• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't get the agitation from some on the squad. Wait, actually, I do. It's entirely predictable.

Certain people work themselves into a lather about certain selections every year. Inevitably we end up debating the blokes who were picked 32nd, 33rd and 34th in the process, and bemoaning the fate of the guys who were 35th, 36th and 37th in the pecking order.

Said players generally spend their time suited up on the sideline throughout the winter.

It's all a bit much. Then again, it's this type of debate that keeps the wheels turning on here, so who am I to argue?

Absolutely. Most of the discussion is around the last choice backrower and centre, neither of which you'd favour to play a test in June.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^ Such a brilliant observation BaaBaa. I'd be surprised if the most active discussions about selections over the past few years weren't to do with Hooper/Pocock for the No 7 spot, or anyone in place of Dean Mumm in the side. None of whom were rated 32 - 37 at the time. The main discussion this time is clearly about the omission of Scott Fardy, and I'm sure there would only be a very small minority who think he is outside the top 23 in the country this year. Otherwise, this time around I think there is much more agreement and satisfaction with the squad than you perhaps are making out.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
So, if Quade and Nabuli are on the field at the same time, what are the odds the Wallabies will be down to 14 men thanks to a brain fade? Does it just double the 5% chance that Quade normally brings or is there a greater statistical increase?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's probably safer to assume that Dempsey is a replacement for McMahon who would have certainly been named if he didn't get injured on the weekend.

If you're looking at 6 options that have been included instead of Fardy, I'd be looking at Higginbotham and Hanigan as the two inclusions who have been picked ahead of him.

I'd say that Dempsey and Godwin are equally the least likely backrower and centre to get picked in a matchday 23 during June. Both are there to continue their development from the EOYT.

I agree that Meakes or Paia'aua could have easily been picked ahead of Godwin but we're talking about someone at the fringe of the squad so it isn't really a substantive issue in my opinion.

Nah - I reckon Hardwick is the replacement for McMahon. Plays all back row positions, is probably harder at the ball and in the tackle than Dempsey, and I think Cheika even nominated Hardwick as cover for No 7. Dempsey and Hanigan offer the same with both very good runners of the ball and good lineout options. Hanigan has earned his selection with a string of eye-catching performances while Dempsey was out injured. For balance, the team/squad would be better served with RHP in there in place of Dempsey, who will get his chances next year and beyond.

I agree that there is little at issue otherwise with the squad. i just don't think Kyle is playing good enough for the Brumbies to justify his spot on the squad. But Cheika did mention something about his left foot kicking game, so there is some basis. But just ignore the fact that most of his kicks simply ricochet off the first defender coming at him. :( He does have a good long clearing kick on him when needed, but his attempts at grubbers in the line should see him threatened with having his left foot chopped off.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree that Hardwick is the replacement for McMahon. He will almost certainly be used as a bench forward who can play all 3 back row positions. Potentially going forward his greatest strength - his versatility - will potentially be his greatest weakness - not been able to knuckle down a specific role. He is the perfect bench forward and i can see him playing this role for years to come, just like i see Hodge eventually playing this role for the backs. Hardwick and Hodge off the bench in 2019 WC, will add some dynamic punch off the bench and flexibility it'll be a real strength for the Wallabies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We make a lot of assumptions about who should and shouldn't be picked on here. If you talk to anyone who's ever played test rugby, they'll almost all tell you that the big steps up are in the facets of tempo, pressure, and structure - physicality a fair way back behind those. Some players get tested at test level and can't handle it for those reasons, so it's more than just their playing skills and attributes and form that come into play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nah - I reckon Hardwick is the replacement for McMahon.

So you think Hardwick only got drafted into the squad on Saturday after McMahon got injured?

I don't. I think he's been a likely inclusion for a while and would have been in the squad that also included McMahon.

I really think Dempsey would be the guy who made the squad because of McMahon's injury on Saturday. I don't think it is about like for like or anything to do with that, it's purely about pecking order.

Dempsey was obviously higher on the pecking order last year but he has missed most of this season through injury which is why I think he's the last backrower included.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
So you think Hardwick only got drafted into the squad on Saturday after McMahon got injured?

I don't. I think he's been a likely inclusion for a while and would have been in the squad that also included McMahon.

I really think Dempsey would be the guy who made the squad because of McMahon's injury on Saturday. I don't think it is about like for like or anything to do with that, it's purely about pecking order.

Dempsey was obviously higher on the pecking order last year but he has missed most of this season through injury which is why I think he's the last backrower included.

I think most people think Dempsey would be the one to go, however i interpreted Brumby Runners comments as in relation to the 23.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think most people think Dempsey would be the one to go, however i interpreted Brumby Runners comments as in relation to the 23.

I would guess that Hanigan could be the most likely to be the bench backrower in the first test and would cover that role.

In that regard, Hanigan is preferred to RHP as the replacement for Fardy.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dempsey would be a great Mr.Fixit from the bench, covering 6/7 and in a pinch 8, but couldn't really start in the Fardy/Mumm role Chieka likes (3rd jumper + wide channel runner). Higgers and Hanigan fit this role substantially better.

I personally thought RHP would be the ideal fit for this role (plus he's played a lot of 8 if injuries happen), but the Wallabies selectors have a better idea of what they're trying to achieve and with who.

Knowing the kind of game plan Chieks has played in the past, I feel this squad is sensible. I am praying for a different game plan though, one that involved 2 ball runner centres (Kuridrani and Kerevi) and maybe a Hodge type as 2nd play maker at 15. From there name Folau at wing, and shuffle everyone around on D like they already do.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Im expecting the pack to look like this

1 Sio (Smith if injured)
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Coleman
5 Arnold
6 Hanigan
7 Hooper
8 Higgers

16 Latu
17 Smith (Robertson if Sio injured)
18 AAT
19 Carter
20 Hardwick
21 Timani

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Im expecting the pack to look like this

1 Sio (Smith if injured)
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Coleman
5 Arnold
6 Hanigan
7 Hooper
8 Higgers

16 Latu
17 Smith (Robertson if Sio injured)
18 AAT
19 Carter
20 Hardwick
21 Timani

I suspect we will see Timani at 8 and Higgers at 6.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I like the squad, but like many others would have Fardy in my squad. I think Dempsey is a good player, but lucky on this occasion. The guy I would specifically omit is Godwin, who's solid enough but really not shone for two years, either in Super rugby or NRC. Meakes as a like for like, or David P. from the reds for more veratility.
Those looking for a lock/6 option, I think Hanigan fills that role, having been a lock for most of his career, but now playing 6 at super level.
While Cheika said going overseas next year had no effect, the omission of Fardy, Skelton and Horne leaves me pretty sceptical.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
OK - last thoughts on the back row, at least until we see how they go in the tests. My opinion only, but yes, I think Hardwick not Dempsey is the replacement for Fardy. Dempsey is there because Cheika likes him and he was on last year's EOYT - ie, he is there in his own right as a continuing development player. Very lucky imo as he apparently hasn't played any Super Rugby at all this year.

I think the starting back row for Fiji will be, 6 Higgers, 7 Hooper, 8 Timani with Hanigan on the bench. Higgers and Timani might be swapped.

D

daz

To me, this is the most disappointing year in my long support of rugby in Australia. This team and these rabbit tests brings no excitement to me. To be fair and under Cheika we (Wallabies) have regressed to the same type of level as the teams we are playing. For the past 15 years or so I have attended all tests in Australia and many around the world including a few World Cups and spent a shitload doing so.

Hmm. Have we already forgotten the Robbie Deans era? Funny how the post above could actually have been taken verbatim from those glory days!

Ah, back when just mentioning RD or Quade Cooper on these fori was basically a mental trigger for all and sundry to go nuclear. 300 pages was merely a period of warming up the vitriol.

The GAGR Banhammer was covered in 'tard blood on a constant basis.

Those were the days, my friend.

;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hmm. Have we already forgotten the Robbie Deans era? Funny how the post above could actually have been taken verbatim from those glory days!

Ah, back when just mentioning RD or Quade Cooper on these fori was basically a mental trigger for all and sundry to go nuclear. 300 pages was merely a period of warming up the vitriol.

The GAGR Banhammer was covered in 'tard blood on a constant basis.

Those were the days, my friend.

;)

bruce_springsteen-glory_days_s.jpg

Reactions: daz

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Im actually excited about this team, there's a real look of actually having some hard nosed, not going to take a backward step about them. Some players i am confident can gain at least parity in the contact zone. For too long we picked high work rate/low impact or high impact/low work rate players (Simmons, Mumm, Horne, etc). This pack although young and far from AB's level in a step in the right direction. Aus rugby is on it's knees but these 34 aren't the reason for that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nothing much controversial in this squad bar perhaps Fardy. Non-controversial does not mean confidence inspiring.

When is Scotland? Real banana skin there.

No Soup team has been more than uninspiring. WBs 2017 are part of the same brew.