• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
So based on that I could possibly post on my social media that I hate coloured people, or gay people for example and not get terminated from my job because I can claim it's within my religious freedoms? When in actual fact if I did go around spreading that sort of hate I wouldn't be surprised to find myself out of a job because persecution for how someone was born is just wrong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given the talk on "Folau's Law", I'm opening the thread again.

It's never going to happen or if it does, it will be so weak it won't be worth anything. The reality is the law already exists to protect employees but there is no way that anyone, even the most fervent religious zealots in parliament are going to advocate for a new law that provides unlimited and unrestricted protection for employees to do and say what they want in the name of religion with no potential repercussions from their employer.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's never going to happen or if it does, it will be so weak it won't be worth anything. The reality is the law already exists to protect employees but there is no way that anyone, even the most fervent religious zealots in parliament are going to advocate for a new law that provides unlimited and unrestricted protection for employees to do and say what they want in the name of religion with no potential repercussions from their employer.
Having said that, if they do i might found my own religion so i have carte blanche to say whatever the fuck i want and not get the sack.

You are all welcome to join.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)

I think they will certainly tighten it up, at least so you can't dismiss someone for just 'bringing the game into disrepute' or 'breaching social media guidelines', I'd anticipate them making it clear that a religious post on social media is something done within the employees own private sphere, rather than their conduct as a pro athlete. I think a higher bar without going overboard

I agree that it shouldn't go any further because of damage to employers, you do need some form of a right to get rid of cooked people from your organisation

It's worth noting the new senate will see the Coalition need four cross bench votes - with Corey Bernardi, One Nation x2 and lambie/CA, they could easily get these changes up.

One thing I will say is that (unlike Barnaby) I don't think there is a huge groundswell of religious people out there who went nuts about this and flipped their votes, but really, PR people and the business community have misread the community views. At the very least there's a sizeable number of people who are not for this, and it's actually quite a divisive issue in the community (another reason business should keep its dirty hands away from the whole thing)

Will Corporate Relations types that love evangalising about their 'values' stop and introspect on this? Absolutely not, of course, because they're so soaked in the incumbent partisan corporate wank they're utterly incapable of self reflection

Perhaps, given Kevin Rudd, Chris Bowen and Anthony Albanese have all said their relationship with the religious community needs a bit of a rethink, our Corporate PR groupthink operators should do the same

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I wonder what RugbyAu thinks about Senators from the incumbent government of this country telling them it helped win re-election

Great for their branding, no doubt!​

S

sidelineview

So based on that I could possibly post on my social media that I hate coloured people, or gay people for example and not get terminated from my job because I can claim it's within my religious freedoms? When in actual fact if I did go around spreading that sort of hate I wouldn't be surprised to find myself out of a job because persecution for how someone was born is just wrong.

What religion would that be?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder what RugbyAu thinks about Senators from the incumbent government of this country telling them it helped win re-election

Great for their branding, no doubt!

Especially when it's coming from the undead energy suckhole from Hobart who wouldn't know his Folau from his Fainga'a

S

sidelineview

Morrison wanted to implement protection for religious freedom after the SSM vote but with no luck.
As far as it happening, I wouldn't say never and would rather hear what an expert in that field has to say about it.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Does it matter? You can just make it up. Or you can choose to interpret an existing one appropriately.

> I'm a Graeco-Roman pagan
> I practice haruspicy
> The entrails of a gutted lamb tell me that [insert targets name] is a c*nt/fornicator of donkeys/literally Hitler/Crusaders supporter, or some combination thereof
> Can't @ me because it's my religion

Jobs a good 'un.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ridiculous.
How so?

It seems perfectly valid. All i need to do to rag on people with impunity is to establish that what i am saying is based on some belief in the metaphysical. Should be easy to justify saying anything, really. After all, there are thousands of faiths out there.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
BTW, I agree Tex. There's not really anything to discuss about it any more that's actually directly rugby relevant. It will just degenerate into legal/political garble. As such, I'm not going to directly participate in the conversation but am happy for it to stay open and will observe in the background until it's shut down.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Oz I get there are going to be developments in the story, but it really doesn't warrant reopening this shit-show every time there's a bump in the papers.

This thread has become the defacto politics board and should be shut for the same reasons.

It's on a tight leash. I won't let it descent to level of the politics thread. First sniff of that, or if I (or one of the mods) see any unnecessary crap, it will be locked again.

S

sidelineview

How so?

It seems perfectly valid. All i need to do to rag on people with impunity is to establish that what i am saying is based on some belief in the metaphysical. Should be easy to justify saying anything, really. After all, there are thousands of faiths out there.

I asked what religion in response to a post which stated it was ok under religious freedom to openly spread hatred of coloured, gay people etc.
Its not ok to promote hatred or violence.

You will no doubt disagree but Folau didnt promote hatred or violence.
For the thousandth time he referred to a passage from the Bible which is the biggest selling book in history and obviously the book upon which Christianity is based.

Also for the thousandth time, not all Christians would have posted what he did or how he did it. However, it is believed by many that he had the right to.

No doubt the lawyers will sort it out if it continues legally.

Of course RA and Qantas could get together and formulate their own politically correct version of the Holy Bible and all contracted players could refer to that under the terms of their contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.