• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Team Rehab!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Baron von Red,

There are so many in Team Rehab now that we need to start considering taking nominations for the Panel of Selectors. There is some depth and serious competitition for places in the Team Rehab run on 15.

If the ARU wasn't such a shambles we would have funding for a "Team Rehab A" program to better prepare the up and coming injury prone for longer lay offs at the top level.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WJ,
You may have just discovered the other part of the facilities that facilitate a National Team that QC (Quade Cooper) wants. ARU Funding for a "Team Rehab A" program. Job done - Come back QC (Quade Cooper), look what we've got.:)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Barnes has a punctured lung. Morahan and Neville called up.
  • Wallabies back Berrick Barnes has spent the night in hospital after suffering a punctured lung in their Rugby Championship loss to South Africa.

Barnes was initially cleared of a chest injury after the 31-8 loss and returned to the team hotel in Pretoria, but suffered discomfort during the night and was taken back to hospital.

He will remain behind in Johannesburg for the next few days with the team doctor while the side travels on to Rosario in Argentina for their next match.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/mobile/a...60-4fb4-8d86-c270cf5a2342&_sp=2052&id=8540899

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I spoke to my mate the Osteopath this week, and he agrees that the Wallabies high injury level is due to players spending too much time "pumping iron" in the gym! "There's no substitute for match-fitness".

So why aren't there more regular "possibles v probables" games, e.g. Australia A v Australian Barbarians, or v Australian ADF, or v Prime Ministers 15, or v GAGR Forum's 15, or v Pacific Island Barbarians, or v Canada A, or v USA A etc., etc.?

( Maybe it's the shortage of dollars)?!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So why aren't there more regular "possibles v probables" games, e.g. Australia A v Australian Barbarians, or v Australian ADF, or v Prime Ministers 15, or v GAGR Forum's 15, or v Pacific Island Barbarians, or v Canada A, or v USA A etc., etc.?

( Maybe it's the shortage of dollars)?!

Exactly! They tried that a few years ago and the topic of match payments came up and then it was canned. Ruined it for everyone. Ruiners.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
So how many injuries are actually relevant, ie. not one offs from tackles

James O'Connor (hamstring)
Rob Horne (hamstring)
Sitaleki Timani (hamstring)
Stephen Moore (hamstring)
Sekope Kepu (calf)

there's not that many that can be put down to poor conditioning/workload

sorry guys, just noticed this thread. I dont believe for one second that young fit athletes should be getting hamstring injuries from running. An effective stretching program is just as important as any s+c program. Turner's hammy was a result of a disgraceful tackle in a trial match, the other hammy's are not. A hamstring tear back 1000 years ago when I was playing was nicknamed 'the old man's injury' and referred to the lack of proper stretching techniques.

T

TOCC

Yeah im not sure the solution is as easy as the players playing more games....

T

TOCC

sorry guys, just noticed this thread. I dont believe for one second that young fit athletes should be getting hamstring injuries from running. An effective stretching program is just as important as any s+c program. Turner's hammy was a result of a disgraceful tackle in a trial match, the other hammy's are not. A hamstring tear back 1000 years ago when I was playing was nicknamed 'the old man's injury' and referred to the lack of proper stretching techniques.

Damian Marsh(Reds S&C coach) did a presentation at Bond University at the end of the 2011 season, and during his analysis of the injuries which the players received throughout the year he identified a hamstring tear/twinge from a player(Rodney Davies im assuming) purely running/accelerating was the only preventable injury they had that year..

So yeah the key things to take away would be that hamstring tears done purely from running are considered preventable injuries by the S&C staff

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How long before Tom Waterhouse frames odds on who's next?

1.45 Palu
4.25 Mitchell
7.00 TPN
12.00 Higginbotham

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well team rehab is looking very mighty now. Lets see how it is looking:

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. Schatz
7. Pocock
8. Samo?
9. Genia
10. Lealiifano
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. Shipperley
15. O'Connor

16. Van Der Whithuizen
17. Cooper
18. Tomane
19. McCalman
20. S. Fainga'a
21. Cowan
22. Sam Carter

So team Wallaby gets Palu, Kepu and Mitchell back. Team rehab gains Alexander, Samo (?), Ioane, Shipperley, Fainga'a. Team rehab wins this round.. Again!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well team rehab is looking very mighty now. Lets see how it is looking:

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. Schatz
7. Pocock
8. Samo?
9. Genia
10. Lealiifano
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. Shipperley
15. O'Connor

16. Van Der Whithuizen
17. Cooper
18. Tomane
19. McCalman (can Force fans confirm that he is still injured?)
20. S. Fainga'a
21. Which props are still injured?
22. Sam Carter

So team Wallaby gets Palu, Kepu and Mitchell back. Team rehab gains Alexander, Samo (?), Ioane, Shipperley, Fainga'a. Team rehab wins this round.. Again!

Mccalman is still out and you can add cowan and maafu as props out. Aswell as hodgeson as 6/7 cover.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Has anyone heard how Lealiifano's rehab is coming along? A possible time frame on his return?

Interesting the way Cooper is not included in the rehab team list above.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The injuries we suffered this year were awful, unbelievable, often a result of terribly bad luck and partially ruined the wallaby season. It was horrible and enough to incense any wallaby fan, however, what angers me most is that the ARU's response and proposed solution has been so bloody typical of them; knee jerk, reactive rather than proactive, intent on giving them MORE power over the players and provinces (because they do SUCH a stellar job preventing the preventable when the players are under their care, plus it paints the picture of them taking control of the situation while the ruthless money hungry suits at the provinces try to crack the whip and drive the players into the ground), at minimal expense to them, and delivered to the media is such a way as to portray them as helpless (remember it is the ARU who agreed to extend the season), blameless (the evidence and rumours point to the nature of wallabies training as contributing to more preventable soft tissue injuries) and doing their best for the players and the code. All up the reaction has been cowardly, useless and self-serving to the core. We must do better than simply copy the Kiwis Nucifora!
What they could have done (and had such ample opportunity to do) is propose a thorough and multi-faceted approach to ensuring that our injury prevention system, player management and strength and conditioning is up there among the best in the world, regardless of sport.

That in mind, I propose the following
1. [the most important] The appointment of a National Director (coordinator) of athletic preparation and development. The person appointed to this role would be responsible for the coordinated planning of the type/timing of training that all Wallabies under take (not specific gym exercises, running sessions etc., that would be the role of the WALLABY strength and conditioning coach though if he was the right person [see below] then I suppose he could consult there), plus monitoring overall load/health status and progress made in rehab both while with the national team and then would consult with the Super teams. These roles are usually covered by just an S and C coach and physio/Dr at the provinces (though at the Reds they have Ollie Richardson as well who basically is a S&C coach/rehab expert responsible for programming the boys while they are still recovering from injury and transitioning them back to full S&C and rugby training) but I feel that in the national set up an overseer type person is required to fully streamline the efforts of all departments into a fully integrated system. Furthermore, they would have roles in rugby specific S&C coach education, and basically development of the Australian rugby approach to athletic preparation, from the top level initially and eventually all the way down to club/school level.

For example, this person would oversee how much the wallabies should and will be doing as far as timing and intensity of sessions (skills, speed, gym, fitness and critically recovery/regeneration) and take a global approach to planning week to week and month to month volumes of load and recovery and then advise the S&C coach and skills coaches on how hard and when they should push the players (Damian Marsh does this at the Reds, though like I said, in the national set-up I think it would be appropriate and dare I say it proactive and innovative to appoint a separate guy to do this along with the other roles) and when to back off certain players because they are at risk. Then, during the off-season and partially during Super rugby, they would perform consultant work at each franchise doing the same thing, plus be involved in setting up systems and infrastructure for clubs and schools such that we have a consistently excellent approach to strength and conditioning and player management across all levels of the game.

To top it off, I reckon I know the perfect candidate for a job like that (ARU hacks possibly reading this take note). His name is James Smith, he's an American strength and conditioning coach working in Europe with a glittering resume. The guy is an absolute genius, and has written extensively about the need for the kind of role I just described (He and I both believe it to be the way forward for athletic preparation), furthermore is that the guy has expert experience in that kind of role IN rugby union (as well as previously with other sports). He currently fills a position like this with the Portuguese Rugby Union (his website is http://www.powerdevelopmentinc.com/)

2. The resurrection of Camp Wallaby
I don't particularly care where, but I think it is a good idea to have a place for the wallabies to base themselves for the times when they are in 2 or 3 week training block in preparation for a Test or series of Tests (like the Poms do at Twickenham/Penny Hill Park). Perhaps it could fit into some existing infrastructure (somewhere). Ideally it would be an all in one prep facility complete with accommodation, state of the art gym and fitness spaces and gear, recovery facilities (ice bath, physio rooms etc.) and food (with dieticians and chefs preparing everything, like they do at the Brumbies. Perhaps the players could have the option of paying for that like at the Brums I don't know), plus a place for them to check into and have interviews/consultations with national team staff (when their super team is in town). The reds have something close to this at Ballymore (maybe the re-development would make Ballymore the a good place once its finished, though that might piss off the non-QLD players/fans). I just don't think it does the boys any favours to have to be shifting for each and every week when they are playing in Australia/NZ. I think it would be better if they train all week at some kind of "spiritual home" and then make the trips to the venue closer to the day before (obviously when they're on tour in SA/ARG/Europe this is moot). This is more of a long-term idea.

3. An agreement between all parties and players about the amount of training time (and if necessary, game time) players should be rested from during a Super season, plus a universal standard about what constitutes a player being unfit to play (definitions of what is a minor enough niggle to play through and what isn't, though I realise an standard is unlikely and it probably needs to be more on a individual case-by case basis, therefore a person should be appointed to do those consults.).

4. An ARU sponsored initiative to mandate the use of this app floating around in rugby league circles where the players input information about their weight, sleep quality, subjective and objective measures of recovery, health status etc. at designated times (e.g every day, week whatever) and all the info is collated by the ARU and provinces (though I know that some provinces have already got this in motion). This would provide actionable player feedback in a simple and user friendly way to help with their management and rehab/recovery.

I think those 4 things would be a great, and dare I say it, proactive and innovative approach that would put us ahead of the game in this vital area, and hopefully reduce the likelihood of another injury disaster like we saw this year

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I think that you will find that most of the Super teams have this set up already with the Force hireing David Joyce in the exact postition you describe.

The biggest problem is competing interests. You argue that the ARU shoudn't take more control but you then argue in points 1, 3 and 4 that they should through this mythical person. There is value in every point that you maek however how do you balance the needs of the Super teams agains the Wallabies. If you have a player like Pokock with hammy tightness and you are heading into the super 15 final you are not going to rest him on the off chance the he might tear it and be out for the Rugby Championships.

From the outside it looks like and sounds like there needs to be better managment once the players are in the Wallaby set up. This is where the ARU can take more control. During the Super seasons the National and State staff should develop guide lines as to player managment but while the Super season is on their performance is going to be predominate. I think that what could be put in place for potential Wallabies is fitness targets, which could reduce the workload required once into camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.