• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Calm down folks.
NZ didn't "do" this.
The IRB made the rule (which most seem to think is stupid and unnecessary) regarding the haka, not NZ, and they imposed the fine.
No more personal abuse, please, it is not necessary or justified.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Forever the "moderator" in my family, Mrs Doug has reminded me that we were "banned" from singing 'Waltzing Matilda' in 2003, however, copious hakas were permitted to be performed! And you guys wonder why I'm pissed off?!

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
You are being precious...

It's not the Kiwis who have fined the French, and they are in fact in agreement that this fine is rubbish...

I think what Doug was saying, re: " ... now the NZRU have created a situation ..." isn't that this particular incident was directly driven by NZRU, but that the whole Haka thing, and respect for it, was a result of Wales (?) marching up on the AB's a few years ago in Cardiff. The NZRU complained it was disrepectful and so the IRB made up their little rule, hence ......... Prior to that it was just do as you please.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Forever the "moderator" in my family, Mrs Doug has reminded me that we were "banned" from singing 'Waltzing Matilda' in 2003, however, copious hakas were permitted to be performed! And you guys wonder why I'm pissed off?!

John Williamson coming out and singing Waltzing Matilda for 5 minutes while all the players stand around bored was downright silly...

I was glad to see it go...

I don't think it can be compared to something like the haka as there is no player involvement...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
John Williamson coming out and singing Waltzing Matilda for 5 minutes while all the players stand around bored was downright silly...

I was glad to see it go...

I don't think it can be compared to something like the haka as there is no player involvement...

backing vocals?
but they didn't stand around - we wanted to sing it in the early stages of the game and weren't permitted to
its a double standard, no doubt

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
backing vocals?
but they didn't stand around - we wanted to sing it in the early stages of the game and weren't permitted to

Actually, all the players stood in place waiting for the kick off off while Williamson (or whatever other bad country singer they pulled out) sung the song...

It was embarassing...

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
As a 63.5 year old I have probably seen more Hakas than most of you. The first 20 were interesting, the next 30 were tedious, and the remainder hyave been BBBOOORRRIIINNNGGG!!! I respected the Haka until a BC match a few years ago whilst listening to two Kiwi commentaters on ABC Grandstand, we were told "ladies and gentleman, you have just witnessed the new, revised Haka"! Oh yeh...so what happened to "tradition"?? I refused to watch the Haka which preceeded the RWC11 final, but I'm glad the challenge was returned by the French.
I have been accused of being "precious" and "having no balls" by two regular posters on this forum, because I stood up for Quade, and dared to critisize the Kiwi crowds for their " garbage" thrown at Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) (whenever he lined up a kick). And now the NZRU have created a situation where the French have been fined for having the audacity to challenge the Haka!!! What a mob of sooks you are....particular mention goes to Dan 34P and teach, shame, shame, shame.

I'm sorry. Have you not had your cocoa today? Here is what I posted this morning:
"I thought it was great. They answered a challenge and didn't back down. No one got too close or threw a punch so surely the IRB can put it down to pre match excitement and ignore it. "

Like pretty much every kiwi, we thought it was great what the french team did. Did you not hear the cheer they got? How does that make me a sook?
Ask nursey for an extra marshmallow and it will be all okay in the morning.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think what Doug was saying, re: " ... now the NZRU have created a situation ..." isn't that this particular incident was directly driven by NZRU, but that the whole Haka thing, and respect for it, was a result of Wales (?) marching up on the AB's a few years ago in Cardiff. The NZRU complained it was disrepectful and so the IRB made up their little rule, hence ......... Prior to that it was just do as you please.
No the NZRU didn't complain about that, but the IRB said they didn't want it happening in WC, I have never heard the one that NZ said it was disrespectful, in fact as I remember every kiwi thought that like the french was great.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Hey Teach, off topic, but your sig has taken on a whole new meaning since last Sunday. I prefer the hitchhikers guide version 'don't panic' as the opener though, has more kick to it.

Back on topic, anyone who knows kiwi rugby would know kiwis love the teams that front up to the ABs. That's the whole bloody point of the thing, a challenge given, and returned.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Take a deep breath Dan :)

It's all a great big crock. I am guessing the IRB are worried that fights could break out, and just as importantly the financial value of the spectacle on tv, to wit all the cameras.

Loved the French response, pure magic. Reminded me of this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8hzfrTPo6E&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Yep fair enough Al, but I am a little sick of hearing these stories that keep getting made up, as someone has pointed out thay noticed Ali Williams had stepped over 10m mark during hakas, as have the Tongans, Fijians, and as I recall the Samoan team at one stage, though noone has thought to mention that. Lets make it clear, I don't agree with rule, to be honest wouldn't really worry me if Haka was not done before games if it scares or worries teams so much, the only point I trying to make is like the mouthguard rubbish thats been bought up in this thread, try to keep it truthful, I begin to think some of us in here are just trying to react to headlines. I have heard Marto claim a number of times and sen it on posts in here that opposition have to line up on 10m line, bollocks they do, they can go and play touch so long as they don't cross line, and it only during WC. Main point I was trying to make at start, although I applauded French, they knew what they were doing would result in fine, and they can afford it ,so lets not say anything else. Hell kiwis know more than anyone on here what it costs if you don't stick to WC rules, remember it cost us co hosting rights to 2003.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
No the NZRU didn't complain about that, but the IRB said they didn't want it happening in WC, I have never heard the one that NZ said it was disrespectful, in fact as I remember every kiwi thought that like the french was great.
Think it was more to do with Nonu's reaction to it a while back. Made himself(and the rest of the country by association) look very precious

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
backing vocals?
IS, what do you mean you weren't allowed to sing it during the game, exact point I made, that's rubbish, the IRB have no juridiction over what a crowd sings even at WC, once again, don't take what Oz papers say as gospel huh??

Patto.

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think rules to protect the Haka or any other nations pre match display is a load of tripe. If a national side wants to put out a challenge then let them. If the opposing team wants to challenge, suffer or ignore it then let them. Back in the 60's I recall the AB's performing a haka at each side facing the crowd. All this talk of traditionally being a challenge is just talk. The Haka at Rugby was traditionally ceremonial and for entertainment.
Campo preferred to warm up 60 meters away and Scott Young wanted to belt them...you choose to challenge then accept the response.....whatever it may be short of violence. IRB butt out.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm sorry. Have you not had your cocoa today? Here is what I posted this morning:
"I thought it was great. They answered a challenge and didn't back down. No one got too close or threw a punch so surely the IRB can put it down to pre match excitement and ignore it. "

Like pretty much every kiwi, we thought it was great what the french team did. Did you not hear the cheer they got? How does that make me a sook?
Ask nursey for an extra marshmallow and it will be all okay in the morning.

Started work at 4am (Qld) today, so no time for cocoa or your post. Interesting comment, so have you written to the IRB to advise them of their folly?... No, I thought not...all piss and wind...again!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, what do you mean you weren't allowed to sing it during the game, exact point I made, that's rubbish, the IRB have no juridiction over what a crowd sings even at WC, once again, don't take what Oz papers say as gospel huh??

Williamson was not allowed on the ground.

You really ought not to shoot your mouth off quite so freely: http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA20030904029

This is actually a pretty funny parliamentary debate - the main speaker hooks into all the GPS blokes in parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.