• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The Genia/Quade/To'omua axis is still the best IMO..

9. genia 10. quade 12. To'omua 13. Folau
11. Mitchell 15. DHP 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

21. phipps 22. Gits 23. Horne

plenty of rugby brains, experience, left footers, solid distributors...maybe missing some size on the wing but rather those two then horne considering tomane not available..maybe naiyaravoro @ 23.

Perhaps folau to 15 and kerevi to 13 if you need another linebender.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
This may be controversial but I'd like to see To'omua at ten and Kerevi at 12. Thought he was just about our best back last series and deserved a to stay in the side.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

This and the subsequent discussion can't happen because we are then without a goal-kicker. One of Foley, Cooper and Lilo needs to be in the XV and a further one of those needs to be on the bench.

G

galumay

I cant see QC (Quade Cooper) making the squad, surprised he is even in the wider squad this far out. I am not sure about persisting with Gits, there are risks in not starting to blood new, younger players into the team in terms of succession planning.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I cant see QC (Quade Cooper) making the squad, surprised he is even in the wider squad this far out.

Based on what? If he's eligible he is very likely to be in an extended squad initially and will probably make the final squad.

Chieka has actively pursued him coming home. When he's been available, Chieka has picked him. Apart from Foley we really only have Lilo (To'omua is consistently seen as a 12 at Test level and is leaving) who has never really stepped up at Test level.
It's all moot until he sorts out his Super Rugby franchise though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's highly likely that Cooper will be Cheika's second choice 10 like he was at the RWC.

I expect him to be in the 30 man squad or whatever the final number is.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Based on what? If he's eligible he is very likely to be in an extended squad initially and will probably make the final squad.

Chieka has actively pursued him coming home. When he's been available, Chieka has picked him. Apart from Foley we really only have Lilo (To'omua is consistently seen as a 12 at Test level and is leaving) who has never really stepped up at Test level.

Chek's no dill. He wants ALL players in Australia and overseas to be in the bag, available for selection. Whether he selects them, time will tell.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Chek's no dill. He wants ALL players in Australia and overseas to be in the bag, available for selection. Whether he selects them, time will tell.

Except he's been very vocal on how he has actively pursued Quade. TO the point of exasperation at some that have suggested that if Quade was to return that he wouldn't be likely to play for the Wallabies again.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
For interest's sake, here's the SuperBru Fantasy form Wallabies XV from the super season. And before anyone pulls me up, yes I know that because of the scoring system forwards that play a looser game have a points advantage (hence the three 7s) and it obviously doesn't take into consideration tight play aspects such as scrummaging.

1 T Smith
2 Moore
3 R Smith
4 Jones
5 Arnold
6 Gill
7 Hooper
8 McMahon
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Haylett-Petty
12 Lealiifano
13 Kerevi
14 Tomane
15 Folau

16 Polota-Nau
17 Sio
18 Alexander
19 Neville
20 Fardy
21 Frisby
22 Debrezceni
23 Lance

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Precisely. Who are the Aus eligible 10's that are in better form or have more ability than Quade currently? Even before I get to the second part of that question, it's a pretty short list that makes up available Aus eligible 10's.

Regardless of what people think of him, he currently would sit in the top 2-3 10's for Australia. Depending on your personal opinion he might be a good/great 10 or it could perfectly sum up how dire our depth is at flyhalf at the moment. But in either case, he will be in the squad at least.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

I tend to agree with you that QC (Quade Cooper) is more than likely the backup 10. I think Lilo has not done enough to lock down the position, and To'omua provides additional cover plus some stinging defense.

My only question around QC (Quade Cooper) is game time in the 10 recently, as I don't think he's had a lot.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm predicting Cooper will take Lilo's spot on the bench. Foley and To'omua/Gits will start.

Not sure about the wingers. I just hope Horne isn't favoured over Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and DHP.

Also predicting Genia > Phipps.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
In a 30 man squad I can't see how they can carry CFL, To'omua, gits, foley and quade.....they will probably cut it to 2 hks and 2 hbs to accommodate.

What is your 30? (though everyone knows there will be a bunch more training with them ready to jump in at a moments notice)
This is what I think it will be, not necessarily what I want!

Tpn Moore
Smith Holmes Kepu Slipper Sio
Simmons Douglas Arnold Carter
Fardy Mcmahon Hoops Poey Mccalman Palu
Genia Phipps
Quade Foley To'omua
Gits Kerevi TK Folau
Horne Mitchell AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) DHP

These guys are unlucky but wouldn't be surprised to see any mix of them in there! such a hard one to pick!

Hanson, Ready, Ala'alatoa, Robertson, Skelton, Mumm, Coleman, Houston, Timani, Gill, Frisby, Lealiifano, Hodge, & Naiyaravoro

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah the squad is very close to what I think Cheika will pick.

Although despite his previous preference for Palu to be in the squad I just don't think he will make it. He will probably stick with Mumm.

I hope Coleman gets the nod over Carter, and Timani over Palu.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah the squad is very close to what I think Cheika will pick.

Although despite his previous preference for Palu to be in the squad I just don't think he will make it. He will probably stick with Mumm.

I hope Coleman gets the nod over Carter, and Timani over Palu.

I agree with you Seb V. I wonder how mccalman is travelling from injury. may afford a timani, Mumm & Coleman instead of Mccalman, Palu & Carter

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How long is Arnold is sidelined for?

It might give Coleman an opening.........

I would also like to see Cheika ditch Palu with an eye on the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.