• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
"We want the best Pacific Island players"
"So..... you'll be based in the Pacific Islands?
"No, we'll be based in Auckland, New Zealand."
"And how will you pay these players?
"With money from New Zealand"
"So these players who are usually born in NZ and have lived in NZ all their lives can still play for the All Blacks?"
"No, that is poaching. We want them to play for Tonga, Samoa etc."
"And how will they get paid for doing that?"
"They won't."

220px-Moana_Pasifika_logo.jpg

Sorry to steal your first message Dr W.F.T Blundershart III, but going to track the squad list here
:

Coaching Team:
Aaron Mauger - Head Coach

Hooker:
Ray Niuia
Luteru Tolai

Prop:
Sekope Kepu
Joe Apikotoa
Tau Koloamatangi
Ezekiel Lindenmuth
Isi Tu'ungafasi

Lock:
Mike McKee
Don Lolo
Veikoso Poloniati
Alex McRobbie

Backrow:
Sione Tu’ipulotu
Solomone Funaki
Lotu Inisi
Jack Lam
Henry Time-Stowers
Alamanda Motuga
Penitoa Finau
Samuel Slade

Scrumhalf:
Ereatara Enari
Jonathan Taumateine

Flyhalf:
Christian Lealiifano
Lincolm McClutchie

Centre:
Henry Taefu
Fine Inisi
Levi Auma
Danny Toala

Wing:
Neria Fomai (also centre)
Tomasi Alosio
Solomone Kata
Timoci Tavatavanawai
Anzelo Tuitavuki

Fullback:
Lolagi Visinia
Danny Toala (or centre)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

This is all getting a bit...... odd.

Up to 3 AB's? Without wanting to wade into a racial shitfight, what does MP (Moana Pasifika) do if some awesome non-PI wants to play for them?

"Sorry, brothers only".

Dragged up before the courts as discriminating against someone's rights to seek employment due to skin colour? OH SHIT.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

This is all getting a bit.. odd.

Up to 3 AB's? Without wanting to wade into a racial shitfight, what does MP (Moana Pasifika) do if some awesome non-PI wants to play for them?

"Sorry, brothers only".

Dragged up before the courts as discriminating against someone's rights to seek employment due to skin colour? OH SHIT.
Yeah dunno shit about NZ but in Aus that would be textbook racial discrimination by the employer.

They could always just cook up an excuse not to employ them though.

edit: Maybe they tie it to eligibility rather than race. So, to play for MP (Moana Pasifika) you must be eligible for Samoa? that's probably not discriminatory. That's how current Super Rugby sides operate.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To play for an existing NZ franchise you have to be either AB-eligible or qualify for one of up to three places per team available to players who are PI-eligible and/ or foreign-born but potentially AB-eligible by residency (e.g. Michael Ala'alatoa). There's also a Marquee Player contract available (e.g. Pablo Matera & Blues legend Michael Collins ;)).

I don't see any reason why MP (Moana Pasifika) can't stipulate that "x minus three" contracts are reserved for potential Samoan or Tongan international players while holding up to three open for whomsoever they choose: you don't apply for a pro sports contract on TradeMe or Seek, it's offered to you because someone has seen you play & thinks you'd be an asset to the team & as such I think they're free to offer those contracts as they see fit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm really unconvinced by the Moana Pasifika model, unfortunately.
I think they (and Drua) will struggle for a year or 2, and probably one of the things that will be hard for both teams is maybe the discrimination they will get from fans, even among a few of us in here we are getting comments about brown skin and perhaps white people can't lay for them etc. If they struggle (which I believe they will for a few years anyone remember Rebels and Force when they started), I strongly suspect the comments will come out about the Islander's ability to run things etc. I hope not, but...........

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think they (and Drua) will struggle for a year or 2, and probably one of the things that will be hard for both teams is maybe the discrimination they will get from fans, even among a few of us in here we are getting comments about brown skin and perhaps white people can't lay for them etc. If they struggle (which I believe they will for a few years anyone remember Rebels and Force when they started), I strongly suspect the comments will come out about the Islander's ability to run things etc. I hope not, but.....
Look at the racist shit Pat Lam had to face just being a Samoan HC.

That one still hurts - I wish we could nab him back to the Blues.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Look at the racist shit Pat Lam had to face just being a Samoan HC.

That one still hurts - I wish we could nab him back to the Blues.
Yep it's a fact of life, whether we like it or not, a fair few people will find any difference to themself to point out someone else is wrong and so shouldn't or couldn't do things as well as they imagine it should be done. It's a sad fact of the world we live in and has been the same for as long as I been around, though hopefully slowly improving.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Out of interest, anywhere to get a copy of the Moana Pasifika Governance structure?

Im wondering how many NZRU appointments are on the Moana Pasifika Board? How does this compare to the number of Tongan and Samoan rugby appointments, if any?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I not aware of any NZR appointments on MP (Moana Pasifika) board (but that not to say there not). I actually thought it was set up (with NZR help) by a group from Auckland (Iceman-BG etc) with conversations with Tonga and Samoa RUs. I see Toutai Kefu said he has been talking to Aaron Mauger for a while about Tongan players he suggests would be good for the team etc. Was pleased to hear that and assume the same with Samoan coaches is happening.
But like you I have never seen or really looked for governance structure for them.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
"We want the best Pacific Island players"
"So... you'll be based in the Pacific Islands?
"No, we'll be based in Auckland, New Zealand."
"And how will you pay these players?
"With money from New Zealand"
"So these players who are usually born in NZ and have lived in NZ all their lives can still play for the All Blacks?"
"No, that is poaching. We want them to play for Tonga, Samoa etc."
"And how will they get paid for doing that?"
"They won't."

220px-Moana_Pasifika_logo.jpg
Yep when someone works out how players residing in nz will choose to play for Tonga or Samoa for didly squat CD mega bucks (comparatively) playing for ABs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep when someone works out how players residing in nz will choose to play for Tonga or Samoa for didly squat CD mega bucks (comparatively) playing for ABs.
That's all very well RN, but you do know that in last few WC's a good percentage of players for Samoa and Tonga did play in NZ didn't you?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's all very well RN, but you do know that in last few WC's a good percentage of players for Samoa and Tonga did play in NZ didn't you?
Aware but most I understand are players that would not otherwise make the ABS team eg 3AAAs brother Michael etc. so yes players who would not make ABs will of course play for Samoa and Tonga. So in a way nz benefit from those who could make ABs being eligible and those that don’t playing for Samoa and Tonga. The sceptic in me is this is as much providing benefit to nz and all blacks as much as Samoa and Tonga. But maybe this is of course better then nothing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Aware but most I understand are players that would not otherwise make the ABS team eg 3AAAs brother Michael etc. so yes players who would not make ABs will of course play for Samoa and Tonga. So in a way nz benefit from those who could make ABs being eligible and those that don’t playing for Samoa and Tonga. The sceptic in me is this is as much providing benefit to nz and all blacks as much as Samoa and Tonga. But maybe this is of course better then nothing.
Of course silly me, of course NZR done all this work on MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua just so they would get more ABs.
I forgot just how evil they are . :rolleyes:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course silly me, of course NZR done all this work on MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua just so they would get more ABs.
I forgot just how evil they are . :rolleyes:

What I find amusing is that for years now people on here have been saying NZR should put out more teams and/ or share their players with the RA teams to Level the playing field, but as soon as they add a team (technically two as I believe they also hold Drua's licence) it gets cast as a cunning plan to increase the AB selection base.