• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The reason JOC (James O'Connor) was absent from the RWC squad announcement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
... he was out on the piss the night before. ALLEGEDLY.

According to the Roar.

James O’Connor was the only absentee from Thursday’s Wallabies Rugby World Cup squad announcement. The official line was that he was absent due to personal reasons. He hasn’t yet explained his whereabouts to the ARU.

The Roar understands that on the evening of the most important moment this year in the lead-up to the Wallabies’ quest to win the Rugby World Cup, and with less than a month until the campaign begins, O’Connor was out drinking into the early hours with a fellow Wallaby.

The next morning O’Connor, we understand, could not be contacted by Wallaby team management, and despite numourous attempts to contact him, he failed to attend the team announcement.

O’Connor, we understand, has yet to explain where he was that night and why he did not turn-up with the rest of his team mates on the morning of the announcement.

He has yet to explain why he could not be contacted, despite being in a Wallaby camp.

Earlier this evening, The Roar contacted the ARU for comment.

The ARU response was that they have requested O’Connor explain his actions and, until they have received a response from O’Connor, they cannot comment further.

The Roar also understands O’Connor was drinking with a fellow Wallaby. The player in question however, who has form in this department, turned up to the event as required.

In June 2009, O’Connor, Quade Cooper and Josh Valentine were fined several thousand dollars by the ARU for “engaging in a food fight” at a Wallabies team hotel. No details were revealed by the ARU at the time, nor was it confirmed if the action were serious.

O’Connor was the youngest Super 14 debutant, at 17 years and 303 days, and at the end of the 2011 Super Rugby season O’Connor signed a two year contract with the Melbourne Rebels.

More news as we receive it.

Source: http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/08/19/james-oconnor-was-awol-from-wallabies-announcement/

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Twitter made him get pissed?

(would certainly explain what's been happening to me lately)

J

Jumpers

Nah!nah!nah! OMG James O was doing the robotic-strip-moonwalk-sidesteppin' dance audition down at me local fish and chips shop near Burke St, Melbourne! Yip I can safely say with confidence young James put on a show everyone enjoyed kickin that tee a mighty 20mtrs upfield, oh it never went over the bar!! Still I'm sorry to say OMG James O is a decent fellow even likeable and can play some rugger BUT folks listen up James will do watever it takes to steal the WC from under the ABs noses, just be aware hes half kiwi alright!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Perhaps those Roar Gossip Girls should do their country a favour and shut the fuck up on this one.

Seriously, they're not playing this weekend and I didn't even notice he wasn't there.

What a bunch of scandal chasing wankers.
But he really oughta turn up for the squad announcement? I really couldn't care less if he gets on the sauce 10 days out from a game (as you say), this was a pretty big event to which he should have shown up. I reckon.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
G

gecko

He deserves to be dropped for the next game, Fainga'a 13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing?

S

Skippy

If he was out on the turps....

What a prat. As a highly paid professional sportsman should know and do better especially with a WC just around the corner and the whole country relying on his 'trusty' boot.
He should have been out practicising his bloody goal kicking! I bet Jonny Wilkinson wouldn't be out chasing skirt, flashing the cash and showing off... because he's a true professional.
Drop the prick. And adjust his KPI's. Needs to be taught a lesson.
Not a Turner fan but I bet he's been gutted to not make the squad and worked his arse off for a chance over the last 2 months... so I'd pick him for the Bledisloe or move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing. If Beale and Cooper were out I'd drop them also.
Is it too much to ask these overpaid arrogant kids to abstain from alcohol and give 100% to their chosen profession 10 days out from a Bledisloe and few weeks from a WC.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If that is the case, i'd imagine the ARU will give him some punishment, rightly so.

It seems a bit early to discuss though, all we have is a bunch of sensationalist journalists trying to out-do each other and claim this amazing scoop...

Status
Not open for further replies.