• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Does anybody think there's something weirdly self-destructive about this? He posts this knowing full well about the social media clause in his contract, then dodges calls from RA all day? Did he skip training today too? Does he have a better offer so he wants out of his contract?

Yup. A few days after he secures the record and after months of borderline happy clappy bullshit, boom...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I doubt it's about a better offer. He must have known he could do better in Japan or Europe already anyway.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With certain jobs come certain requirements.

Professional athletes income and value is derived from not only their sporting efforts, but their broader marketing appeal and profile. Companies pay significant figures to have their brands associated with sporting teams which Folau is an employee of, when he signs on that dotted line he does so knowing his public profile, not just his match day efforts will be held to an accountable standard.

QANTAS, Accenture and ASICS almost walked away from the Wallabies after the last comments, LandRover withdrew their direct sponsorship of Folau, as these comments go against against the values of what their companies want to represent. People can can argue ‘freedom of speech’ all they like, but freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom of consequences.

He knew the risk of his latest post.

Although QANTAS seems to have no problem being in a profitable commercial partnership with Emirates, the state owned airline of the UAE where homosexuality is a criminal offence punishable by up to 14 years in prison. So let's not start useing large companies as our moral compass.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Although QANTAS seems to have no problem being in a profitable commercial partnership with Emirates, the state owned airline of the UAE where homosexuality is a criminal offence punishable by up to 14 years in prison. So let's not start useing large companies as our moral compass.

Qantas is the major sponsor of Emirates and the UAE?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Qantas is the major sponsor of Emirates and the UAE?

I've reread my post a number of times and can't quite see where I said this. I think what I was saying was quite clear and your post is a deliberate misrepresentation and a statement disguised as a question.

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've reread my post a number of times and can't quite see where I said this. I think what I was saying was quite clear and your post is a deliberate misrepresentation and a statement disguised as a question.

It’s just another false equivalence.........

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No it's not. You can't on one hand say that you don't want your company associated with someone expressing anti-homosexual views, but at the same time enter into a profitable business arrangement with a company whose owners have a criminal law against homosexuality.

they can, and they will

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Out of interest, does RA cancelling their contract with Izzie actually remove him from rugby? It would certainly cancel their top up contributions, but his primary contract is with Waratahs Ltd isn't it?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I believe their contracts need to be ratified by the ARU as per the RUPA CBA, so technically RA gets the last say and can tear up the contract if they wish. However in this circumstance, Waratahs have released a statement which reflects Rugby Australia’s

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Out of interest, does RA cancelling their contract with Izzie actually remove him from rugby? It would certainly cancel their top up contributions, but his primary contract is with Waratahs Ltd isn't it?

It was a joint statement with the Tahs, so I’d say he’s done.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I believe their contracts need to be ratified by the ARU as per the RUPA CBA, so technically RA gets the last say and can tear up the contract if they wish. However in this circumstance, Waratahs have released a statement which reflects Rugby Australia’s

Thanks Adam.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
A lot of outrage against one footballer, contrast this to the outrage or lack of it to the 42% of the respondents to the same sex marriage survey in NSW who voted no.

Maybe that was a no go zone because the biggest no votes were recorded in NSW electorates with high overseas born populations with strong religious beliefs both Christian and non Christian.

Maybe this was just too big of a catch 22 for the easily offended brigade.

This would be interesting, Labor MP (Moana Pasifika) Jason Clare's electorate of Blaxland had the highest no vote 3 out of 4 voted no. Given politicians so quickly denounce views they are offended by such as putting One Nation last on the voting card, would Jason Clare have the balls to say to all those people who voted no, I do not support your personal opinion, I find it offensive and I do not want your vote.

I don't think so, without double standards Jason Clare is out of a job.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-15/nsw-had-highest-no-vote-for-same-sex-marriage-survey/9152542

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And thus be exposed as hypocrites.

In the era of globalisation you can draw tenuous links which question the ethical boundaries and moral compass on varying levels of acceptance around the world. Homosexuality is illegal in more countries then it’s not, QANTAS can’t change the opinion of a sovereign nation, but they can choose to reassess their sponsorship of sporting teams in Australia.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A lot of outrage against one footballer,

I think he's entitled to his views.

I don't agree with his interpretation of Christianity

I don't care what his views are on anything other than rugby.

I think he is extremely unwise to propogate his views on social media

I think RA are perfectly entitled to discipline him as they have previously asked him to refrain from making such posts and as the employer they have the right to certain expectations from their employees.

I think that there would be a significant group of professional rugby players who would have some sympathy with Folau and his Christian beliefs but would express themselves differently

Folau said before signing his last deal that he was happy to walk away from Australian rugby if his beliefs caused a problem. I assume that he sincerely holds the views expressed and as such the termination of his contract isn't the most important thing in his life.

There are no winners in this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In the era of globalisation you can draw tenuous links which question the ethical boundaries and moral compass on varying levels of acceptance around the world. Homosexuality is illegal in more countries then it’s not, QANTAS can’t change the opinion of a sovereign nation, but they can choose to reassess their sponsorship of sporting teams in Australia.

But they can chosse to reassess their business relationships with them - assuming that they are acting on a moral basis.

QANTAS chose some years ago to sever former code share agreements with British Airways, Air France, Alitalia, Cathay Pacific and replace them with an arrangement with Emirates.

You can't have your moral cake and eat it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.