• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Team Rehab!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
qm.gif
one does not simply.jpg
qm.gif

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So how many injuries are actually relevant, ie. not one offs from tackles

James O'Connor (hamstring)
Rob Horne (hamstring)
Sitaleki Timani (hamstring)
Stephen Moore (hamstring)
Sekope Kepu (calf)

there's not that many that can be put down to poor conditioning/workload

T

TOCC

Rob Horne (hamstring)
Sekope Kepu (calf)

You're not suggesting that conditioning doesn't play a part in a players ability to absorb impact are you?

Conditioning can be equally as relevant for those players injured in a collision then as it is for those who purely twinge a muscle warming up.

T

TOCC

Genia and Pocock's injuries were unavoidable?

whether that be a question or a statement of fact, i'm sure nether of us are experts in the area...

Hypothetically, Genia could have been fatigued/slightly injured in another part of his body(ie ankle) which has lead him to overcompensate in balance, placing repetitive undue strain on a different part of his knee which could have very well factored into the injury.

Neither of us are experts in the area, but to suggest a player injured in a collision has no relevance to conditioning/workload is misleading.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Gaggerland Head of Selectors Qwerty first announced Team Rehab on 9 September.

Assistant Selector Bullrush announced some positional changes:

Last Friday, a soon to be ex Chief Rugby Correspondent had a lash at selecting the team which was not too dissimilar to the Gaggerland Team Rehab.

Once again Gaggerland scoops the snouts with ideas and concepts for them to pinch as if they were their own ideas.

Yes, Nuci seems to be closing the gate after Team Rehab horses have bolted from the canyon. Proactive ---- If this is proactive, then my Aunt Fanny is Uncle Henry.

Hugh, I've seen photos of your Aunt Fanny, and I have to say, she did have alot of facial hair!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
There has been some very unfair sniping in this thread at my favorite journalist, Iain Payten. He is the only member of his profession to have taken an interest in what I write. I would like to reciprocate but can never quite bring myself to do it. In this article whose length must surely have strained the attention span of the average Terror reader, I note a couple of sentences in particular:
Nucifora said new software monitors and processes daily information on a player's welfare, including things like training load and intensity through GPS units, well-being and ongoing physical state.
I am quite familiar with GPS equipment - my club has them - but for the life of me I cannot work out how much additional information such a relatively crude instrument would provide in assessing "training load and intensity" over standing on the sideline and simply observing. In a sport such as ours a GPS unit will tell you that in a scrum, maul or breakdown drill you are not covering very much distance, but not a huge amount more which might be relevant to soft tissue injuries such as those which have apparently sidelined the majority of the players named.

A sports medicine expert has been employed by the ARU to monitor the data, help the states use and interpret the system, and identify when players are at risk of injury, he said.
"A sports medicine expert", eh? That's Twenty-First Century thinking, David. Why haven't the franchises cottoned onto this themselves? I'm getting a real stirring in the nether regions about the prospects for Australian rugby now that we've engaged "a sports medicine expert". And I know it makes sense because my club uses a few of them.

Look out All Blacks, here we come. We've got GPS units and a sports medicine expert and that means we'll be "keeping our best players available for the longest period of time possible, performing at their peak."

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
There has been some very unfair sniping in this thread at my favorite journalist, Iain Payten. He is the only member of his profession to have taken an interest in what I write. I would like to reciprocate but can never quite bring myself to do it. In this article whose length must surely have strained the attention span of the average Terror reader, I note a couple of sentences in particular:

I am quite familiar with GPS equipment - my club has them - but for the life of me I cannot work out how much additional information such a relatively crude instrument would provide in assessing "training load and intensity" over standing on the sideline and simply observing. In a sport such as ours a GPS unit will tell you that in a scrum, maul or breakdown drill you are not covering very much distance, but not a huge amount more which might be relevant to soft tissue injuries such as those which have apparently sidelined the majority of the players named.

"A sports medicine expert", eh? That's Twenty-First Century thinking, David. Why haven't the franchises cottoned onto this themselves? I'm getting a real stirring in the nether regions about the prospects for Australian rugby now that we've engaged "a sports medicine expert". And I know it makes sense because my club uses a few of them.

Look out All Blacks, here we come. We've got GPS units and a sports medicine expert and that means we'll be "keeping our best players available for the longest period of time possible, performing at their peak."

I am not an expert but the lessons of Rocky IV are ringing through my head. Whilst Ivan Drago was using all the science at the powerful USSR's disposal to prepare for his bout, Rocky was in the Siberian wilderness cutting up logs and running in the snow. This built Rocky's character and in the championship rounds in the fight, Drago did not have the will or the passion that Rocky had.

Beware science, it takes away our soul. Rocky proved it.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Any word on where our Rocky is at the moment?

He might be in the siberian wilderness doing this right as we speak.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Rob Horne (hamstring)
Sekope Kepu (calf)

Isn't there something in S&C regimes that can be put down to a prevalence of hamstring injuries? I'm sure Bruce has mentioned it but it's a mismatch where the quads are proportionally much more powerful than the hamstrings and place undue load on them in a game situation and increasing risk of a hammy strain.

Or something...

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

Gosh Bruce , finally someone else has come on board. Soon they will also be refering to them as Osteopaths/Naturopaths!!
I've copped lots of crap from ignorant posters who just can't see the problem and "move forward", but I've got broad shoulders, and I've seen the results with elite athletes (NRL, Tri, Ironman, etc) extending their careers here in SEQ!

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
So it looks like we have some more names to add to the list of team rehab:

Barnes
Samo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
TPN
Higgers

God, who else was injured last night? Does anyone know the status of the guys listed?

If we count the guys above, the team rehab list looks something like:

Horwill
Genia
Pocock
Cooper
Barnes
Moore
Samo
TPN
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Higgers
Palmer
Kepu
Shatz
O'Connor
White
Palu
Mitchell
Horne

And that list doesn't include the fringe guys like To'omua, Lilo, Carter, Fardy, Tomane, Vuna, etc.

Tell me if there is someone I have missed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Baron von Red,

There are so many in Team Rehab now that we need to start considering taking nominations for the Panel of Selectors. There is some depth and serious competitition for places in the Team Rehab run on 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.