• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Often in forums you see Rugby League supporters getting upset when Rugby Union is called rugby. The argument is that Rugby Union shouldn't be able to use the word exclusively. They hate the IRB changed to World Rugby. In light of that I find it interesting that the NRL's own website refers to Rugby Union as Rugby
image.jpg

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Often in forums you see Rugby League supporters getting upset when Rugby Union is called rugby. The argument is that Rugby Union shouldn't be able to use the word exclusively. They hate the IRB changed to World Rugby. In light of that I find it interesting that the NRL's own website refers to Rugby Union as RugbyView attachment 7252

Personally, I have no issue with rugby union being called rugby.

Same with people from the north of england calling league rugby. TBH speaking shorthand I generally refer to league as footy, union as rugby and football as soccer. :p

The bigger issue in respect of rugby is if in nations with limited rugby union or rugby league, people try and start playing rugby league but get stopped by the tin pot nations because they aren't registered under the rugby union system. I think thats where some trouble lies. And usually its at the behest of the rugby union administrators, for whatever reason don't want a rugby league comp being played.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
well, I must admit I was wrong basically. The little I have seen from the league media does not bear out my suspicions. For sure, in comments and such many of the league supporters had a go at us ('too cold in the backline', ''waltzed into another code, made the national team after a year, got bored, came back to the better/harder game') and if truth be told in many cases that was after badgering from rugby supporters, but from what I have seen the media itself has not gone too far down that road.

I think they are simply genuinely happy he is back!

So, for now, 'mental apologies' to the league media for being so cynical.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Terry, think most of the writers who would react the way you were expecting are on holidays at the moment. Give them time and they will put the boot in at the first chance when they get back.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
logically there isnt much to put the boot in about.

player leaves league to maximise his dollar, player returns to league to maximise his dollar.

It's been happening for ages, heck rugby league started through a player maximising his earnings, the story imo is no longer inflammatory as people are less and less interested in code wars and if they are its going to be AFL/NRL

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I doubt that Burgess went just for the big bucks. He said himself that he was caught up in the hype about the World Cup, and very attracted to the idea of playing in front of 80,000 at Twickenham.

If it was just about money he would not have come back. His earning potential in European rugby is greater than his earning potential in the NRL.

And, of course, rugby is a much softer game, so we are told, so his playing life would be much longer.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
the cynic in me suggests that players like to sugar coat controversial decisions with other more digestable reasons.

When really the motivating factor is cash.

Theres nothing wrong with that, its what we all do in the professional world all the time.

T

TOCC

Yep the size and glamour of the RWC definitely appeals, Andrew Johns even admitted that he almost switched after sitting in the crowd at the 2003 RWC(thankfully he didn't). Players will switch for cash, but in 50/50 scenarios players will obviously factor in their passion and the appeal to playing in a tournament of the scale of the RWC.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
there are appealing things about both codes.

but in the end I would be surprised if either of the parties didn't up their offer in a 50:50 scenario.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Would he really earn more in French rugby? I heard he's going to get $1.5 million at the Rabbits, there's no way he'd pull that in France.

For top flight players, there's plenty of cash in both games. At the very pointy end (e.g. Dan Carter) there's significantly more in union, but there aren't many players in rugby making 1.5 mil.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Terry, think most of the writers who would react the way you were expecting are on holidays at the moment. Give them time and they will put the boot in at the first chance when they get back.

Fully expecting to see Burgess on Ep 1 of the Footy Show next year being fed questions that allow him, in the words of Peter Fitz, to piss on the jersey that fed him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fully expecting to see Burgess on Ep 1 of the Footy Show next year being fed questions that allow him, in the words of Peter Fitz, to piss on the jersey that fed him.

Or that thing they did with $BW when he came back in his first game: have him appear on screen with his thoughts about his first tackle, first hit-up, first minutes back in the NRL.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
The NRL are always going to make maximum leverage of these situations.

The wallabies certainly try to with folau.

Every business should. TBH I agree with fitz article to an extent, burgess shouldnt be whinging, but on the same token neither should the bath coach.

And on to be fair to both of them, they both said a lot of good things about eachother but the media pulls out any of the negative. Which is a pity, because it is what has lead to players saying the same things over and over again these days because the media just crucify any negative quote.

As much as warner was a douchebag for punching the root, he was much more entertaining pre media training then post.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
. TBH I agree with fitz article to an extent, burgess shouldnt be whinging, but on the same token neither should the bath coach.

Hate to agree with Fitzsimoins so I will just agree with you.
But as for the coach if what he is actually saying is "look we carried you in the top grade because we thought you were a long term proposition" then i think he has a right to be pissed off.
And if Burgess can't see that he was being carried (certainly at test level - haven't seen him for Bath - other than another high tackle over the sideline) then he never would have made it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Modern rugby league is rapidly following American football where everything is determined by coaches who draw up pre-ordained plays after consulting the statisticians. "Completed tackle count", "plays down opponents' weak left side", "metres gained 40/20 kicks on fifth tackle", etc. I see very little imagination by skilful players who are prepared to do something different after sizing up a situation and taking the initiative. What about trying a 40/20 early in the tackle count when all the opposing players are up in the defensive line? But the biggest trend in modern rugby league is the elimination of anything risky, a la NFL. Just last year there was a seminar on modern RL trends, they were concerned about the falling number of passes per match. Can't have passes, someone might drop the ball! Passes used to be commonplace in American football (there's still the odd pass in college football) but it's been eliminated as it was deemed too risky.

I must admit my head starts to spin when Phil Gould waxes eloquent about a brilliant bit of play where blokes standing around (I still can't tell backs and forwards apart in RL, other than scrums) perform some chess-like strategy. I just don't see it. That last Cowboys try in the GF looked suspiciously like the defenders couldn't count. And there're fewer of them to count than in rugby...

I actually think the NRL is becoming more like touch football, game plan wise (we used to call RL, Tongan touch football) fast play the balls and direct running until you get in the red zone

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
League has always used one out hit ups to get go forward.
It couldn't be less like touch once they get in the red zone.
All teams are now setting up for a play that involves a kick of some sort,because they have had ball playing instincts coached out of them.

A quote from Trent Barret in the Manly Daily today...
"I do want all our forwards to be able to pass the ball"

says it all about their development programs.....

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
League has always used one out hit ups to get go forward.
It couldn't be less like touch once they get in the red zone.
All teams are now setting up for a play that involves a kick of some sort,because they have had ball playing instincts coached out of them.

A quote from Trent Barret in the Manly Daily today.
"I do want all our forwards to be able to pass the ball"

says it all about their development programs...
Theres a joke to be made here about coaches, risk management, James Slipper and world cup quarter finals. I just can't quite make it work.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.