• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm thinking on a slightly broader timescale than the immediate future.

You know, when young players are coming through and making decisions etc.

MP (Moana Pasifika) have even less chance of being competitive on a short time scale than they do a medium one.
Fair enough, I know I tend to be a glass half full man, and look at why I think things will work, others perhaps look at why they won't.
Just a differnce in philosophies is all.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Why things aren't working is important to acknowledge when you have decades of decline..
Thats my philosophy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fair enough, I know I tend to be a glass half full man, and look at why I think things will work, others perhaps look at why they won't.
Just a differnce in philosophies is all.
That's fair enough and pretty easy from an NZ perspective.

From our perspective fuck all is working so its a little harder to be positive.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I regards to the US & Japanese involvement if think it is more likely in the form of a Champions league type set up involving MLR & Top League, potentially down the track also SLAR.
That's the only way I really want to see it anytime soon. Anything else just starts to walk down the same path that was dragging super rugby down previously.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I regards to the US & Japanese involvement if think it is more likely in the form of a Champions league type set up involving MLR & Top League, potentially down the track also SLAR.
Indeed.
  • Japan don't need to be playing regular season soup. They're running their own show.
  • US and Sudamerica is too far away for soup - same reason Robinson told the saffas and hags to nick orf.
A short format (e.g. Champions League) is the only realistic option (which been said in this place for nigh on 5 years).

So, separate regions with separate comps.

Australia can have its own comp.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think there'd be much, if any time for a champions league, and I doubt there'd be much interest in it.

I think a more interesting addition to the calendar would be a new international series between Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Australia A and the Maori All Blacks at the same time as the Rugby Championship. Japan could be included too, but I'd prefer if they were added to the Rugby Championship itself.

With the Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) in Super Rugby (and the Japanese and MLR seasons aligned on the calendar) the island nations should be able to field decent teams during this window, even if they didn't have access to most of their European pros.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think there'd be much, if any time for a champions league, and I doubt there'd be much interest in it.

I think a more interesting addition to the calendar would be a new international series between Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Australia A and the Maori All Blacks at the same time as the Rugby Championship. Japan could be included too, but I'd prefer if they were added to the Rugby Championship itself.

With the Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) in Super Rugby (and the Japanese and MLR seasons aligned on the calendar) the island nations should be able to field decent teams during this window, even if they didn't have access to most of their European pros.
Like that a lot Omar,would make so much sense, and I believe if USA and Canada were added even better!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Would be good preparation for Fiji and Japan joining the Rugby championship and could then serve as a 2nd tier, potentially with promotion/relegation down the track.
Yep I like that idea so much Wilson, almost a dream scenario, a RC and Pacific cup with promotion relegation would be so bloody good, create a whole new level of interest in the game.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Moana Pasifika locked into Mt Smart Stadium for 7 years (2022-2028 inclusive):

Mt Smart makes sense given the absence of the Warriors and a proper stadium deal will offer some stability, but 7 years is a bloody long time for a team that should eventually be based out of Samoa/Tonga. Hopefully the contract only locks up a fraction of their home games going forward and they can take an increasing number of games to the islands as things settle down.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Moana Pasifika locked into Mt Smart Stadium for 7 years (2022-2028 inclusive):

Mt Smart makes sense given the absence of the Warriors and a proper stadium deal will offer some stability, but 7 years is a bloody long time for a team that should eventually be based out of Samoa/Tonga. Hopefully the contract only locks up a fraction of their home games going forward and they can take an increasing number of games to the islands as things settle down.

Yeah agreed Mt Smart makes sense but it seems like a long time for a team supposed to represent the Pasifika. I hope they haven‘t contracted 100% of the games over the next 7 years, they should have at least aimed to take a few matches to Samoa and Tonga each year from 2023.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
they should have at least aimed to take a few matches to Samoa and Tonga each year from 2023.
That'll happen but I also don't think MP (Moana Pasifika) will ever be 100% based in the islands. Putting it bluntly, they're an NZ-backed team.

Drua, on the other hand, have a better chance of doing so post-COVID.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That'll happen but I also don't think MP (Moana Pasifika) will ever be 100% based in the islands. Putting it bluntly, they're an NZ-backed team.

Apparently Fiji now has a higher tax rate than Australia.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

MP (Moana Pasifika) omly need Samoa or Tonga to get a decent stadium to be based there. It will happen, might take sometime, but don't try and just rubbish it because it based in NZ to start with.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Tax or Vax?

Higher tax rate would discourage players from returning home...

Thanks Bandar - one of those bloody auto-correct things that I missed. Fiji has a higher vaccination rate than Australia based on an ABC Tax-Stats review I watched yesterday. It's pretty important if correct as previously we had been told that Fiji was in trouble.

Wrong thread as it turns out, soz.

Haha, Edit! not Tax-stats, Vax-stats

Last edited:

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks Bandar - one of those bloody auto-correct things that I missed. Fiji has a higher vaccination rate than Australia based on an ABC Tax-Stats review I watched yesterday. It's pretty important if correct as previously we had been told that Fiji was in trouble.

Wrong thread as it turns out, soz.
All good, not relating to MP (Moana Pasifika) at all but I believe the Fijian government mandated vaccination for all their (government) workers then upgraded to say you can not hold any job (public or private sector) if not vaccinated.

Looks like it had the desired effect.