• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Crichton started his league career at the Roosters. Sorta player we should make a point of getting back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fair enough. So in your learned opinion our front rows, locks, back rowers, halves and centres are all good enough. If they are, fine, spend a lot of money on a finisher. But if they are not, what sort of ball will the finisher get to score these "one on one" tries?

Maybe he will turn out to be an inspired choice. But he will have to spend a bloody lot of time off his wing looking for the ball. And he does not look big enough for that role.

Well, we aren't spending a lot of money and we desperately need pace and threat on the edges. We need to be able to stretch defenses, at the moment too many sides can compress and leave us space on the outside knowing we don't have wingers who are a threat on the outside.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Shouldn't that be based purely on what's best for the Wallabies?

Sure. I don't think that it would be best for the Wallabies to have a player in there whose heart is not in it 100%.
It's an exaggeration of course but I would rather 15 blokes who may not be World XV players but who have dreamed their whole life of playing for Australia and would bleed for the jersey and the team than a World XV who would rather be somewhere else but are there for the cash.

Look he may well grow to love his new team and the jersey and if he does then that's terrific but until he does, then I'd rather we take one of the younger guys in the NRC on the Spring Tour than Koroibete if it comes down to it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Who says his heart is no
Sure. I don't think that it would be best for the Wallabies to have a player in there whose heart is not in it 100%.
It's an exaggeration of course but I would rather 15 blokes who may not be World XV players but who have dreamed their whole life of playing for Australia and would bleed for the jersey and the team than a World XV who would rather be somewhere else but are there for the cash.

The game is now professional. Give me the best players, I will give you the best team.

As for Koroibete's attitude, why on earth do people continue to base a whole theory on a puff piece written by a loig journalist during their grand final week?

Don't worry, chaps. We will arrange our own puffs after he joins Camp Wallaby.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't worry, chaps. We will arrange our own puffs after he joins Camp Wallaby.

Exactly. Once our journos ask the right questions, and then contextualise them however they want it'll look completely different and the leaguies will be calling him a scumbag. It's all a game.

Remember how committed Benji sounded until he said 'fuck this' halfway into a season because he wasn't starting?

T

Train Without a Station

Wam it's not just off one comment. He's also come out claiming he was guaranteed a spot on the EOYT, which was then hosed down.

I don't mind him taking money but when he comes out saying that was the only reason behind his decision it makes it seem like he has no interest in playing rugby and playing for the Wallabies.

If he's the best option then select him. But the Wallabies should not be investing time in him if he's not, in order to get him up to scratch, because it sounds like once this deal ends he'll be off again.

If he wants to use rugby, then rugby should use him. Get what you need out of him while he's here then move on like he potentially will.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Is his heart really not in it if he is driven by his desire to be a provider not just for his family in Australia but his extended family back in Fiji? That's a pretty compelling reason for someone to give something their absolute best.

The kid who has dreamt all his life of playing for the Wallabies and has been able to pass up professional opportunities to play club rugby for no money etc. might only be in that position because his family are wealthier and he not only doesn't have to provide financial support for his family but gets financial support from them to chase his dreams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wam it's not just off one comment. He's also come out claiming he was guaranteed a spot on the EOYT, which was then hosed down.

I don't mind him taking money but when he comes out saying that was the only reason behind his decision it makes it seem like he has no interest in playing rugby and playing for the Wallabies.

If he's the best option then select him. But the Wallabies should not be investing time in him if he's not, in order to get him up to scratch, because it sounds like once this deal ends he'll be off again.

If he wants to use rugby, then rugby should use him. Get what you need out of him while he's here then move on like he potentially will.

This is twisting his comments though. He said that he would have liked to stayed at the Storm and if they had been able to make him a good offer he would have stayed.

The reality was that they did not make him an offer anywhere near what he is worth and his decision was to stay in Melbourne and seek out an opportunity with the ARU and Rebels rather than another NRL club interstate.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't expect the bloke to come out gushing but he managed to not say a single positive thing about the move. Other than money.

If that's the reality, then the reality is that he really doesn't want to be playing rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't expect the bloke to come out gushing but he managed to not say a single positive thing about the move. Other than money.

If that's the reality, then the reality is that he really doesn't want to be playing rugby.

Do you not think that if the journalist interviewing him was doing so to write a rugby union story the questions (and his answers) would have been completely different?

He wasn't asked about the move to the Rebels and ARU. Everything was framed around leaving the Storm.

Did anyone see the press conference or full interview? Maybe he did say some positive things about why he wanted to play rugby again but those answers didn't make the final story.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

to be fair, I'd hope his focus was on the GF he is playing this week. He would have been crucified in the media if he talked too much about Rebels and Wallabies hopes the week of his last game, which is the biggest game of the year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The game is now professional. Give me the best players, I will give you the best team.

No you won't. This is such a fanciful comment. Toulon buy pretty much whoever they want. They can almost field a World XV team in a domestic competition. How is it that they manage to lose ever?

As for Koroibete's attitude, why on earth do people continue to base a whole theory on a puff piece written by a loig journalist during their grand final week?
Noted. In future I will base my theories on things that he didn't say. :rolleyes:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No you won't. This is such a fanciful comment. Toulon buy pretty much whoever they want. They can almost field a World XV team in a domestic competition. How is it that they manage to lose ever?

Noted. In future I will base my theories on things that he didn't say. :rolleyes:
A good number of Top14 squads can put out a best XV at similar levels of quality to Toulon, and that's before you consider teams like Wasps and Saracens.

In addition, the war of attrition style a number of, shall we say, less talented squads often manage to drag the players into the 10 man style, where physical fowards, and halves with good kicking games can even up the playing field.

They do regularly lose players that they'd rather retain as well. Both Armitage boys have left for more money, as have Tom Taylor and Freddy Michelak between seasons. Same story with Castrogiovanni, Sanchez and David Smith the season before.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see no issue at all in players being "commercial", many/ most have a very, very short peak earning periods; they should get what they can while they can; and the reality is they are usually less cut throat than the management who will cut them very quickly as it suits.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A good number of Top14 squads can put out a best XV at similar levels of quality to Toulon, and that's before you consider teams like Wasps and Saracens.

In addition, the war of attrition style a number of, shall we say, less talented squads often manage to drag the players into the 10 man style, where physical fowards, and halves with good kicking games can even up the playing field.

They do regularly lose players that they'd rather retain as well. Both Armitage boys have left for more money, as have Tom Taylor and Freddy Michelak between seasons. Same story with Castrogiovanni, Sanchez and David Smith the season before.

I think Toulon's big difference is their quality 2nd XV when injuries set in.

Personally, I think this quality is what prevents them building combinations and that's why it takes them until mid season to get going pretty often.

Combinations, to me, are the real reason test teams thump the often 'great on paper' barbarians and club teams beat 'A' touring sides.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The past two pages are some of the stupidest posts I have ever read on this site, an absolute knee jerk reaction to a couple of comments taken out of context which are designed to show his support for his current employer as they prepare to play in a Grand Final.

When he signed for the Rebels, he was quoted as saying “I played Rugby until my late teens so I’m very much looking forward to making a Rugby career with the Rebels.”

If money was his only driver, he'd been in France making a truckload more (see Sisa Waqa, Grenoble). He wanted to stay in Melbourne, and the Rebels gave him a better contract offer than the Storm, plus he gets to return to his original sport. Hardly makes him a mercenary.

And FWIW, Cheika has been making all sorts of 'promises' to the likes of Koroibete, Rona, Houston and Fitzgerald; refer the latter two for evidence of those promises potentially being broken. I suppose the difference is that he knows what to say to a player, 'e.g. I promise we will very seriously consider you for the Spring Tour.'

Marika will be an absolute asset to this code and to the Rebels, and anybody saying otherwise has a serious chip on their shoulder

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It is an interesting point you make about what Cheika is saying to players. He is having definite success enticing players back/across with a view to playing for the Wallabies.

But I assume he is quite clear in what he does and doesn't offer them. To my knowledge there have been no instances of players blowing up that things didn't work out as they were promised and Cheika seems to have the confidence and good will of the players, so I assume whatever undertakings he is giving to players are clearly framed and understood.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Going back a couple of years, and I think we could suggest Tala Gray was shortchanged by a Chieka promise, gave up a couple of years of good European money for a Super opportunity that never came.