• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It depends on the outcome over time. The quality of a decision depends purely on the correctness of the risk analysis performed while making it, not the individual outcome. Guessing right is luck. Systems based on the exploitation of skill consistently win over systems based on the explotation of luck.

You are probably right. However I'm starting to get the feeling we are all bored!

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Where is Gits at the moment? (posted 9 hrs ago.)

CoULuViWYAE68HO.jpg

good job.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
You guys are sidetracking on the captaincy talks, the options of penalty kicks and hardly made only By the captain, usually there is a chat by couple of senior players before the captain tells the ref what they are doing.

However the communication Moore has had with referees has been abysmal. And that is something that could be fixed by changing captains, the on field decisions would propably still be consensual by the on field leadership group. Or the watercarrier getting instructions from the HC and then yelling from the sideline.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Interesting observation by Mick Byrne on Rugby 360 tonight re captains. He was saying that any No 10 ought not be captain because as the play manager he needs to be able to address the team and sort out problems or set up the next plays while the Captain is in discussions with the ref. Not that our No 10 has yet been put forward seriously as a candidate, but maybe a similar approach should be taken with the forwards leader, say Slipper, but probably should include all members of the front row. Let him also have the time that becomes available to talk tactics and to correct any deficiencies with the rest of the scrummagers while the 'nominal' captain is in discussions with the ref.

Would definitely be useful if we could unearth a captain with the same communication skills and characteristics of Ben Mowen once again.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting observation by Mick Byrne on Rugby 360 tonight re captains. He was saying that any No 10 ought not be captain because as the play manager he needs to be able to address the team and sort out problems or set up the next plays while the Captain is in discussions with the ref. Not that our No 10 has yet been put forward seriously as a candidate, but maybe a similar approach should be taken with the forwards leader, say Slipper, but probably should include all members of the front row. Let him also have the time that becomes available to talk tactics and to correct any deficiencies with the rest of the scrummagers while the 'nominal' captain is in discussions with the ref.

Would definitely be useful if we could unearth a captain with the same communication skills and characteristics of Ben Mowen once again.

Our number 10, Foley, doesn't seem to do a lot of the organising or talking on the field, at least compared to other 10's like Lilo. Foley normally just runs himself, or passes to Folau. He's pretty good at that though.

I don't really see him as a leader, which is strange for a 10 as i agree with Mick's comments.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Should indicate To'omua is the clear front-runner for the 12 jersey. It was probably a 50/50 call anyway if Gits was immediately available.

Well provided Foley is still first choice 10, which is likely but you never know now given everyone's form, or lack thereof.
This may be controversial but I'd like to see To'omua at ten and Kerevi at 12. Thought he was just about our best back last series and deserved a to stay in the side.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Chek could go way left field and choose QC (Quade Cooper) at 10. His unpredictability and old "x factor" (if he gets it back) is something that has been missing

Now that would be interesting and would certainly light up the forum.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This may be controversial but I'd like to see To'omua at ten and Kerevi at 12. Thought he was just about our best back last series and deserved a to stay in the side.

Who would you then have @13? If we are going controversial it opens up the option to have a different type of 13, like the Nonu/ Smith combo the AB had. What about a fresh face like Naivalu or dare I suggest Folau @13? DHP could play @15.

It would also provide really different attacking option just by changing who is @10, like To'omua or QC (Quade Cooper). One provides a more territorial game, the other more running. Foley provides a good bench option as then you can sub him in as he is fairly sound and keeps it simple, and either sub or slide the others to 12.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Who would you then have @13? If we are going controversial it opens up the option to have a different type of 13, like the Nonu/ Smith combo the AB had. What about a fresh face like Naivalu or dare I suggest Folau @13? DHP could play @15.

It would also provide really different attacking option just by changing who is @10, like To'omua or QC (Quade Cooper). One provides a more territorial game, the other more running. Foley provides a good bench option as then you can sub him in as he is fairly sound and keeps it simple, and either sub or slide the others to 12.
I always thought James O'Connor would make good 13 but I digress.
Kerevi could play in the same style as Nonu but Folau isn't a Smith. Niavaru? I have no idea is he knocking on the door of selection?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
and TK out of match day 23 ?

Hurts me to say it, but possibly based on recent form yes. I said a couple of weeks ago in the Brumbies blog a run on the wing where he has to work to get ball and has more freedom to get his running back may help him out.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Kerevi could play in the same style as Nonu but Folau isn't a Smith. Niavaru? I have no idea is he knocking on the door of selection?

If you were looking at meters and defenders beaten, they are about equal, except TK has 6 more games and less tries!

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

John Connolly agrees with Mick Byrne, as he considered making Gits captain, but decided against it because he thought it would be too much of a burden (he was playing 10 at the time & goalkicking IIRC)

Source: George Smith's biography

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Sully, I definitely like the idea of To'omua at 10 and Kerevi at 12. Can't see it happening though; Foley seems to be a Cheika favourite and apparently can do no wrong. In any case, it would only be short term with Matty off to England at the end of the year.

If it were to happen, and a Conrad Smith type was wanted at 13, then I'd suggest that could be DHP, with Izzy staying at 15.

We really are short of good wingers too atm. Given our present stocks in the country, Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be front runners.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not sure I want Gits back anyway, even if he's available. This is not a knock against him, more a thought that a bloke past his prime is perhaps not who we want lining up in TRC. I say this with full recognition of how good he was at RWC15. Even though To'omua's time is up soon for Aussie rugby, I love him at 12 for the Wallabies. Great defender, good passer and can kick. I think Foley needs a bloke like him standing one spot out.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Chek could go way left field and choose QC (Quade Cooper) at 10. His unpredictability and old "x factor" (if he gets it back) is something that has been missing

Now that would be interesting and would certainly light up the forum.

It blows my mind that people are still talking about Quade as the Wallabies 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.