• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The reason JOC (James O'Connor) was absent from the RWC squad announcement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
i dont know this for a fact, but its my opinion on the public sentiment.
jealously is not an issue, i have admiration for JOC (James O'Connor), his talent and sacrifice to what he has achieved so far. and no in my life i have achieved sweet fuck all to contribute to australia, i dont have the talent to do so, i wish that i could but i cant. however i believe that those who do, and those that chose to represent their country - or for that fact super15 or even club - have a responsibility not to fuck it up. no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, there is no denying that, however to disrespect the honor of being selected to represent your country, and to let down your team mates, that is not as easily forgivable. if it emerges that something more serious occurred other than being hungover and sleeping in than i admit that i am in the wrong and overstepped the mark, but as it stands o'connor showed poor character and needs to redeem himself.

Sorry mate, I shouldn't have dumped on you like that... none of us here have been there (that I know of). It was just the 'shit' bit that got my goat.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
While anyone can make mistakes (except John Eales), you have to wonder about the timing and conclude that JOC (James O'Connor) is boneheaded. Seriously, getting towelled up so bad you can't even pour yourself into a suit and sustain a vertical position for a few photographs?

While he is young, 21 is more than old enough to be responsible for consequences. To put it in another context, say you were a key team member for a business that had just secured a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and arranged for a big marketing event with the major backer. Wouldn't you expect the boss to fire you or at least make you like a f**king misery merely because you went out on the turps in celebration the very night before the event and forgot to wake up in time? Why should JOC (James O'Connor) expect anything different?

T

Tireless Backrower

WTF was Beale doing at the Bondi RSL....what is wrong with these blokes? Can't they do something that does not involve beer? Go to a movie, dinner, watch TV? Go to the Australian U19s?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
While he is young, 21 is more than old enough to be responsible for consequences. To put it in another context, say you were a key team member for a business that had just secured a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and arranged for a big marketing event with the major backer. Wouldn't you expect the boss to fire you or at least make you like a f**king misery merely because you went out on the turps in celebration the very night before the event and forgot to wake up in time? Why should JOC (James O'Connor) expect anything different?

That comparison is not really valid. If he slept in and missed a game instead of a PR event then maybe, but as it stands the event he missed is not crucial to the functioning of the team both on and off the field. It's like sleeping in and missing a meeting which plans said marketing event. Deserves a slap on the wrist, but not a scaking or major sanction.

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
no worries groucho, all in good fun.
hahaha, well apparently there was a decent band playing at the bondi rsl...maybe he was drinking lemon squash?? haha

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
That comparison is not really valid. If he slept in and missed a game instead of a PR event then maybe, but as it stands the event he missed is not crucial to the functioning of the team both on and off the field. It's like sleeping in and missing a meeting which plans said marketing event. Deserves a slap on the wrist, but not a scaking or major sanction.

If Giteau had been named in the squad and not shown up under the same circumstances as JOC (James O'Connor), the reaction would have been completely different and he would probably have already been dumped.

T

Tireless Backrower

But he's got form and this shows he still doesn't put the team ahead of himself.

Furthermore he is quoted: "‘‘I just want to apologise for letting everyone down, (I want to apologise) to my fans, my teammates and myself as well,"....apologise to yourself?
(a)its nonsensical and
(b)proves he's not prepared to step back and say that its not how it affects him that is at issue.

i can forgive (a) but this bloke sounds like he is completely up himself...despite not having yet performed in NZ at test level where, incidentally, the RWC is being conducted.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The people pontificating about business here might consider what would happen in a real business. If a vital key team member did a no-show in my company, there is no way I'd punish myself or rest of the team by taking them out of the work stream, especially for something as important as a tournament-deciding test match is. I'd make damned sure they worked, and worked well. If I was minded to issue a punishment (and, for me, punishments are exceedingly rare) then it would never be anything that interferes with the performance of the company. The usual punishment in a high-performance organisation is the reprobation of the group. If a manager's only means of control is fines and bans, they've already lost control.

T

Tireless Backrower

The people pontificating about business here might consider what would happen in a real business. If a vital key team member did a no-show in my company, there is no way I'd punish myself or rest of the team by taking them out of the work stream, especially for something as important as a tournament-deciding test match is. I'd make damned sure they worked, and worked well. If I was minded to issue a punishment (and, for me, punishments are exceedingly rare) then it would never be anything that interferes with the performance of the company. The usual punishment in a high-performance organisation is the reprobation of the group. If a manager's only means of control is fines and bans, they've already lost control.

and, i assume, you would hope that sufficient regard for the business had been instilled in your troops that if you said tomorrow's important we have to bring our A game they would respond by doing so. This would be because in working their way up from the mail room they would have been inculcated with the ethos you have imparted, through years of hard work, to those working in the business. If they hadn't shown the capacity to toe the line you drew for performance you would have omitted to promote them or sacked them. You would not find yourself in a situation in which, because one of your key employees has been allowed to get away with, by way of example, photocopying his arse for 2 years, he thinks he can skip the announcement that you've just listed on the share market 'cos he's too pissed. he would have too much regard for the business (and you)....but if he didnt he would have been taught a lesson long ago.
Or am I wrong?

P

pete88

I don't especially feel like I've been living under a rock regarding Aussie rugby, so it's fair of me to ask: where do you get this idea that JOC (James O'Connor)'s a serial offender Tireless Backrower? I know of a food fight two years ago. I'm sorry, that doesn't qualify as "having form" and that he's "been allowed to get away with, by way of example, photocopying his arse for 2 years".

Genuine quesiton, I'm half convinced I've missed a pile of stories regarding JOC (James O'Connor).

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm going to guess that the bloke feared that he would chunder if he showed. I can't imagine he's going: I've got a headache, fuck it. The bloke is driving the porcelin bus and genuinely can't make it. However, he should have called and told them.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
21 years old, and the ARU has baby sat him since he was 16...thrown money his way and good old lots of too....

Young bloke, lot of money drinking booze. Release maybe but at the wrong time, bad decision on his behalf. And off to Melbourne Rebels...... night on the piss with Danny Cipirani maybe....

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
and, i assume, you would hope that sufficient regard for the business had been instilled in your troops that if you said tomorrow's important we have to bring our A game they would respond by doing so. This would be because in working their way up from the mail room they would have been inculcated with the ethos you have imparted, through years of hard work, to those working in the business. If they hadn't shown the capacity to toe the line you drew for performance you would have omitted to promote them or sacked them. You would not find yourself in a situation in which, because one of your key employees has been allowed to get away with, by way of example, photocopying his arse for 2 years, he thinks he can skip the announcement that you've just listed on the share market 'cos he's too pissed. he would have too much regard for the business (and you)....but if he didnt he would have been taught a lesson long ago.
Or am I wrong?

So much hyperbole, Tireless Backrower! No one on my company has 'worked themselves up from the mail room'. Nor to the best of my knowledge do they photocopy their arses. I doubt any Wallaby does either. I own an ensemble business, and I try to recruit good people, in much the same way as the ARU does. 'Bashing people', which appears to be a subtext in many of your posts, is obviously the worst option. The second worst option is punishing everyone to show just how hard I am. If people don't perform, they go completely and they suffer the results in the market.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I just want to apologise: Wayward Wallaby O'Connor
Bridie Jabour
August 21, 2011 - 3:56PM
James O'Connor.

James O’Connor is prepared to cop whatever punishment he gets - even if it means surrendering his shot at a rare Bledisoe Cup victory with the Wallabies.

O’Connor, 21, fronted the media today for the first time since he missed the World Cup team announcement in Sydney on Thursday - allegedly because of a big night the night before.

O’Connor attended a family day at Ballymore Stadium and fronted media before he went along with the rest of his team to throw footballs around with young fans and sign autographs.
Advertisement: Story continues below

‘‘I just want to apologise for letting everyone down, (I want to apologise) to my fans, my teammates and myself as well,’’ he said.

‘‘Whatever the outcome is I’m willing to cop it.’’

O’Connor’s punishment is going to be handed down tomorrow and it is almost certain he will be missing out on playing in the Bledisloe Cup Test.

O’Connor would not specualate on his punishment and said he had let himself down as well as the rest of the team.

‘‘I missed a massive event in my life as well, it only comes around every four years,’’ he said.

‘‘I’m disappointed, there’s nothing more I guess I can say, what’s happened, has happened.’’

He said he would talk more about what happened on Wednesday night after he was given his punishment.

Wallabies boss Robbie Deans also spoke saying the drama had an affect on the entire team.

‘‘When one of the group suffers, the entire team suffers,’’ he said.

O’Connor was seen drinking at two Sydney pubs on Wednesday night and is believed to have said his mobile phone alarm did not go off in the morning.

He was booked into Coogee's Crowne Plaza on Wednesday night with other non-Sydney based Wallabies but could not be found the next morning for an 8am team meeting and photo.

Because of his absence, the official team photo of Australia's 30-man World Cup squad was shot with 29 players.

It is believed O’Connor’s image wil be digitally added.

O'Connor also missed out on the team's grand entrance at the squad announcement, when all 29 other players filed down the stairs of a jet for major sponsor Qantas at Sydney Airport.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...aby-oconnor-20110821-1j4gr.html#ixzz1VeFcZG00

T

Tireless Backrower

I don't especially feel like I've been living under a rock regarding Aussie rugby, so it's fair of me to ask: where do you get this idea that JOC (James O'Connor)'s a serial offender Tireless Backrower? I know of a food fight two years ago. I'm sorry, that doesn't qualify as "having form" and that he's "been allowed to get away with, by way of example, photocopying his arse for 2 years".

Genuine quesiton, I'm half convinced I've missed a pile of stories regarding JOC (James O'Connor).

O'Connor was among several Wallabies told not to drink after an incident that was hushed up on the spring tour last year. The matter was dealt with by then skipper Rocky Elsom.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...booze-buddy-20110820-1j3t9.html#ixzz1VeFtIBsI

T

Tireless Backrower

So much hyperbole, Tireless Backrower! No one on my company has 'worked themselves up from the mail room'. Nor to the best of my knowledge do they photocopy their arses. I doubt any Wallaby does either. I own an ensemble business, and I try to recruit good people, in much the same way as the ARU does. 'Bashing people', which appears to be a subtext in many of your posts, is obviously the worst option. The second worst option is punishing everyone to show just how hard I am. If people don't perform, they go completely and they suffer the results in the market.

I rely on your last sentence.
I will say this: O'Connor needed sitting on his arse long ago. Had he been, instead of being treated with kid gloves, this would not have happened. This bloke earns a shit load of money built on the backs of people who get and got paid nothing. Find out who paid for the 1979 jerseys worn by the Wallabies when they won the Bledisloe...that's how stuffed this game was....and he rides in and takes the glory without doing the hard yards.

Tell us what you do when your best employee turns out to have been bullying the other staff?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Groucho, a genuine question. If you were JO'N, how would you manage this situation, taking into account his previous indiscretions and the fact that previous sanctions (right or wrong) seem not to have worked? I personally think he should be stood down for a game, if for no other reason than to demonstrate to him that he is not indispensible, and to a lesser degree to impose a financial sanction.
But I would be interested in your approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.