• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs vs Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Jantjes also not far from being back but I dont think he'll get a start very quick. Joe Pietersen have lift the ante since he replaced him and now pretty much one of the Stormers star players.

Great news about Jantjes.

I tell you what I don't get. At 72 min and again 75 min your lot had a penalty against the Lions. What did they do? Go for posts? Why? I nearly had a fit.

Go for the bonus point ffs. That just shows a lack of self belief. kick it for the corner. Drive it up. Why in hells name go for posts if you already have the win in the bag.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Historically we struggle in round 1 and maybe they just wanted the win first and foremost and look like they were a bit tired from all that defending at high altitude. Anyway it dont look like they will change the match 22

Coetzee views
Sport24
Super 14

'Solution is to attack more'
2010-02-16 10:09Email | Print

Johannesburg - Vodacom Stormers coach Allister Coetzee says he would like to see the same enthusiasm and passion from his men on attack as they show when on defence.
Coetzee and skipper Schalk Burger admitted after Saturday’s 26-13 win over the Lions in Johannesburg that the second half fall away, where they failed to add any points to their half-time tally, was down to tiredness. But Coetzee acknowledged that it was because his team spent so much time tackling that they were short of breath in the last quarter when they couldn’t finish off attacking opportunities.

“One of the things we pride ourselves on is our defence, our defensive effort in the second half against the Lions was fantastic,” said Coetzee.

“The Lions were virtually on our line and at one stage we knocked them back five or six metres. We just got stronger on defence and we did well to prevent them from scoring. This weekend against the Waratahs, who have very good ball carrier in Wycliff Palu, Polota-Nau and even Benn Robinson, we are going to have to ensure we are again up to the challenge physically.

“But I would like to see us keep the ball in hand more than we are and use that ball. If we keep the ball longer we have to defend less, and it is defending that makes you tired. I want to see the same excitement when we’re on attack. It looks like now, when we don’t have the ball, we are in control, but I want us to be able to control a game with ball in hand too.”

To do that, Coetzee reckons the key will be for the Stormers to look after their ball much better than they did at Coca Cola Park.

“When I watched the game again on video, it was obvious that it came down to us not protecting our own possession enough,” he said.

“There are numerous clips I want to show players of how easily we turned the ball over and then we had to defend for five or more phases again. We ended up defending the whole of the second half.”

Coetzee was still awaiting the scan on the injured shoulder of loosehead Wicus Blaauw, but he expressed a desire to keep the squad unchanged for the Waratahs match.

“Overall we did not play poorly at Coca Cola Park, and the second half did not completely destroy our confidence. We played exceptionally well in the first half and we were very accurate, “ said Coetzee.

“It’s just that we need to take the same focus into the second half that we have in the first and retain our intensity for a full 80 minutes rather than just for part of a game. I would like to keep the same 22 that did duty in Johannesburg.”
Think he is on the right track regarding attack. Hope they'll kick less and run more from the back. We have the atillery now and hope they'll use it. Ellispark is one place , Newlands something totally different with 40,000 + yelling for action.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Blue said:
Blaauw, the Stormers LH might miss the game. He has been a huge find for them and without him the Tahs could apply a lot of pressure on the scrum.

Regardless one never knows what to expect from the Stormers, even at home.

Should be a cracker. Tough to make a prediction though. Stomers have a bloody good side but they are weak mentally .

It is just the high profile rubbish that draw the attention. Barnes was a league recruit, Sciftcofskie served the Reds well in his time with them. If their motives are right, welcome to our great game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Blaauw, the impressive young Stormer LH prop is out. Big blow for the mountain goats. WP scrum was dominant in CC last year with this guy. Tahs should now def dominate the scrum.

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/02/16/cape-scrum-loses-key-prop/#more-51544
Is a big blow. Stormers decided last year they wont play players where they have doubt. Well JD Moller aint a newbie by any means and should step up. Proudfoot the forwards coach have made the world of differense since taking over from GG. They would work hard for the scrum onslaught.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hendrik Roodt named on bench for Waratahs, may debut against Stormers

February 18, 2010

South African-born lock Hendrik Roodt could make his Super 14 debut on Saturday after being named on the bench for New South Wales Waratahs' clash with the Stormers at Newlands.

A former Emerging Springbok, 22-year-old Roodt is one of two personnel and four team changes forced on coach Chris Hickey following last weekend's two-point victory over Queensland Reds in Brisbane.

A two-week suspension to Dean Mumm has seen Ben Mowen return to the starting side, while Kane Douglas is primed to make his run-on debut in the second row in place of the injured Cam Jowitt.

Wallabies tourist Dave Dennis takes Mowen's place on the reserves bench, while Douglas' elevation has Roodt poised to make his New South Wales debut.

"Injuries and suspensions always test your depth and losing two big men in Cam and Dean has certainly done that," Hickey said.

"However the second row and back row were both areas we concentrated on improving our depth in during the off-season and ... I think we can see the result of strengthening that part of the squad."

Captain Phil Waugh will play his 116th match, moving past Matt Burke into second on the all-time list behind Chris Whitaker.

Benn Robinson.
Tatafu Polota-Nau,
Al Baxter,
Will Caldwell,
Kane Douglas,
Ben Mowen,
Phil Waugh (capt),
Wycliff Palu,
Luke Burgess,
Berrick Barnes,
Drew Mitchell,
Kurtley Beale,
Tom Carter,
Lachie Turner,
Sosene Anesi,

Res:
Damien Fitzpatrick,
Sekope Kepu,
Hendrik Roodt,
Dave Dennis,
Josh Holmes,
Daniel Halangahu,
Rory Sidey.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Doh! No Horne :'(

Of course a better performance from the Tahs will be like having 15 players returning from injury.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I quite like the direct hard running Carter, however I'm not a fan of the slow surrender tackle Carter we saw last week. Lets hope he can contain the Fourie/Habana axis.....

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
fatprop said:
Another week of Carter's insipid play will have Horne back

Would rather have Carter there than Beale, with Horne outside him. Beale still has not produced at this level

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Chosen said:
fatprop said:

Would rather have Carter there than Beale, with Horne outside him. Beale still has not produced at this level

:nta: Have you watched much S14 rugby. Have a look at the Tahs in the 2008 season and the winning streak from last season with Beale at 12.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Watch lock Kane Douglas. He may not set the world of fire in this particular game as he is just 20 years old and in the Tahs Academy, not their S14 contracted players group. As soon as Mumm and Jowitt are back, he won't be starting and if Dud Roodt's ability is as good as Heneyke Meyer says, he'll probably find himself behind the big fella once he gets up to speed.

But by starting him, and not Roodt or Thomson (who was left behind in Sydney) Hickey has given us an indication of his quality. Let's all hope that he can live up to Hickey's opinion of him in the two games coming up, before he gets superseded when he comes home.

I thought that Hickey might have gone for a 5-2 split in the reserves on the RSA tour as Holmes plays a decent game at 12 in club rugby for the Rats

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The Chosen said:
fatprop said:

Like, not in a Super 14 final? Oh wait...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
I quite like the direct hard running Carter, however I'm not a fan of the slow surrender tackle Carter we saw last week. Lets hope he can contain the Fourie/Habana axis.....
Beale vs de Jongh should also be a cracker.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Schalkie about this weekends battle with Waugh
Sport24
Schalk Burger is not having any sleepless nights over Saturday’s showdown with Phil Waugh and New Zealand referee Keith Brown because he has “never for a single day” been guilty of illegal play.

That was the tongue-in-cheek reaction from the Stormers captain when he was asked about a recent comment by Waugh that South Africans will struggle with the stricter application of the breakdown laws.

“I have never been illegal for a single day in my life and don’t know what he is talking about,” Burger said with a naughty grin.

However, discipline will be crucial for Burger and Waugh, with the stricter applications of the laws at the breakdown making life difficult for fetching flanks.

“The new law makes it difficult for everyone to be effective on the ground. We’re still trying to play to the ball and be a nuisance for one another, but it’s more difficult.

“Phil is a good player. We’ve played against one another many times before and I’ll probably invite him for a beer this week to make sure he does not play that well on Saturday!”

On a more serious note, Burger is unconcerned about Waugh’s verbal barbs at South Africans.

“There are few things you can get away with on the ground. You have to get on your feet and leave the ball-carrier. It’s pretty clear to everyone how the referee will apply the law,” said Burger.

While it is still leading to a lot of penalties, many experts believe that stricter application of the laws will ultimately promote attacking rugby.

It will be easier to build phases and pressure as the defending team will run a bigger risk if they infringe at the breakdowns.

Burger expects the Stormers to be thoroughly tested by the Waratahs. The Cape side beat the Lions this past weekend, but were not really impressive.

“The Waratahs probably have a little more structure than the Lions so you know what to expect,” said Burger.

“They make very few errors, are a championship side and it will be tough. We’ll have to kick well tactically to get territory and hold on to the ball when we get there.”

Burger does not believe Dean Mumm’s suspension will necessarily result in a weakening of the Waratahs’ lineout.

“Their lineout will still be strong and they are generally strong in the set phases.”

Saturday’s match is the first of five consecutive Newlands matches for the Stormers.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers – 15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Ricky Januarie, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Francois Louw, 6 Schalk Burger (c), 5 Andries Bekker, 4 De Kock Steenkamp, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 JC Kritzinger.
Subs: 16 Deon Fourie, 17 Eusebio Guinazu, 18 Anton van Zyl, 19 Pieter Louw, 20 Dewaldt Duvenage, 21 Lionel Cronje, 22 Sireli Naqelevuki.

So Pie Eater starts and no JD but rather the Argie fatty who ply his trade for Boland.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
if Dud Roodt's ability is as good as Heneyke Meyer says,

I reckon that was a wind up from Meyer.

By the way, apparently Roodt has started calling himself "awesome" in response to the "dud" nickname

Status
Not open for further replies.