• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One warning for a code of conduct breach and then you're out of the game?

Karmichael Hunt, James Slipper, James O'Connor, Danny Cipriani, Kurtley Beale, Digby Ioane, should I go on?

KHunt very lucky, but I suppose the charges being dropped helped...........

JOC (James O'Connor) was booted out............ had two years overseas.

Beale has a code of conduct hearing, which he survived...........

Slipper only had one transgression...........

I don’t remember what Ioane did?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
KHunt very lucky, but I suppose the charges being dropped helped.....

JOC (James O'Connor) was booted out.... had two years overseas.

Beale has a code of conduct hearing, which he survived.....

Slipper only had one transgression.....

I also must have missed where any of these guys repeatedly and publicly condemned a minority group to eternal suffering.

Bit of an apples and oranges situation on several levels - closest thing would be the incident with Beale a few years ago and even then, no bigotry in play there.

The breaches with other players were not out of the realm of what you would expect from career footballers who haven't been managed well. The stuff with Folau is an entirely different PR look for the ARU and one that's completely untenable for them in today's world. By making the statements he has made, Folau has put the ARU between a rock and a hard place in a way that they haven't been near since the Beale incident. He's proven himself to be a massive liability to the already struggling public image of the ARU.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Ioane got in a bust up in a pub or something in Melbourne back in 2013 (although the owner may have been prejudiced).

Reg do you remember?

S

sidelineview

The weird thing is that, at heart, Christianity is supposed to be based on love. If Izzy really wanted to "save souls" he would have done a lot better to concentrate on the positive, not the negative, aspects of his faith.

Does he really think that hitting people over the head is the best way to bring them to seeking forgiveness?

He admitted his post was harsh. He could have chosen his words more carefully seeing as it was inevitable it would hit the headlines and be read by people in the ''outside world'' other than his peers at Church and followers on social media.
However, there's no way he could have labelled homosexuals as ''sinners'' and escaped scrutiny, no matter how nice he was about it.

But his infamous post wasnt just restricted to whats been advertised. The accompanying text to his instagram post is:

Those that are living in Sin will end up in Hell unless you repent. Jesus Christ loves you and is giving you time to turn away from your sin and come to him.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these , adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21 KJV

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38 KJV

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Acts 17:30 KJV

And the bottom line is, he was referring to the Bible and airing his religious views. He didnt make it up himself.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
47,852 likes on Izzy's instagram page now. What to make of that eh Raelene?

Hah, I've never actually looked at Folau's Insta before now.

What a dump.

And the bottom line is, he was referring to the Bible and airing his religious views. He didnt make it up himself.

So you'd feel the same if Sonny Bill started Tweeting about his religion's views on women? I mean, he didn't make them up himself, after all.

Surah 4:34

Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

It's honestly a bit disheartening seeing another Western nation still choking on their own religious vomit like the USA is so good at doing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

All had more than a few chances/code of conduct breaches.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I also must have missed where any of these guys repeatedly and publicly condemned a minority group to eternal suffering.

Bit of an apples and oranges situation on several levels - closest thing would be the incident with Beale a few years ago and even then, no bigotry in play there.

The breaches with other players were not out of the realm of what you would expect from career footballers who haven't been managed well. The stuff with Folau is an entirely different PR look for the ARU and one that's completely untenable for them in today's world. By making the statements he has made, Folau has put the ARU between a rock and a hard place in a way that they haven't been near since the Beale incident. He's proven himself to be a massive liability to the already struggling public image of the ARU.

We were talking code of conduct breaches not PR.

You're first sentence is a misrepresentation of events.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

What a dump.

So you'd feel the same if Sonny Bill started Tweeting about his religion's views on women? I mean, he didn't make them up himself, after all.

Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

It's honestly a bit disheartening seeing another Western nation still choking on their own religious vomit like the USA is so good at doing.

You realise that you've done exactly what Folau did? - you've posted a quotation from a Holy Book. And you probably have more chance of reaching people likely to be offended by that quote than Folau did as from what I gather his followers are by and large religious people who would agree with his views.

But getting back to what I think your point is. SBW would be perfectly entitled to post the above (as are you) and if people disagree then they respond with reasoned argument as to why they disagree and why the contents of the quotation aren't appropriate in a secular democracy, as opposed to hysterical and emotional outbursts.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You realise that you've done exactly what Folau did? - you've posted a quotation from a Holy Book. And you probably have more chance of reaching people likely to be offended by that quote than Folau did as from what I gather his followers are by and large religious people who would agree with his views.

But getting back to what I think your point is. SBW would be perfectly entitled to post the above (as are you) and if people disagree then they respond with reasoned argument as to why they disagree and why the contents of the quotation aren't appropriate in a secular democracy, as opposed to hysterical and emotional outbursts.

You still don't get it do you QH. Izzy is absolutely entitled to post whatever he wants, and noone at RA is telling him different, what they saying he not entitled to get paid a million a year from them if he does. See everyone has rights, Izzy to post whatever divisive religious nonsense he wants, and RA to pay the said person a huge salary while they think he not helping tp enhance the sport.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
the code of conduct includes religious discrimination, is RA in breach of it's own code discriminating against Folau?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
the code of conduct includes religious discrimination, is RA in breach of it's own code discriminating against Folau?

Where is the religious discrimination, all I have heard RA or anyone say, he is entitled to believe whatever he wants, just not post about them on social media!

Ok I admit it good friday and I bored to buggery , otherwise I wouldn't even bother as I know it been done to death!:confused::)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The only way to ensure that there is no discrimination against any and all religions would be to ban all religious content. I can guarantee that any statement from the perspective of one religion would be anathema to the adherents of one or more other religion(s).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Where is the religious discrimination, all I have heard RA or anyone say, he is entitled to believe whatever he wants, just not post about them on social media!

I dunno, just a thought over coffee, I guess limiting his rights to religious expression?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m happy that Folau is allowed to say what he wants, it doesn’t mean there won’t be consequences for what he says though.

I’m also happy that people are allowed to criticise what Folau has said and object to his view, and for those people, it doesn’t mean there won’t be consequences either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All had more than a few chances/code of conduct breaches.

And I've outlined the reasons above.........

In one case the player was given the boot..........

In another did receive a code of conduct hearing.................

And in two case there weren't more than a "few chances/code of conduct breaches."

S

sidelineview

Wow, EverytimeI read this thread (because it's my job) it's the same stuff over and over again. Aren't you guys bored yet?

I dont think the additional text to Folau's post had been mentioned before.

S

sidelineview

What a dump.

No mention of homosexuals there. That's the controversial subject.

The above text is about women but get a load of the list of sinners and sins in Izzy's post and accompanying text. He doesnt miss too many.
At least he was being inclusive.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wow, EverytimeI read this thread (because it's my job) it's the same stuff over and over again. Aren't you guys bored yet?

Hell yeah Sully, but man it's Good Friday and nothing better to do!! It's ok we'll have some rugby this afternoon and I won't be bored enough to come into this thread again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.