• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah agreed Mt Smart makes sense but it seems like a long time for a team supposed to represent the Pasifika. I hope they haven‘t contracted 100% of the games over the next 7 years, they should have at least aimed to take a few matches to Samoa and Tonga each year from 2023.
South Auckland is the largest pacific island/polynesian city in the world so in that sense it's a no-brainer. However, like you I hope that we start getting to see more games in the islands in the future.

For the player contribution the pacific islands brings to world rugby, it would be the least we could do.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think it's almost a given that there will be some attempt to take games to the islands as soon as, I know the facilities are probably not up to scratch, especially in Tonga, but hopefully something can be sorted.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it's almost a given that there will be some attempt to take games to the islands as soon as, I know the facilities are probably not up to scratch, especially in Tonga, but hopefully something can be sorted.
I imagine another reason to support MP (Moana Pasifika) being based out of Auckland is the fact corruption and governance been a shambolic issue with Samoa and tonga rugby

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ you're right R39 but there's cause for hope: Samoa has a new PM who isn't also Chairman of the RU & she doesn't seem to have put close relatives into positions they're clearly not qualified to hold. Perfect time for WR (World Rugby) to grow some & insist on a thorough governance audit & revamp.

Tonga's situation is complicated by them having in effect an absolute monarch backed by a very powerful church but that, too, shows signs of being challenged by the younger generations of Tongans who've experienced life in the outside World either directly or via the internet & social media.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
^ you're right R39 but there's cause for hope: Samoa has a new PM who isn't also Chairman of the RU & she doesn't seem to have put close relatives into positions they're clearly not qualified to hold. Perfect time for WR (World Rugby) to grow some & insist on a thorough governance audit & revamp.

Tonga's situation is complicated by them having in effect an absolute monarch backed by a very powerful church but that, too, shows signs of being challenged by the younger generations of Tongans who've experienced life in the outside World either directly or via the internet & social media.
Yes Samoa had a bit of clean up governance wise but not sure about Tonga

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ was a bit of chat a few months back when he signed for Counties-Manukau but I haven't seen or heard anything since. Would be a good signing, tho, even if he's the guy who comes on with 25-30 to go - great mentor for the younger guys & potentially a player/ scrum coach scenario.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Be interesting if Luatua did come back, he originally said he wanted to return and get to 100 Blues games when he finished in England.
Would love it if he did come back for MP (Moana Pasifika) though!!!