• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The ranting at Deans/ARU/O'Neill/Players thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Read the Zavos article. Fancy comparing the comments made about a rugby coach to the legitimacy of the US President. At least he didn't go on about who he recently spoke to. If this is what's left of Fairfax's rugby coverage (together with Burke) after the staff clean out, then they may as well give up.

We need an answer, we can't sit around waiting for Sir Ritchie to retire.

Like Reds Tragic, it reminds me of the domination of the Australian cricket team from 1989 to mid 2000s over the English in the Ashes. The English took a while but they worked out what needed to be done and implemented the systems and picked the players that would end their Ashes drought in 2005.

So it shits me to hear the excuses that the ABs are just too good. Rather than excuses, consider why are they so good and what can Australian rugby to emulate their success. The Wallabies may not get there, but it sure beats what's happening now. If the current administration, coaches and players are unwilling or unable to do this, then it's time to leave.

I look forward to the day, that the ARU joins the AFL and NRL in having an independent commission.

As far waiting for the current AB crop to retire, well the next lot look pretty good as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Read the Zavos article. Fancy comparing the comments made about a rugby coach to the legitimacy of the US President. At least he didn't go on about who he recently spoke to. If this is what's left of Fairfax's rugby coverage (together with Burke) after the staff clean out, then they may as well give up.

It reminds me of the domination of the Australian cricket team from 1989 to mid 2000s over the English in the Ashes. The English took a while but they worked out what needed to be done and implemented the systems and picked the players that would end their Ashes drought in 2005.

So it shits me to hear the excuses that the ABs are just too good. Rather than excuses, consider why are they so good and what can Australian rugby to emulate their success. The Wallabies may not get there, but it sure beats what's happening now. If the current administration, coaches and players are unwilling or unable to do this, then it's time to leave.

I look forward to the day, that the ARU joins the AFL and NRL in having an independent commission.

As far waiting for the current AB crop to retire, well the next lot look pretty good as well.
Indeed, waiting for the All Blacks to become poor will be a long and fruitless wait. Champions like McCaw and Carter might go, but they will be ably enough replaced.
Destiny or karma isn't going to give us parity.
Given the poor sub-structures and playing numbers for rugby in this country (relatively), we will be fighting from a somewhat lower base than the Kiwis. Unless the ARU and state unions move to rectify some of the problems. We can only hope, but it won't happen until there is massive upheaval starting at the top.
There will be enough decent players regardless of this, that we should be better. I hold no illusions that we will dominate the ABs for anything but short periods now and then.
But we need to understand and learn from the "enemy". Sub-specialty skills programs (scrum schools and so on), overhaul of dated S&C programs and the like are good places to start.

P

Paradox

The funniest thing about the Spiro article is that the bloke who was the biggest cvnt to Deans was another Kiwi and the All Black coach.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Bit like asking league in NZ to kill rugby. Tell 'im he's dreamin'. AFL and loigue here are much bigger than rugby. Sad reality.
I know mate. But... what rugby Australia is needs is a)more cowbell, and b) a saleable Test>Super>Province>Club>School set up. There's more money in Rugby internationally, so the choice should be "Hey kids, wanna be a wealthy Internationally recognised rugby head or a rich loigue goldfish?"

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Why Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has to go
  • by: Andrew Slack
  • I AM not a fan of knee-jerk reactions or firing coaches mid-term. Both reek of panic, and panic solves nothing.
The calls for Robbie Deans' sacking after last week's defeat in Auckland were inevitable, predictable and sad, and in the immediate aftermath, I was convinced there wasn't much to be gained by listening to the howling wolves.
My thinking changed when Deans' appraisal of the match appeared.
His public comments went along the lines of the All Blacks simply being too good, and every other team, Wallabies included, will generally be playing for second when they play the world champions. God forbid he said that to the team behind closed doors. Defeat is one thing, hoisting the white flag is another. Personnel won't change vastly for either the All Blacks or Wallabies before they next meet here in Brisbane next month.

If Deans still has the job, what will his plea be to the players as they prepare?
"C'mon fellas, as I've already stated and you've most likely read, the boys in black are obviously much better than you lot.
"Try and stay within 20 points will you?"
He also chose to praise his team's defensive effort. In the light of not much else going right, it was probably an understandable tack. The Wallabies were gritty and gutsy, but so they damn well should be. They are Test rugby players. Does an English professor get kudos because he's a good speller? It's part of the job.
The worry is there are too many areas within the job description of a Wallaby player where performance hasn't met expectation.
Coaching at this level must be about getting more out of players than solid basics, and not even those basics have been up to scratch.
Perhaps the Wallabies created a rod for their own back by their outstanding performance at Suncorp Stadium last year when they dusted the All Blacks in a superb display of rugby. They showed they can do the business, but rather than being a springboard, it was the summit.
Currently, they look miles below base camp.
A respected former Wallaby star said this after last week's match. "We could try something like play the game wider, clear the ball more quickly from breakdowns, get running forwards to drop their body height by about a foot, kick the ball to open space, or heaven forbid, kick for field position . . . at least that would be something different! Easy from here, but we looked in compete disarray at times, which indicates a confidence lost."
Confidence lost - too true.
Deans' greatest failing has been his poor and inconsistent selections. If there is a policy, it changes from week to week, and players must be confused.
Quade Cooper wasn't picked in game one because he hadn't played enough within the team structure, and yet a week later, there are four positional changes in the backline.
The chosen starting hooker for the All Blacks game, Tatafu Polota-Nau, announced on the Thursday that he wasn't fit enough to be there from kick-off, but might be OK to come off the bench. Team management were happy to accommodate him. Surely they were joking.
Maybe not, because Cooper's performance at a media conference that same day was not only a blight on the player himself, but also team management and the code's administration at the very top.
He was put in front of the media, but chose to give a 10-second statement, put the microphone on the ground in front of the assembled throng, walked away and refused to answer a single question.
For all the media's shortcomings, they are the gateway to the fans, and rugby is hardly in a position to be firing the bird at the public.
Cooper and others can be prolific Twitter users and that is condoned because players are "engaging with fans".
I'll tell you how to properly and permanently engage with fans. Chuck your phones down the toilet and play some decent rugby.
Let's not start on the Wallaby players laughing with their All Black opponents immediately after the Eden Park hiding.
At the time I was sitting beside a competitive, feisty little chap named George Gregan. The smoke coming out of his ears set off the fire alarms.
Deans, and by extension, ARU boss John O'Neill, have been in charge of this litany of shortcomings. O'Neill's pass mark for the Wallabies' third place in last year's Rugby World Cup was as naive as my belief coaches shouldn't be sacked mid-term.
Australia didn't fire a shot in that tournament and that nobody in charge was prepared to admit as much sets mediocrity as a standard Australian rugby seems satisfied with.
In the past fortnight, even mediocrity has seemed some distance away. Without vast and rapid improvement, someone will definitely pay.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-deans-has-to-go/story-e6freon6-1226463233852

Even Andrew Slack has given up on him!

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
No no, you'll come right with Robbie's help. Keep the faith.

schadenfreude.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.