• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The way to manage the Ref is to tell Moore to be quiet and Fardy to stop sniping at him all the time.

Agree Moore needs to either tone it down or just bite his tongue.

But in terms of going into a test match, strategies on how to play the breakdown and scrums should be worked out so if a ref has a perceived tendency you have a Plan B.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me, the Coach forms a game plan or plans capable of being implemented by the players chosen.

One of the Coaches main roles is "man management". I would think that the Captain should be implementing the Coaches "directions" on the field, including the way and manner of communicating with officialdom.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One of the Coaches main roles is "man management". I would think that the Captain should be implementing the Coaches "directions" on the field, including the way and manner of communicating with officialdom.

Telling someone to be better at something doesn't necessarily mean they will be.

They're called communication skills because there is skill involved.

Certainly it can be trained like anything else.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Telling someone to be better at something doesn't necessarily mean they will be.

They're called communication skills because there is skill involved.

Certainly it can be trained like anything else.

If the Tellee ain't listening to the Teller (Coach) then very obviously the Tellee needs to be fucked off, forthwith.

If the Teller doesn't have the necessary skills to impart HIS direction, then he should be the one who should be gone.

Note: It would be pretty clear to most that the skill improves over time and after many different situations. The real problem for Moore (and I supported his Captaincy at time of appointment) is he isn't learning. Don't know about Chek communication skills but he seems to have no problem

Is that his problem, Cheika's problem, Wallaby team problem (one of) or a combination of each.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Poey would be great in 2018 as the om field general (after his return), His standing in the game and the respectful manner he addresses the Referees are his big attributes (along with his playing ability)

My ONLY concern is the possibility of an off field agenda using the Captaincy to further his personal / political views.

Frank Row (1)
In all the time Cheika has been at the helm, can anybody honestly say they've seen a single test where the Wallabies have mixed it up in their game plan? Or changed strategies at half-time when it's obvious things aren't working?

I can't really think of any.

Actually, if you saw most of the 2014 and 2015 waratahs games, you might had notice this too. In 2015 was very easy to spot how the tahs would play the same gameplan for full 80 minutes, players were full tilt, but they were very predictable. After that season i had the feeling that Cheika was a good motivator but not so good strategist, after the whitewash i had the same feeling.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Actually, if you saw most of the 2014 and 2015 waratahs games, you might had notice this too. In 2015 was very easy to spot how the tahs would play the same gameplan for full 80 minutes, players were full tilt, but they were very predictable. After that season i had the feeling that Cheika was a good motivator but not so good strategist, after the whitewash i had the same feeling.

I think Cheika has done an amazing job with the culture of the squad but I also very much doubt his strategic abilities. A complete lack of adaptability and variation.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)

Yes, which is probably why the Highlanders were able to knock them over twice. The Highlanders play a possession and counter-attack based game and the Tahs couldn't really cope with it. They knew what was coming in the semi-final but didn't (or couldn't) adjust their game and were well beaten.

What was even more astounding last year was that the Force managed to beat them twice too, playing the same game as the Highlanders but with much less precision.

I think generally it's less of an issue in Super Rugby because defences are looser and all-out attack works well, especially when you've got some hard-running forwards and basically an all-Wallaby backline like they did in 2015.

But in the step up to Test level defences go up a degree and flexibility, precision and a degree of guile are all needed to break the line. I still expect Cheikaball to work well at Wallaby level against everybody from France down (which includes Argentina), with some success against the likes of Ireland and Wales, but against England, South Africa and NZ, that lack of creativity is likely to be a death sentence.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, which is probably why the Highlanders were able to knock them over twice. The Highlanders play a possession and counter-attack based game and the Tahs couldn't really cope with it. They knew what was coming in the semi-final but didn't (or couldn't) adjust their game and were well beaten.

What was even more astounding last year was that the Force managed to beat them twice too, playing the same game as the Highlanders but with much less precision.

I think generally it's less of an issue in Super Rugby because defences are looser and all-out attack works well, especially when you've got some hard-running forwards and basically an all-Wallaby backline like they did in 2015.

But in the step up to Test level defences go up a degree and flexibility, precision and a degree of guile are all needed to break the line. I still expect Cheikaball to work well at Wallaby level against everybody from France down (which includes Argentina), with some success against the likes of Ireland and Wales, but against England, South Africa and NZ, that lack of creativity is likely to be a death sentence.

Great Post Simon. Summed up well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wallabies squad for the 2016 Rugby Championship

Allan Ala'alatoa* (0 Tests)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (114 Tests)
Adam Coleman (1 Test)
Quade Cooper (58 Tests)
Kane Douglas (23 Tests)
Scott Fardy (33 Tests)
Israel Folau (41 Tests)
Bernard Foley (30 Tests)
Will Genia (66 Tests)
Matt Giteau (102 Tests)
James Hanson (10 Tests)
Dane Haylett-Petty (3 Tests)
Reece Hodge* (0 Tests)
Michael Hooper (54 Tests)
Rob Horne (32 Tests)
Sekope Kepu (66 Tests)
Samu Kerevi (2 Tests)
Tevita Kuridrani (34 Tests)
Ben McCalman (48 Tests)
Sean McMahon (9 Tests)
Drew Mitchell (70 Tests)
Stephen Moore (c) (105 Tests)
Dean Mumm (46 Tests)
Nick Phipps (42 Tests)
David Pocock (56 Tests)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (64 Tests)
Tom Robertson (0 Tests)
Rob Simmons (62 Tests)
Scott Sio (18 Tests)
Will Skelton (15 Tests)
James Slipper (77 Tests)
Lopeti Timani* (0 Tests)
Matt To'omua (32 Tests)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nick Frisby, Toby Smith and Luke Morahan are the three to miss out.

Looks like Tom Robertson could be making his test debut in the first Bledisloe against the All Blacks!

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Good to see Hodge, Robertson and Timani in the squad. All three deserved IMO.

I hope they actually get some game time. Cheika has been pretty good at naming new talent in the wider squad but does tend to revert to the incumbents on match day.

Pretty good squad overall. Ironically after our travails during the England series we now have an embarrassment of riches at 12, with Giteau, To'omua, Hodge and Kerevi all there. Still a bit weak in other positions though. Gee, I wish I could slot Cubelli in there.

I think my starting 23 from that squad for Bledisloe 1 would be:

Slipper, Moore, Kepu, Douglas, Simmons, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Foley, Mitchell, Giteau, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), DHP

Bench: TPN, Ala'alatoa, Robertston, Timani, McMahon, Phipps, To'omua, Hodge

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Nick Frisby, Toby Smith and Luke Morahan are the three to miss out.

Looks like Tom Robertson could be making his test debut in the first Bledisloe against the All Blacks!

Got no issues with those 3 missing out. Wish Morahan got a shot already given his pace would come in handy, but we already have DHP there and he's proven his worth.

Huge debut for Robertson on the cards. I think too much too soon but hope he goes well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Good to see Hodge, Robertson and Timani in the squad. All three deserved IMO.

I hope they actually get some game time. Cheika has been pretty good at naming new talent in the wider squad but does tend to revert to the incumbents on match day.

Pretty good squad overall. Ironically after our travails during the England series we now have an embarrassment of riches at 12, with Giteau, To'omua, Hodge and Kerevi all there. Still a bit weak in other positions though. Gee, I wish I could slot Cubelli in there.

I think my starting 23 from that squad for Bledisloe 1 would be:

Slipper, Moore, Kepu, Douglas, Simmons, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Foley, Mitchell, Giteau, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), DHP

Bench: TPN, Ala'alatoa, Robertston, Timani, McMahon, Phipps, To'omua, Hodge

I saw a video on Facebook with Mitchell and Gits. Mitchell said he wasn't ready for hill sprints yet which to me indicates he's not back to full fitness. I hope this is not the case.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
He was released because his contract with Exeter said he was available once Super Rugby finished.

I was under the impression all Oz Super Rugby contracts ran up to 31 December so's to allow players to be available for selection for EoYTs. In this instance didn't Cheika release Holmes, and Dennis, from their contracts early?

Status
Not open for further replies.