• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Transition from Schoolboy Rugby to Colts - Is there a better way?

• Thread starter spirit of cupertino
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spirit of cupertino

Depending on next weeks results this year's narrative is simply the resurgence of Shore. (okay, this looks better if Shore take out Kings). View seem to be in disarray with players sidelined for dummyspits but they could change everything with a win next Saturday. Fairfax journalists turned up at New game but couldn't get a follow-up story. The real mettle of the teams will be on show this week. I do feel though for the boys wanting to go around again in a club side next year as it's hard to break in. AAGPS should work on this - the boys entertain us for ten weeks and then it's up to the old politicking to keep going forward.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I do feel though for the boys wanting to go around again in a club side next year as it's hard to break in. AAGPS should work on this - the boys entertain us for ten weeks and then it's up to the old politicking to keep going forward.

I dont understand what you mean.
Hard to break into what?
What should the AAGPS (which is not actually an entity) be doing?

S

spirit of cupertino

I dont understand what you mean.
Hard to break into what?
What should the AAGPS (which is not actually an entity) be doing?

Thank you. You play club rugby(juniors), you leave club rugby to play GPS, but you can't get back so easily into club rugby(colts). For whatever reason (jealousy, pride, laziness) the colts sides can't be bothered to send off a simple invite email ( the junior clubs have all these) and get the boys back. It's a disgrace. Its a racket. If that $200 per club can do anything it can be to get the GPS players back into the clubs. It's not enough to take just the cream of the crop into U20's. We need a system.

S

spirit of cupertino

Pretty sure each GPS School has a number of clubs do recruitment visits in an attempt to recruit boys for the following year.

Yes. Creighton and the no 10 for View will be fought over by Cronulla and Randwick. But that is not enough if you want the game to grow.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You mean not like a trucking company?
I wouldn't mind a drop of whatever you're on tonight.
The view 10 is in year 11.
ILTW is right - there is no district club in Sydney (except buildcorp) that isn't crying out for colts. If anyone feels unloved just let their school coach know and they'll be contacted and recruited.
You mean not like a trucking company?
I can't see how it's the school's let alone the AAGPS's responsibility to hook up with the clubs and much of the time the clubs know only too well the nepotism that goes on in juniors and want to stay well away, in my experience.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thank you. You play club rugby(juniors), you leave club rugby to play GPS, but you can't get back so easily into club rugby(colts). For whatever reason (jealousy, pride, laziness) the colts sides can't be bothered to send off a simple invite email ( the junior clubs have all these) and get the boys back. It's a disgrace. Its a racket. If that $200 per club can do anything it can be to get the GPS players back into the clubs. It's not enough to take just the cream of the crop into U20's. We need a system.

As someone who spent about 5 or 6 years involved with recruiting for colts, I can assure that all colts clubs want school players.

Of course the ex-school players could just turn up when colts training starts and be welcomed with open arms. It's not invitation only you know anyone can turn up and play.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I just had a quick flick through 4 Clubs websites and all four had notes about either training starting, pre season training, or upcoming info day/nights.

What is it you really want SoC?
A sense of entitlement that these boys have being 1st or 2nd Xv is quickly beaten out of the young men when they turn up and see the previous years Oz schoolboy or this years NSW20's player running around competing for positions. Mummy, Daddy or SoC senior has no control now due to little SoC is now with men, not boys.
Did easts not want little SoC? Send him over the hill.
Cross the bridge to be with norths. Jakob will be going there.
Gordon will welcome Colts with open arms and have a great tight knit group of men looking after them
But once he gets there, there is no entitlement as there are players that want his position and the coaches already know who is who in the zoo. It depends on the young man not the invite.

Tangles

Frank Row (1)
Bet s on Brian. 100 bucks if he s at norths. U seem to ASS U ME alot and publicise inaccurate facts.
:oops:

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Out of curiosity who is the bloke that has the $100 bet on him going to Norths?
As for playing with the Colts-I know two young blokes personally whose experience will assist:The first left a GPS school last year having played in the 2nd Xv and walked in to one Club at the start of this season and was playing Colts Ists after three games in the 2nds.The other bloke I know is a current first XV GPS player and has five of the clubs approach him personally to come and play with them in Colts Ists
I think the real test for all these blokes including the exceptionally talented ones will be their ability and interest to stick at it and injury.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Bet s on Brian. 100 bucks if he s at norths. U seem to ASS U ME alot and publicise inaccurate facts.
:oops:
I am sorry, but you are new to this aren't you?
How about you give me a reason or two why he won't?
Do you know where SoC junior will end up as well?
Please enlighten us all Sir

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Out of curiosity who is the bloke that has the $100 bet on him going to Norths?
As for playing with the Colts-I know two young blokes personally whose experience will assist:The first left a GPS school last year having played in the 2nd Xv and walked in to one Club at the start of this season and was playing Colts Ists after three games in the 2nds.The other bloke I know is a current first XV GPS player and has five of the clubs approach him personally to come and play with them in Colts Ists
I think the real test for all these blokes including the exceptionally talented ones will be their ability and interest to stick at it and injury.

She's an interesting world in Colts. Performance and attitude is everything. Past accomplishments count for nothing.

Plenty of non-rockstars at many Colts clubs are playing 1sts Colts, and doing fairly well for themselves. Some of these are even from CCC, ISA, CHS and CAS backgrounds. Your story is repeated many times over each year, not only for GPS School 2nd XV players, but also for graduates from Oakhill, Stannies, Aloys, Chevelier, and Plumpton High.

Not only has your other lad been approached by 5 clubs, but this year (as it was last year) plenty of ISA, CHS and CAS boys have been approached by many clubs, with the Vikings from Canberra sending a few letters around as well.

Colts is a very different world. Instead of playing in front of the entire school to adulation from all, the audience on St Pauls Oval, Latham Park, Rat Park No 2, Keirlie Park, TG Milner top field, Bon Scott Park at Norths etc can be counted in the double digits.

Back to AAGPS stuff. Leave the scary post school for another thread.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sorry SOC . Your wrong

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am only mildy (if that) interested in what clubs 1st XV players are going to. I am more interested in see kids from the 3rds,4ths etc all the way down deciding to keep playing rugby and what the best options are.
What are subbies colts like ?

S

spirit of cupertino

Back to AAGPS stuff. Leave the scary post school for another thread.

No. You should know better, and censure less. An 18 y.o. going into an u21 side which is already made up of a close group of beer drinking mates is not an easy ask. There is no policy of bringing in a better player who might upset the status quo. Your attempt to moderate out this simple fact is evidence of the lack of desire to grow the game and I humbly ask you to sack yourself.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am only mildy (if that) interested in what clubs 1st XV players are going to. I am more interested in see kids from the 3rds,4ths etc all the way down deciding to keep playing rugby and what the best options are.
What are subbies colts like ?

@Ted S, I have reposted your question on this thread. You may get more of a detailed response there.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/sydney-subbies-2014.13573/page-28

I will shortly add a "Where are the Class of 2014 off to" Thread. As you infer, most of the talk on that thread will be about the Rockstars and their club choices, with scant regard for the masses in the 2nds to the 11ths,

In very general terms, Shute Shield colts is pretty much for the serious folk who are capable of training twice (and more) per week. Even down in 3rds, the kids take their footy relatively seriously, but they still manage a fair bit of fart arseing around with their mates. Similar in Colts 2. Colts 1 is pretty serious stuff (at training and game time).

Subbies has about 6 Divisions, with a variety of Grade and Colts teams within each Division. Some Divisions don't have colts teams. There is some talk that some clubs practice shamateurism and certain players may receive payment for playing. This practice is not very widespread, with most Subbies clubs running on the vapours from an oily rag, perhaps not dissimilar to the Junior Village Club models you may be familiar with.

One fairly significant difference is that Subbies Colts is Under 21 years, while Shute Shield is Under 20 years.

Obviously as you go down the grades and divisions in Subbies, the balance between full on training and games, and the more social aspects of footy changes somewhat. Beer is fairly important, as is camaraderie and the social aspects of the game.

In short, there are plenty of opportunities for kids who want to play Rugby after Graduation at whatever level they feel comfortable with, and have the time and energy to commit to.
Nearly all Subbies clubs would welcome a gang of former 3rd XV - 6th XV GPS players with open arms.

Most importantly, kids will want to play footy where their mates are playing. With some AAGPS schools drawing kids from a fairly wide catchment, this may involve some travel for the younger Ted S's, unless they can convince their far away mates to join them at a club near you.

I hope AAGPS, ISA, and CAS collectively produce a bumper crop of Colts for the Shute Shield, and Subbies clubs around the place. (Many interested CHS, CCC and AICES lads are already there).

S

spirit of cupertino

Read the fine print Ted. "Nearly all Subbies" ( how close to all, well we're not too sure) "would" ( nice use of subjunctive) "welcome a gang". Caution: don't try this alone. Why can't we ask for something better organised that this hopeless all-care-no-responsibility don't-rock-the-boat hoplessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.