of sports medicine in the rugby context; the stuff that you don?t learn in lectures, and looking at some ideas for clinical research particular to sports med in rugby.

Thanks Fitts; hopefully we'll see you as the Wallaby team doctor one day.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - thanks for posting that Nod.

Pot Plant is more cluey and interesting than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.