• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs vs Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Selectors have stuck with the side which defeated Queensland 30-28 in the season opener on Saturday night, however two players from that team were forced out of the squad to head to the Republic.

Deep bone bruising sustained during his debut match will see lock Cam Jowitt miss the tour through injury, however he is expected to be fit to return when the squad completes its tour.

Flanker Dean Mumm was also forced out of the squad after being suspended for two matches at a SANZAR Judicial hearing on Sunday after being found guilty of charging.

2009 Wallaby tourists Dave Dennis and Rob Horne have been selected along with young prop Dan Palmer.

Former Emerging Springbok Hendrik Roodt returns to his homeland with hopes of making his Super 14 debut, while two other rookies have bolted into the squad.

2009 Tooheys New Shute Shield Rookie of the Year Locky McCaffrey has been named as cover in the back row following Mumm's suspension, while speedster Peter Betham earns his spot after impressing in the trials.

The Tahs have fond memories of the Republic having finished 2009 by becoming the first Australian or New Zealand team to win three matches back-to-back in South Africa, and they enter the tour having won their last five matches away from home.

The squad flies to Johannesburg on Monday morning before transferring to Cape Town.

HSBC Waratahs South African Touring Squad
Backs (12): Sosene Anesi (TBA), Berrick Barnes (TBA), Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs), Peter Betham (Sydney University), Luke Burgess (Sydney University), Tom Carter (Sydney University), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Josh Holmes (Warringah), Rob Horne (Southern Districts), Drew Mitchell (Balmain), Rory Sidey (West Harbour), Lachie Turner (Eastwood).
Forwards (14): Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs), Will Caldwell (Sydney University), David Dennis (Sydney University), Kane Douglas (Southern Districts), Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood), Sekope Kepu (Randwick), Locky McCaffrey (Eastwood), Ben Mowen (Randwick), Dan Palmer (Southern Districts), Wycliff Palu (Manly), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta), Benn Robinson (Eastwood), Hendrik Roodt (Gordon), Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University).

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Mumm got 2 matches for THAT ? What the fuck has this world come to ? That is truly fucking pathetic.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
naza said:
Mumm got 2 matches for THAT ? What the fuck has this world come to ? That is truly fucking pathetic.
2 matches AND a yellow card. Justice 4 Mumm. Come to think of it, his infringement was not totally unlike the Bakkies incident that made the Saffas cry..

What's with "Drew Mitchell (Balmain)" ?

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
naza said:

You'd get less than that for doing the same thing in a soccer match.

Says it all really.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Moses said:
What's with "Drew Mitchell (Balmain)" ?

It was a PR thing I think. He won't play for them, he will be "loaned" to Randwick when needed.

It attracts good attention to the club. Maybe they have Premier grade aspirations?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Moses beat me to it but here is what I was going to post anyway:

From the Reds game Cam Jowitt has bone brusing and Mumm is suspended,

Added to the 20 left of the matchday team are:

• Rob Horne - must have got through his game on Saturday with no probs.
• Pete Betham – not even in the Tahs academy must have gone as well as he did in the trial against the Brumbies.
• Du Roodt is going home – to play for the Tahs.
• Lachie McCaffrey – doesn't have a S14 contract but must have had a top game against the Runners.
• Dan Palmer will be the 4th prop
• Dave Dennis adds cover in the backrow

Using the team against the Reds as a base the 26 are:

15. Sosene Anesi
14. Lachie Turner + Peter Betham
13. Tom Carter + Robbie Horne
12. Kurtley Beale
11. Drew Mitchell
10. Berrick Barnes
9. Luke Burgess
8. Wycliff Palu + Locky McCaffrey
7. Phil Waugh [c]
6. Dean Mumm suspended + Dave Dennis
5. Cam Jowitt injured + Dud Roodt
4. Will Caldwell
3. Al Baxter + Dan Palmer
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
1. Benn Robinson

16. Damien Fitzpatrick
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Kane Douglas
19. Ben Mowen
20. Josh Holmes
21. Daniel Halangahu
22. Rory Sidey

I suspect that Mowen will take Mumm's spot at 6 and that Roodt and Douglas will share Jowitts spot.

S14 contracted players who were healthy enough to play against the Runners but weren't picked to tour are:
Jeremy Tilse, Chris Thomson, Chris Alcock, Nemani Nadolo, Ben Coridas. Freier is obviously injured.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Interesting that Roodt the nod ahead of Thomson, from accounts of the trial I got the impression that Thomson was playing pretty well and Roodt was fairly anonymous (though still obviously very young and raw)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moses said:
What's with "Drew Mitchell (Balmain)"?

Simple: paid his subs and joined Balmain Rugby Club. Obviously likes the beer at Dick's Hotel. Don't we all?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
nadalo should be going with them, Looked good in the trials. If only he was a bit more versatile.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Moses said:
What's with "Drew Mitchell (Balmain)"?

Simple: paid his subs and joined Balmain Rugby Club. Obviously likes the beer at Dick's Hotel. Don't we all?

Have a feeling he may have worn their socks when he played for the Baabaas recently.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer said:

Hah, played a Halligan game against Balmain and we were all hanging out to see Drew. Funnily enough, he didn't show.

Besides, the Welcome is much better than Dick's.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Seb V said:
nadalo should be going with them,

Instead of who?

Betham? Yeah he's not in the Tahs professional roster but he showed a couple of things at Viking Park in the trial against the Brumbies that took the breath away. He must have shown the same attributes against the Runners on Saturday.

I applaud the Tahs for giving him a go despite his past injury record, and thereby damaging the budget and putting him on the payroll. He's the type of player who the Tahs need because he won't hestitate to run with the ball.

He may not get a run but at least he will get the message that he is next cab off the rank.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A real shame about Mumm.

Mowen should be starting at 6 anyway (even when Mumm is back).

The locks have two matches to stake a claim on the spot next to Mumm in the second row when he returns. Jowitt looks average at best - I'd like to see what the others have to offer. If we could find a replacement for Caldwell I'd be very pleased.

Horne is a very important player at outside centre. Who else can play there? Who else usually plays there?

Overall, I'd say the team will be improved slightly with the changes, and will be even better when Mumm returns.

The next problem is dealing with the Stormers - Fourie and Habana are great recruits for them, worryingly good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah - Caldwell, Mumm and Mowen would be the normal 4/5/6 but as you say it will be good to see what the others can do. Jowitt looked good in the trial against the Brumbies but he didn't look as much of a goer against the Reds. 20 y.o. Douglas may get a bit more time on the park before Mumm comes back. He looked OK on Saturday night but he made a meal of one restart.

Horne - as I said earlier in some post Horne is the only real 13 in the squad; Sidey has played there a lot, in fact more often than not, but he's not a real 13 in my book; more of a 12 than can play 13.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The balance of the Waratahs squad is not quite right.

Only one recognised 13, only one (albeit Waugh) number 7.

What happened with Tahu? Is he injured? Kicked?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
The next problem is dealing with the Stormers - Fourie and Habana are great recruits for them, worryingly good.

i think the key is trying to pressure the scrummy and flyhalf before they can get the ball down the line. those are two weak spots in the stormers lineup. if they get it on the outside some chasing will be in order.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I wasn't pining for his return, just curious. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any replacement.

I hope he is the last of the league converts - ever.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Langthorne said:
I wasn't pining for his return, just curious. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any replacement.

I hope he is the last of the league converts - ever.

brace yourself for when melbourne puts their team together. definite possibility.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blaauw, the Stormers LH might miss the game. He has been a huge find for them and without him the Tahs could apply a lot of pressure on the scrum.

Regardless one never knows what to expect from the Stormers, even at home.

Should be a cracker. Tough to make a prediction though. Stomers have a bloody good side but they are weak mentally .

Status
Not open for further replies.