• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From Foxsports:

He said he would have liked to have picked Greg Holmes, Liam Gill and Dave Dennis, the veteran forward trio who are getting ready to make the move to Europe next season.

“Greg Holmes and Liam Gill and Dave Dennis were picked in the initial squad, originally,” Cheika said.
“We’ve had some difficult conversations with those lads and they’ve been very understanding in that way.
“Every player in Australia signs till the end of December, barring the odd clause here or there.
“But agents have been selling off players or offering them overseas.
“The players are being put in really difficult situations.
“I really didn’t want to let them go but these players are being put in the middle, in difficult situations by their agents, by promising the overseas clubs certain things that they’re not sure they can deliver.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not saying they will cut McKenzie, but if Cruden starts at 10, Barrett fills that spot on the bench.

Fair call. I think we will see both Cruden and Barrett starting in the RC at one stage or another. McKenzie will surely be on the bench at one stage too.

They are very fortunate that they can effectively rotate players without it causing too much disharmony.

Compared to us, who seems to always be "building combinations".

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
My Wallabies starting XV to face the ABs:

1 Scott Sio
2 Stephen Moore (c)
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Rob Simmons
5 Kane Douglas
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper
8 David Pocock
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Drew Mitchell
12 Matt Giteau
13 Israel Folau
14 Two Daddies
15 Dayne Haylett-Petty

16 TPN
17 James Slipper
18 Tom Robertson
19 Adam Coleman
20 Sean McMahon
21 Nick Frisby
22 Bernard Foley
23 Samu Kerevi

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like the idea of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. He was playing superb rugby their at the Tahs for a couple of years and only got pushed to the wing because Kuridrani was on fire.

Kuridrani is in average form so AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should get the nod there. Too soon for Kerevi and I prefer Folau at fullback against the AB's for his highball skills.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should have played all his career at 13 instead of being Mr. Fixit.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should have played all his career at 13 instead of being Mr. Fixit.

How true, how very, very true. And yet we see these muddled selection outcomes with Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua, Folau (potentially) and others. One of the very few redeeming features of The Parrot as Wallaby coach was his selection abilities; a lesson to be heeded.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
"Possible" AB 32 according to Liam Napier:

Joe Moody, Wyatt Crockett, Owen Franks, Charlie Faumuina, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Dane Coles, Cody Taylor, Nathan Harris, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Luke Romano, Sam Cane, Kieran Read, Elliot Dixon, Jerome Kaino, Ardie Savea, Liam Squire, Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Lima Sopoaga, Ryan Crotty, Sonny Bill Williams, Malakai Fekitoa, George Moala/Seta Tamanivalu, Ben Smith, Waisake Naholo, Israel Dagg, Julian Savea

I'd expect to see up to three extras named, Moala or Tamanivalu to cover SBW's week(s) off post-Rio & two in case Moody (neck) and/ or Coles (ribs) aren't fit in time.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-championship-but-outside-back-squeeze-coming

G

galumay

One of the very few redeeming features of The Parrot as Wallaby coach was his selection abilities; a lesson to be heeded.

No there were no redeeming features. A truly awful human being to boot.

I think the point about 2 dads and the others is a bit simplistic. Sometimes it has worked well too, Beale for one. Not sure it would have been realistic to always play 2 dads at 13. Once again the professional coaches and selectors, working directley with the playing group, probably had more and better insights than the couch coaches!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Squad proper won't be named until 6 August but this is the 'boks prelim squad (no Lions or overseas players considered):

Damian de Allende (Stormers), Lood de Jager (Cheetahs), Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers), Eben Etzebeth (Stormers), Vincent Koch (Stormers), Jesse Kriel (Bulls), Pat Lambie (Sharks), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Oupa Mohoje (Cheetahs), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks), Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Stormers), Trevor Nyakane (Bulls), Coenie Oosthuizen (Sharks), Rudy Paige (Bulls), Handré Pollard (Bulls), Jan Serfontein (Bulls), Adriaan Strauss (Bulls)

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/boks-name-training-squad/

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
My Wallabies starting XV to face the ABs:

1 Scott Sio
2 Stephen Moore (c)
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Rob Simmons
5 Kane Douglas
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper
8 David Pocock
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Drew Mitchell
12 Matt Giteau
13 Israel Folau
14 Two Daddies
15 Dayne Haylett-Petty

16 TPN
17 James Slipper
18 Tom Robertson
19 Adam Coleman
20 Sean McMahon
21 Nick Frisby
22 Bernard Foley
23 Samu Kerevi

I like the look of that 23 MHCS with the exception of #2 having the (C) beside his name. I would dearly love to see Poey be given the job despite his upcoming sabbatical.
I am also hoping the European based boys are in good form & fitness as I can't see us getting close to the darkness without them all firing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Squad proper won't be named until 6 August but this is the 'boks prelim squad (no Lions or overseas players considered):

Damian de Allende (Stormers), Lood de Jager (Cheetahs), Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers), Eben Etzebeth (Stormers), Vincent Koch (Stormers), Jesse Kriel (Bulls), Pat Lambie (Sharks), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Oupa Mohoje (Cheetahs), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks), Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Stormers), Trevor Nyakane (Bulls), Coenie Oosthuizen (Sharks), Rudy Paige (Bulls), Handré Pollard (Bulls), Jan Serfontein (Bulls), Adriaan Strauss (Bulls)

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/boks-name-training-squad/

Might look more than just a little different once the Lions are through!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
image.jpeg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...p-not-the-answer-says-all-blacks-coach-hansen

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
How does TKB get the call up every time? Especially after the way TJP mugged him last week.

Must have pictures of Hanson in a compromising position with a fur seal.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Might look more than just a little different once the Lions are through!

You'd think there could be as many as 10: I'd def have Whiteley if fit, Kriel, De Klerk, Jantjies, van Rensburg & Mapoe plus give serious thought to Marx, Mostert, Tecklenburg & Combrinck. Chuck in a few "chicken runners" (but not FLouw, he's made himself unavailable) & that's a pretty decent squad. Not sure if it would meet the quota, tho.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
You'd think there could be as many as 10: I'd def have Whiteley if fit, Kriel, De Klerk, Jantjies, van Rensburg & Mapoe plus give serious thought to Marx, Mostert, Tecklenburg & Combrinck. Chuck in a few "chicken runners" (but not FLouw, he's made himself unavailable) & that's a pretty decent squad. Not sure if it would meet the quota, tho.

Marx has continually outplayed the likes of Ntubeni and Mbonambi (spelling) but they are getting the 2nd and 3rd HK positions. I know they are good players so it's not controversial or anything, but I Hope some of these emerging lions don't miss out due to the quota? Won't be an issue however if they stop picking over seas players. Just means a different make up in the backrow especially.

Skosan deserves a call up to replace JP. They have Mohoje and Notshe in the flanks, but wouldn't be surprised if because of the quota, that's not a bad place to bring in Carr or Kolisi with Whiteley and Kriel.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My side:
1 James Slipper (equal scrummager but brings so much more around field than Sio)
2 Stephen Moore (Captain - unfortunately) needs to improve all round - general play, communication with Referee)
3 Sekope Kepu (no question now that Holmes has gone- should be fitter for this series)
4 Rob Simmons (has been put on "notice" so better have a big one)
5 Kane Douglas ( see if he is back to his best)
6 Scott Fardy (penalty magnet,loose carries, whinging - but best we have)
7 David Pocock VC (preference for Captain but pissing off next year) - his rightful position and turnovers are crucial in these games
8 Ben McCalman ( a real 8 - tough as teak )
9 Will Genia (with fingers crossed)
10 Quade Cooper (same as Genia above and toes crossed as well - second choive kicker)
11 DHP (hope he continues good form)
12 Matt Giteau ( just don't crab - first choice kicker )
13 Kerevi (hard and straight )
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (try and pass the ball Adam)
15 Israel Folau (God-like but get involved early)

16 TPN - better scrummager and runner than Moore but not the motor
17 Scott Sio - (dominate Kiwi scrum when replacements come)
18 Tom Robertson - (just don't know in this arena)
19 Adam Coleman (worth his shot)
20 Michael Hooper VC (to deliver impact in last 20 or 30)
21 Nick Phipps (needs to inject his enthusiasm and pass well)
22 Drew Mitchell (experienced)
23 Matt To'omua (Mr Coverall backs positions - third choice kicker)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My side:
1 James Slipper (equal scrummager but brings so much more around field

Really? Sio is a much more damaging runner, whereas Slipper is more mobile. I've always favoured Sio around the park but thought it was a pretty damn close comparison either way.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How many players are recently returning form injury:
Simmons
Douglas
Gits
McCalman? Not sure about this one?
Genia
Mitchell

I always feel it can take a lot of time for players returning from injury, especially large ones to regain form, sometimes they never do. Douglas looks to be on track, the rest is relatively unknown.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Really? Sio is a much more damaging runner, whereas Slipper is more mobile. I've always favoured Sio around the park but thought it was a pretty damn close comparison either way.

Nope you are right in that Sio is a more damaging runner but he does it fairly rarely. Slipper makes tackles a lot of other props cannot get to.(mobility factor). His workload SEEMS greater. Suppose it is hard to quantify but maybe those new tracking systems (someone was talking about) would give a better indication.

Suppose we will have the reinvigorated Simmons, Douglas, Kepu, Moore, Pocock, Hooper, Fardy, Mccalman (?), McMahon (?) to run the ball in tight.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Nope you are right in that Sio is a more damaging runner but he does it fairly rarely. Slipper makes tackles a lot of other props cannot get to.(mobility factor). His workload SEEMS greater. Suppose it is hard to quantify but maybe those new tracking systems (someone was talking about) would give a better indication.

Suppose we will have the reinvigorated Simmons, Douglas, Kepu, Moore, Pocock, Hooper, Fardy, Mccalman (?), McMahon (?) to run the ball in tight.

You'd think Slipper would certainly have the edge over Sio this year then given Sio had those scrummaging issues in the England Test. So I'd say Slipper is slightly more consisitant in the scrummaging department.

Either way they are both good. Happy with both of them.

Lock however.... someone needs to step up!

Status
Not open for further replies.