• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The reason JOC (James O'Connor) was absent from the RWC squad announcement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The only way it is possibly punishing the Wallbies is on the field for this one game. (And if the Wallabies win without him, what then?)

In every other respect, the Wallabies and the game of rugby in general wins.

Yes, it's punishing the Wallabies in this game. It's an important game. There are better punishments, such as 200 hours of community rugby work in the off season, where someone actually gains a benefit.

In-house suspensions are a throwback to the days of amateur sports.

But I've said my piece. I'll shut up now.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe dropping him from the squad altogether is a little over the top.

Anyway, it has been dealt with and that is the end of it. Hopefully it does not happen again and he contributes to a successful RWC campaign.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
the aru set a themselves up for this a few yrs back when lotte was banned for vital game
now everytime a wallaby fucks up hes gunna get anned for a game> they know this

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Groucho, the problem people have with your view is that it is not a team-oriented solution precisely because it does not place the consequences of his actions in relation to the team. Aside from punishing JOC (James O'Connor), suspension reinforces the notion that no one is bigger than the team. It's not complicated and very from idiocy, as you so eloquently.

Sport might be a business but teams themselves are not.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Hypothetically, (and out of left field)........... If the ARU was to tear up JOC (James O'Connor)'s contract, or he decided to spit the dummy, given that his parents are Kiwis and Grand Parents from SA, would he be subject to a "quarantine period" before he became eligible to play for either country?!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yes, it's punishing the Wallabies in this game. It's an important game. There are better punishments, such as 200 hours of community rugby work in the off season, where someone actually gains a benefit.

In-house suspensions are a throwback to the days of amateur sports.

But I've said my piece. I'll shut up now.

If the only thing that matters to the Wallabies is what happens on-field, then no - don't ban him. Because that's the only place where the Wallabies may lose in this situation - and that's not a given anyway. The Wallabies have lost plenty of times with JOC (James O'Connor) on the field. And I don't know what the big drama is anyway - there is a shit load of precedent for this in almost every sport you choose to look at. You f**k up off the field, it will cost you on the field....professional or not.

In any case, it's JOC (James O'Connor)'s fault no matter what. Not the ARU's.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The only way it is possibly punishing the Wallbies is on the field for this one game. (And if the Wallabies win without him, what then?)

In every other respect, the Wallabies and the game of rugby in general wins.

This is an opportunity for the wallabies to a) try a different combination and b) see how Cooper goes compared to how JOC (James O'Connor)'s been going.

So far JOC (James O'Connor) has been average with the boot, and we all know average won't win us the RWC.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
no. he can't play for another country ever.
too many exclamation marks

Thank you SAR.... By the way, I love exclamation marks, they're very expressive! At least my grammar is correct, in that I don't use one-word sentences, and I know when to use upper-case. Hopefully, my daughter who lives in Canada, won't pick up your bad habbits!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
283937_232255690140346_118956934803556_757040_6946495_n3.jpg

Beale was in the loo then...

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
only 2 sports stories on ch9 in Brisbane tonight! (no mention of losing the cricket or other sports), we were told how awesome the Broncos are and how bad the Rugby player were (and pictures of Genia being cut by Samo).

Where is the promotion for the Wallaby game? Ch9 is a real let down for the sport.

Reactions: sjg
R

Richard D. James

only 2 sports stories on ch9 in Brisbane tonight! (no mention of losing the cricket or other sports), we were told how awesome the Broncos are and how bad the Rugby player were (and pictures of Genia being cut by Samo).

Where is the promotion for the Wallaby game? Ch9 is a real let down for the sport.

I think that is there promotion of the game. And on the bright side, at least the average punter might know who these guys are now....

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
its a shame that the free to air coverage is so bad, only the dedicated suffer through the horrible telecasts... accessibility - or lack thereof - to the game is killing its growth.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
A sobering thought. Would an AB winger be stupid enough to pull the shit JOC (James O'Connor) has. Definately not, they know there are 3-4 quality wingers behind them and would miss out on the worldcup. Say's alot about our depth.

But I am glad the ARU has suspeded him. I would rather lose as a team with principals than win as a team who think they are above doing the right thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A sobering thought. Would an AB winger be stupid enough to pull the shit JOC (James O'Connor) has. Definately not, they know there are 3-4 quality wingers behind them and would miss out on the worldcup. Say's alot about our depth.

NZ Rugby has had their fair share of controversies before. I don't think the JOC (James O'Connor) incident is that big of a deal. Standing him down for the 3N decider is a substantial punishment for any Wallaby.

Doug Howlett arrested for trashing cars: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10469056

Chris Masoe and Tana Umaga handbag incident: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/05/29/1148754911939.html

There are plenty more...

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A sobering thought. Would an AB winger be stupid enough to pull the shit JOC (James O'Connor) has.

I don't know about wingers but look up the staggering amount of times that Jimmy Cowan has been involved in off-field alcohol fuelled stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.