• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Australian Points out what we already knew; Giteau is close to signing in france

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This is a particularly stupid idea...

Along with Giteau most of the current Wallaby squad would be ineligible because they're either heading overseas or waiting until later in the year to decide...

or they can sign a contract now to ensure their future

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Only in aus

Actually - I think that Giteau is more highly regarded overseas and as been for a couple of years now; especially since Aussies started noticing that his eternal quest for the outside break was looking more and more like a Monty Python movie.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I just don't think anyone who wears the Wallabies jersey, especially someone like Matt Giteau, deserves to be told to fuck off by fans. Pretty much against the moral teachings of GAGR... ;)

It's fine to attack and debate his selection, but it's another thing to condemn the bloke to hell. Just imagine if he was a Queenslander! hahaha Anyway, your reaction got me thinking...

naza's reaction to Palu's future retirement:

:( "We'll miss you mate and your absences; I really loved the way you payed for your doctors new BMW through medical bills and wore your crutches with Aussie pride. I'll never again be able to include you in my Preferred Wallaby - if everyone is fit - XV" :'(

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Naza is just jealous because Giteau has played for a team that has won a Super title....

Something a Tahs fan will never experience...

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Bon voyage et adieu Monsieur Giteau as you return to your ancestral home. I think you would look best in Stade pink.

I'm looking forward to a G&GR Gits Best of Mash Up but please don't let Naza do the editting.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why the Giteau hate? He has played 91 tests, has been for most of his career regarded as one of the best players in the world, and wears his jersey with pride. Show some respect.

I think he is a solid player who has struggled to dominate against the very best (tri-nations & RWC) without Larkham's passes

(palu has the same type of record so far as well)

W

WB3

Giteau WAS great and recently hasn't been. That means that as diehard fans we get pretty frustrated by his continuing poor play. The fact that he has, in previous years, been so good has only worsened the situation as he was selected consistently when on merit he didn't deserve it.
However, despite myself being very frustrated by him this year, he isn't beyond redemption. I would rather see a firing Giteau at the RWC than none at all.

As for showing him respect, I will probably remember him as a good player after he is retired, but for the time being I'd rather select the player who is CURRENTLY the best in any given position, so, unless he picks up his game I'd be happy enough to see him go.

N

Newter

Why the Giteau hate? He has played 91 tests, has been for most of his career regarded as one of the best players in the world, and wears his jersey with pride. Show some respect.

I'm happy to see him go. He had a lot of talent, and still has, but almost never made the most of it. He didn't pay attention to details that bored him - such as concentrating on kicks at goal from in front. He didn't play to his ability except when forced to by a draconian coach who he tried to get rid of. Is it any coincidence that his best year was 2008, the second year of his tutelage under the Fuhrer, aka John Mitchell? He covered all the basics of good flyhalf play that year - reading the defence, setting up his outside men, no lazy "instinctive" running that goes nowhere. Then he got sick of listening to the coach, had a shite year in 2009, and moved to the Brumbies where there is no coach and got even worse.

Kudos to him for his big heart in defence against much bigger opponents, but I'll always think of him as someone who shirked the hard mental work of preparation before the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think he is a solid player who has struggled to dominate against the very best (tri-nations & RWC) without Larkham's passes

(palu has the same type of record so far as well)

Exactly. His best days were playing outside Larkham at the Brumbies, and in the Wallabies. Someone got into his head and convinced him he was the next big thing at 10, and the resultant chopping and changing from position to position made him far less effective than he'd have been if he just concentrated on being a better and better 12. I think. He also needed to learn that he did not need to make all the play or make the break - a big weakness was his deficiency in setting up the outside man well, which became the habitual crabbing that dogged the later part of his career.
A talented player who did not really show his skills to their best potential in many ways.

N

Newter

Exactly. His best days were playing outside Larkham at the Brumbies, and in the Wallabies. Someone got into his head and convinced him he was the next big thing at 10, and the resultant chopping and changing from position to position made him far less effective than he'd have been if he just concentrated on being a better and better 12. I think. He also needed to learn that he did not need to make all the play or make the break - a big weakness was his deficiency in setting up the outside man well, which became the habitual crabbing that dogged the later part of his career.
A talented player who did not really show his skills to their best potential in many ways.

I thought his best days were leading the Force at flyhalf. As a 12 he was never more than a flat track bully, feeding off the work of better team mates, but he battled and earned some good wins for the Force. He stood out a lot for the Wallabies in 2008 too.

T

TheTruth

Cannot blame the bloke - whether justified or not (not my call) he has been flogged in the media in general and here as well. Wish him luck and a return to the form he displayed a year or two or three ago

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Ha.

Anyways, it's already bee pointed out that the players are all signed with super clubs until December...

No no, liqour box is right. We should introduce a completely spurious additional contract in order to potentially remove some of our best players from contention for the World Cup. Marvellous.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
AT the risk of Cyclo calling me for repetitiveness, I predicted Giteau would go June last year and at the time I said that I thought it was said that he would be remembered as over-rated and overpaid.

He was by far the best 12 Oz has had since Horan, but that was before Connolly had the brain fart and tried to turn him into a 9 and his extended sojourn at 10 appeared to ruin his play at 12. Giteau was never a good test 10 against any competitive opposition. He was passable at S14 level and did play some blinders there.

I am indeed happy to see him leave as in the Deans era he became undroppable regardless of how woeful his form was (until the last two games of the EOYT anyway). That however doesn't stop me wondering what would have been if Giteau had said, "I'm not really comfortable at 10 and I play best at 12."

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
He's signed until the RWC end of story.

Giteau would not be in my starting 15 but he is a great bench option for any mid game injuries, if Quade or Barnes go down 30 minutes into a RWC 1/4 or semi final Gits is a bloody good player to be bring on with nearly 100 tests under his belt I'm sure most other nations wouldn't mind a Matt Giteau warming the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.