• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Hickey Must go thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the point being made (and very well if I say so ;)) is why the hell didnt Hickey have a proper rotation policy this season (aside from the one that was forced on him by injury and even then he didnt manage it very well) if he thinks that it has merit.

When you compare the S15 demands on players with those in the UK with the GP and HC, it does tend to make you roll your eyes a tad.

And as for learning from your mistakes, FFS this guy is meant to be a top-level provincial rugby coach, not an up and coming wannabe in subbies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Another vote with naza.
I think a good rotation policy is ideal, if the cattle are there to make it work.
Maybe Hickey thought the best way to get the most out of the squad was to do it the way he did. On reflection, that may have been wrong, and now he wants to change it.
Full credit to the boys for being willing to change (apologies to Will Genia for borrowed cliche).

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Hawko said:
On Rugby Heaven I note Hickey has been quoted by Rupert Guinness saying that next year he would have a rotation policy to ensure players did not get physically worn down. This is the height of hypocrisy from a coach who

Worked on the principle that the most important game of the season was the next one, so he always picked his top selection, even against the Lions
Never used his bench unless he was forced to.
Over-used his front rowers till they broke and then brought them back early so they could break down again.
Persisted with his favourites weeks after it was clear they were dragging the team back.
Picked Alcock for one game where he had a blinder and never used him again.
Did not try another winger all season, just hoped no one got injured.

Its incomprehensible.
+1

I also think game plans and bench use were a major factor in all losses, and admittedly one or two wins. But agree wholeheartedly with someone that whilst Hickey is shite, he should only be replaced with the RIGHT coach, not any old person.

Also re talent...someone (sorry forgot names) mentioned all the crap we recruited, but mitigating factors of Hickey bringing in Douglas, Dennis and McCutch, but Dennis and McCutch have been in the system for years, and Hickey refused to re-sign Dennis until Robbie Deans shoved Wallaby tour selection down his throat. Just sayin'...

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Longer season next year (as I find myself constantly saying) every team will need a rotation policy.

S

simonr

am new(ish) here, so may have missed this discussion already. Do we have a list of alternative coaches? I'd love to see hickey replaced, but who is capable of doing the job?

S

simonr

I should have stipulated "available"
(although I will never get over his axing)

S

simonr

Potentially answering my own question here:

TODD LOUDEN – A RUGBY COACH WITH POINTS ON THE BOARD

Todd Louden is a highly-skilled and successful rugby union coach whose performances have left an indelible mark in three countries.

Canberra-born and educated Louden, 39, is presently Director of Rugby and Head Coach at the Ricoh Company Rugby Football Club in Japan where he has taken the team from second division to the top three in the country.

He moved there last year after a highly-successful one year stint with the NSW Waratahs as team attack and backline coach.

There he oversaw the youngest backline in Waratahs and Super 14 history and had a major hand in the Sydney-based franchise reaching the final against the eventual winners, the Canterbury Crusaders.

A former Australian Schoolboys, Australian Under 21 and ACT representative halfback, Louden’s passion for the game led him to Sydney’s Waverley College where he coached the 1st XV. His thirst for wider experience then took him to Brisbane where he spent two years as Queensland Rugby’s State Development Manager.

His appointment as Sydney University’s Director of Coaching followed and, during a three year term, the Students won the club championship and provided more players to representative teams than any other premiership club.

Louden’s appointment as backs coach and later head coach of the Meiji club in Japan marked his first association with rugby in the Land of the Rising Sun. He his two years with the club he took the team from 64th to top five in the national championship.

He moved back to Sydney in 2005 as head coach of the famous Randwick club where he spent three seasons (1993-1996) as a first-grade player. In season 2006, Randwick, placed ninth the previous year, won the minor premiership and reached the grand final, going down narrowly to Sydney University 16-10. For his effort, Louden went on to win NSW coach of the year.

His move soon thereafter to South Africa as team attack and backline coach of the Bulls could not have been better timed. In 2007, the Bulls became the first South African franchise to win a Super Rugby title, beating arch rivals the Sharks 20-19 in the decider. That the Bulls scored 435 points at an average of 29 points a match comprehensively showcased Louden’s talents.

Based in Tokyo with his wife, Janine, and two young children, Louden is contracted to Ricoh until the end of the 2010 season.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ah, the Louden myth.

Louden was already offered the job but turned us down. He couldn't resist stuffing yen into his pockets. Besides, he was attack coach in 2008 and our attack sucked harder than Nick The Aussie at Kens at Kensington.

I don't know if this is just a Louden myth or that posters here have the misguided belief that all we need is 1 change and miraculously things will be a zillion times better. Michael Foley is due a shot.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Look, the guy's only had two full seasons. Give him another 6 to 8 and he might have got the hang of recruitment, game plans and even rotation.

C

chief

I'm gonna get laughed at here. But what about Phil Mooney? Although he's with Otago, he wasn't THAT bad at the Reds. He did help them develop. Or maybe even Nucifora, have a switch. Mooney takes Nucifora's position, and Nucifora takes the Tahs. But Nucifora wasn't the greatest coach. Man I'm talking some shit tonight

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hickey has done OK, not perfect, but his success is about as good as Link's with the Tahs, to replace him it would have to be an upgrade.

No one mentioned would offer more and so far the players appear to be satisfied as well, as none are leaving.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
MrMouse said:
I also think game plans and bench use were a major factor in all losses, and admittedly one or two wins. But agree wholeheartedly with someone that whilst Hickey is shite, he should only be replaced with the RIGHT coach, not any old person.

Also re talent...someone (sorry forgot names) mentioned all the crap we recruited, but mitigating factors of Hickey bringing in Douglas, Dennis and McCutch, but Dennis and McCutch have been in the system for years, and Hickey refused to re-sign Dennis until Robbie Deans shoved Wallaby tour selection down his throat. Just sayin'...

That 'someone' talks a lot of sense.

The s15 rotation policy is a welcome change (a bit like benching Anesi, getting Beale on to the field, playing ball in hand rugby.....) - better late than never.

The use of the bench is the other area of concern - just as a manager needs to think in terms of a whole squad rather than just a game day 22, he should also think in terms of using 22 players effectively instead of just 15, with replacements being made only due to injuries.

If Hickey doesn't go, he at least must learn fast (er), and if someone who has already learnt comes along then bring him in.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
MrMouse said:
Hawko said:
On Rugby Heaven I note Hickey has been quoted by Rupert Guinness saying that next year he would have a rotation policy to ensure players did not get physically worn down. This is the height of hypocrisy from a coach who

Worked on the principle that the most important game of the season was the next one, so he always picked his top selection, even against the Lions - the team wasnt clicking and he was trying to get them to.
Never used his bench unless he was forced to. - like when players got injured or tired or he wanted fresh legs
Over-used his front rowers till they broke and then brought them back early so they could break down again. - had injuries all year, the medical staff cleared players, he played them.
Persisted with his favourites weeks after it was clear they were dragging the team back. - the team made the finals, ewen picked favs all year, they didnt.
Picked Alcock for one game where he had a blinder and never used him again. - cos waugh is the captain and was playing his best year for a few seasons.
Did not try another winger all season, just hoped no one got injured. - cos the back three were playing well and winger isnt exactly a position were someone has to learn it.

Its incomprehensible. - comprehensible to argue both ways, just if you search for negatives you forget the things you complain about were done by pretty much 99% of the team in the comp.

wasnt a perfect year, hardly the clusterf#@k you make it out to be.
+1

dennis was resigned after the tahs missed out on rocky, hardly refusing to sign him until deans as you put it, there was one spot in the squad left.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Actually incorrect, they didn't have space for Dennis until Fava retired, Dennis knew that this was the case, wanted to stay and didn't take up other offers.

Dennis wanted to re pay the Tahs for keeping him in the program despite being perennially inured through his first contract

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it's Mowen you're thinking of, WJ.

Happy for Hickey to stay, but I'm really curious if any of these coaches know how to put a plan B together. Saturday was just horrible to watch and I always assume that enough tape gets watched through the week to establish a couple of game plans.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There'll be another ingredient in the mix next year as Wisemantel's off. I rate Foley, there'd be few better pigs' coaches going around, maybe the addition of another skills/backs coach could make this coaching team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
There'll be another ingredient in the mix next year as Wisemantel's off. I rate Foley, there'd be few better pigs' coaches going around, maybe the addition of another skills/backs coach could make this coaching team.

I pray for David Knox

Status
Not open for further replies.