• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What a choice a drug user or a twit who made some large (but not all) contributions to the loss some good people and the loss of shit loads of cash.

Can we wipe the slate clean and dump the whole "professional" lot of them and start again?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is not much on offer. I reckon we will see Quade and Beale spending time there.
KB (Kurtley Beale) could be the long term 10. I know we have seen him there before with little success, but he has matured as a player and has the game for it. That could well be the plan Cheika has for him?
Kurtley with Kerevi and Hodge outside him would be interesting.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I think 12 would be the best position for Khunt for Wallabies, unmatched aggression in defence similiar to To'omua and more attacking threat- I think he would offer more than Hodge.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Khunt. Out of left field, but the guy is a real pro. I reckon he could handle it pretty well.
Yeah hunt consistently playing well this season in poor performing team so agree deserves a shot and calibre of player who could play most positions in backline and yes at 12 could see chance this could work. Got to reward his form with wallaby gig if he keeps up current form.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah hunt consistently playing well this season in poor performing team so agree deserves a shot and calibre of player who could play most positions in backline and yes at 12 could see chance this could work. Got to reward his form with wallaby gig if he keeps up current form.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Regardless of who is available or not at 10 for the Wallabies this year, I hope Karmichael is in the Wallaby squad a lot this year - he has really impressed this year and seems like a pretty smart footy player who could offer some good options.

T

TOCC

Khunt. Out of left field, but the guy is a real pro. I reckon he could handle it pretty well.

Not exactly left field, he was selected in the Wallabies squad last June and people have been throwing his name about since the Brisbane 10s

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Article from Wayne Smith in the Australia this moring:

“The structured game was absolutely what killed the opposition,” he said. “We were smart. We manipulated defences and we got on with it. Now the game has got to the point where only 60 per cent is structured, while the other 40 per cent is unstructured.
“All around the country, I watch teams doing their lineouts, doing their lineout drives. But they’re not doing any plays in an unstructured environment.
“We need to upskill our players, get them into that 40 per cent part of the game. We’re scoring on the structured part of the game. We have plenty of players who can fill five teams and we have to find a way to keep five teams going.

This is a really frustrating. The first question is why? But secondly why isn't he doing anything about it?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think 12 would be the best position for Khunt for Wallabies, unmatched aggression in defence similiar to To'omua and more attacking threat- I think he would offer more than Hodge.

I thought he could be very good as our "Conrad Smith", let Kerivi crash ball from 12 with Khunt being able to get the width.

Kerevi would have less hard defensive decisions at 12 (his weakness) and could just focus on tackling and running

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Article from Wayne Smith in the Australia this moring:

This is a really frustrating. The first question is why? But secondly why isn't he doing anything about it?

Byrne can recommend aspects to be trained, if the franchises or not decide to adopt them is another matter. They are essentially independent entities after all. Most of the current coaches in Australia (head and assistant) were involved in the golden era of Australian rugby where there was an undeniable commitment to a structured style of play. Many of the men in positions of power were also involved in this period. It's was super successful. Getting these coaches to move away from this philosophy might be near of impossible. South Africa I believe is suffering from the same issues. Sometimes you have to realize what worked then doesn't work now, games evolve.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Rebels3 while i understand the importance super teams to have their independence in how they play what MB is taking about is a lack of basic skills. The ARU should be stepping in here. It's not helping anyone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what team we end up with in June.

Certain players are tracking really well to debut or make the squad.

From the Reds, Hunt and Higgers are really pushing their case to be in the 23 and Paia'aua should be in the squad. The incumbent Reds test locks are tracking in the other direction. If Genia comes back midyear he will be the starting 9.

From the Brumbies, Sam Carter is having a really strong season and will be back in the squad. Henry Speight should be on one wing. Certainly the form winger from an Aussie team and getting right back to his best form from a few years ago. With a lack of halfbacks, Joe Powell must be a chance of making the squad again. Scott Fardy is back to some great form and must come into calculations for the 6 jersey again.

From the Tahs, Tolu Latu is about the only player boosting his chances. Expect him to be the bench hooker (I'd be surprised if Cheika moves on from Moore as captain this year). Hopefully Folau is looked at for the wing. Jake Gordon must be close to making the squad having pushed ahead of Phipps.

From the Force, Coleman will be a starting lock once he is back from injury. DHP is playing well and will feature somewhere. Jono Lance will be in the squad and if Foley doesn't get right, he could be the starting 10. Bill Meakes has to make the squad and will be putting serious pressure on the contenders for the 12 jersey.

From the Rebels, I need to see more of Timani following his return from injury but the 8 jersey might not be a walk up starter right now with Higgers playing really well. Reece Hodge's form has been decent without being great. He'll be in the squad but there's a lot of competition for the 12 jersey this season.

Beale will be back for the June tests and his form is pretty great right now. He was Wasps best player against Leinster and his broken field running from fullback is close to being back to his best. I would be very tempted to play him at 15 with some of the 12 options available for the Wallabies and have two of Folau, DHP and Speight on the wings.

Potential Wallabies 23:

1. Sio
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham
9. ??? Genia/Gordon/Powell/Phipps
10. Foley/Lance
11. Folau
12. Meakes
13. Kerevi/Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Beale

16. Latu
17. Ala'alatoa
18. Robertson
19. Carter
20. Timani
21. Gordon/Powell/Phipps
22. Hodge
23. Haylett-Petty

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
With Higgers' skill set, and his good form, I think he fits the Wallaby team better as a 6 than an 8. Unless the Wallabies change their system.

I can't actually think of any standouts for our number 8 role. Maybe Alcock would work? Still, he's a bit of a journeyman. Stick with Timani I guess.

Note: The Wallaby 8 plays mid field as a ball carrier, whereas the 6 plays wide and would ideally be a line out jumper. See this - http://www.therugbysite.com/blog/ne...and-combat-the-wallabies-1-3-3-1-attack-shape

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you could also go a backrow of Higgers/Hooper/Timani.

Fardy's breakdown presence is a benefit though.

I'm leaving Timani out of the starting XV at this point because he hasn't really played so I haven't seen his 2017 form. It will also be interesting to see how McMahon returns. Clearly he will be in the squad and could easily be in the 23 if he returns well.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hope Karmichael is in the Wallaby squad a lot this year - he has really impressed this year and seems like a pretty smart footy player who could offer some good options.

yeah, he is one of the very few in Australian rugby with the smarts and vision and the ability to read the game. QC (Quade Cooper) can, Foley to a lesser extent, none of the half backs, amongst the forwards, Higgenbotham and Hopper.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Regardless of who is available or not at 10 for the Wallabies this year, I hope Karmichael is in the Wallaby squad a lot this year - he has really impressed this year and seems like a pretty smart footy player who could offer some good options.

And surely given that the June Tests are against teams we are likely to beat (Scotland will be absent its best players out with the BIL), sensible experimentation with selection is both smart and essential.

Commercially and strategically the Wallabies/ARU/Aus rugby generally cannot afford another very poor year like 2016.

We have 2 home Bleds this year (second in Brisbane in October). Everything, just everything, must be done in the attempt to win both. By the time that pattern is repeated, on current trends and outcomes, who knows what the state of the code here will then amount to.