• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The reason JOC (James O'Connor) was absent from the RWC squad announcement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The anger probably stems from O'Connor's mightier than thou attitude this year. His performance on the field was excellent during the super rugby season but has been below his best since. The whole debacle that followed his exit from the Force lost him a lot of friends - for instance, "My rugby brand". Well, if he was out on the piss before a major team announcement and failed to make it he certainly hasn't done his "brand" any favours.

RS, I defended O'Connor over the Force departure process. Seeing this latest incident, I wish I had not. This non-attendance at a very prominent team function and for which no legitimate excuse has emerged, is a vain insult to all of his team, the Wallaby fans, the ARU, and QANTAS being a major contributor to his personal income.

A big, nasty lesson needs to be dished out here or this immature ego will spiral out of control into a version of the 'I'm bigger than the team' syndrome.

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would imagine that QANTAS would not be happy; one of the most high profile players in the game not turning up for their, no doubt, costly promotion of their sponsorship of the team. A few months ago, JO'C was talking about his 'brand' and making an idiot of himself in the process, well QANTAS have spent millions promoting the Wallabies brand and will surely be very disappointed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
RS, I defended O'Connor over the Force departure process. Seeing this latest incident, I wish I had not. This non-attendance at a very prominent team function and for which no legitimate excuse has emerged, is a vain insult to all of his team, the Wallaby fans, the ARU, and QANTAS being a major contributor to his personal income.

A big, nasty lesson needs to be dished out here or this immature ego will spiral out of control into a version of the 'I'm bigger than the team' syndrome.
Well, I think mainly to his team mates. I wouldn't tag him as being "bigger than the team" just yet, although all the hoo-haa around his signing was a bit much on someone's part (? manager, ? father, ? bit of all of them). I think it is a bit of a slap in the face to his team, and more so to those who just missed out on selection and would be gutted. Matt Hodgson, Beau, Turner etc..
He's young, going out and having a few with mates is fine. But it really baffles me that you would miss such an event, which was not sprung on him by the way.

A

antipodean

The only thing Bieber should be embarrassed by is his weakness in not turning up the next day. There was a time when ruby payers drank and no one cared, much.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A lot of bitterness on this thread. I hope that many of you aren't managers! Maybe he did the wrong thing, maybe not. Maybe he had a reason, maybe not. We'll find out. Whatever happens, someone sensible will decide based on what is best for him, the team and the campaign, and I'm sure there will be no frothing references to O'Connor's brand or hair.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Twitter made him get pissed?

(would certainly explain what's been happening to me lately)

No but his fuckadaisical attitude that comes to the fore through twitter might have something to do with it.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
I would imagine that QANTAS would not be happy; one of the most high profile players in the game not turning up for their, no doubt, costly promotion of their sponsorship of the team. A few months ago, JO'C was talking about his 'brand' and making an idiot of himself in the process, well QANTAS have spent millions promoting the Wallabies brand and will surely be very disappointed.

QANTARSE have done pretty well trashing their brand themselves.

Who fucken cares really. So he missed a photo shoot because he was pissed. Get over it. If he'd missed training or got pissed before a game then kick his arse, but surely this doesn't warrant a media beat-up and worse, real rugby fans on GAGR getting all wound up. Fine him $5000 and get on with it.

T

Tireless Backrower

A lot of bitterness on this thread. I hope that many of you aren't managers! Maybe he did the wrong thing, maybe not. Maybe he had a reason, maybe not. We'll find out. Whatever happens, someone sensible will decide based on what is best for him, the team and the campaign, and I'm sure there will be no frothing references to O'Connor's brand or hair.

And where are they going to get someone sensible?

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
His performance on the field was excellent during the super rugby season but has been below his best since.

That could be due to going from Super Rugby to International Rugby. They're not exactly the same thing. And IMHO he's played well - his goal kicking has been crap - but otherwise . . .

G

Geeves

Well JOC (James O'Connor) might have shot himself in the foot and probably without thinking too far ahead. Lets examine just how secure his position is in the wallabies. So far this season for the wallabies he has played only on the wing and has been the first choice goal kicker.

To be brutally honest his goal kicking has not been adequate so far. As Ioane can break the line with aplomb and his defensive covering he is always going to be selected on one wing. It means that with the return of Mitchell, JOC (James O'Connor) may suddenly find himself needing to make sure of all his kicks to keep him in the starting line-up. By potentially gifting Mitchell a start against the Abs, JOC (James O'Connor) may suddenly find himself riding the pine and manicuring his brand especially if the reserve kicker nails them all.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Barnes to the bench
Fainga'a to 12
McCabe to the wing (you could even use him to defend the 10 channel instead of Digby)
JOC (James O'Connor) to Canada game (you'd expect some goalkicking practice in that game)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Does JOC (James O'Connor) have history for this ala Tiquiri? No doubt it was unprofessional and he did not meet his contractual requirements and will get breached for this, but everyone deserves a mistake or two in their professional life as long as it does impact on the health and wellbeing of others. So many here have not learnt from the lessons of the response to QC (Quade Cooper)'s and KB (Kurtley Beale)'s incidents. I expect him to miss a game and be formally warned but that is it. Give the hysteria a rest people. Perhaps the first time I have ever agreed with Groucho, a reasoned sensible decision will be made about this.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Does JOC (James O'Connor) have history for this ala Tiquiri? No doubt it was unprofessional and he did not meet his contractual requirements and will get breached for this, but everyone deserves a mistake or two in their professional life as long as it does impact on the health and wellbeing of others. So many here have not learnt from the lessons of the response to QC (Quade Cooper)'s and KB (Kurtley Beale)'s incidents. I expect him to miss a game and be formally warned but that is it. Give the hysteria a rest people. Perhaps the first time I have ever agreed with Groucho, a reasoned sensible decision will be made about this.

Yes, arrested on the Gold Coast in 2008, fined for damages to a room during a "food fight" in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.