• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Am I the only one surprised by the absolute meteoric rise of Uelese? I understand he's probably included in the squad in the same way as Tupou or Magnay etc. But after watching all his performances at the Rebels I stil don't think he's the same quality as those other youngsters.

Who else is there?

Ready is having second season syndrome
Latu has had issues at the back end of the season

Mafi? first season, a few games
The rest are old men or have just not shown enough

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What happened to Scoble? I thought he looked promising.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not suggesting he is in anyway in consideration here, but I thought he might be a semi regular starter for the Force this year, but I can't recall him getting much time at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What happened to Scoble? I thought he looked promising.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not suggesting he is in anyway in consideration here, but I thought he might be a semi regular starter for the Force this year, but I can't recall him getting much time at all.

He fell behind TPN, Tessmann and Rangi this season.

I thought he was promising too, but ultimately I don't think he'll make it to test level.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Rangi looks good from what I have seen of him. Hope we see more of him.

Will see regarding Mafi. He has certainly made the most of his opportunity and credit to him for that.

Happy Moore has bowed out this way. I was looking like he was going the George Greagan route and hanging around to long as half the player he once was.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper will be the next Wallaby captain but its a pretty crappy decision in my view. Never seen much to suggest he is a good captain to date. Not commanding enough.

Would like to see Coleman or Carter personally. Carter has shown to be a good captain though the issue for him is he is in strong competition with Coleman and Arnold and not likely to be consistently holding down a starting spot ahead of them. Coleman is fresh and I think that could be a good thing for the Wallabies moving forward.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper has player misgivings. Coleman just too inexperienced and plays on the "edge".
Bloke who is not under threat is Foley. Seems level headed, genuinely respected by his peers, speaks well but I don't know if he would be considered.

He should be !

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
They're being run ragged, very exhausting. I think their time back at the clubs will be including a lot of rest!

I wonder if it is the Australian Cheika Warrior camps that have highlighted to Squeak that perhaps its time to retire from Test footy.?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Not sure about Hooper, not sure if he has the respect of the team. He would have to be the favourite though being Cheks boy.

As an alternative to Hooper I was trying to pick someone who the boys would follow and respect not unlike Ben Mowen.
Not a lot of choice, the only alternate player that I could see taking over the role for the series without creating discord would be Taf.
I watched him closely this year and he seemed a very good leader from afar both on and off the field.
Did he have any leadership roles at the Tahs?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Examples - almost every single one of them.

They almost all improve on their weaknesses as they play.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still wouldn't pass after 100 tests.

Do you honestly believe that no one can address their deficiencies, practice to eliminate them and therefore improve? Is that what you are actually saying, because that is what I am interpreting by your posts.

Haha.

"You want an example?! Here's a bloody example! (insert vague, proof-less sweeping statement)".

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) definitely did pass a lot more than he was given credit for. Foleys kick are definitely getting more distance than they did 2-3 years ago. Beale improved his defence out of sight in 2015/16/17.

Julian Savea is still a turnstyle in defence. So are Aaron Smith and Jordie Barrett and ALB when under pressure. Israel Dagg is very hot-and-cold under the high ball, Fekitoa has poor handling, Beaudan Barett still can't goal kick to an international standard.

Jantjies overplays his hand, Ford / Farrell can lose control of a game under pressure, Etzebeth is easily goaded into doing dumb shit, etc. etc.

Name almost any All Black / English / Welsh / South African player and I can probably find you a deficiency they've been known for their entire career.

Hooper has player misgivings. Coleman just too inexperienced and plays on the "edge".
!

Not sure about Hooper, not sure if he has the respect of the team. He would have to be the favourite though being Cheks boy.

Not necessarily doubting this view of Hooper, but I wonder what posters are basing this on?

Nothing to me shows that he doesn't have the respect of the players.

Coleman shouldn't be given the captaincy IMO. Captaincy tends to dull the enforcers ability to enforce.

Wouldn't mind Foley as a VC. He's been very active in (trying atleast) to uphold standards at the Tahs this year and he's been very talkative on the field.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My issue with Hooper as captain is not him setting the right examples as a player or any of that, it's some questionable option taking at times (like in knocking back points and going for the lineout nearly every time) and the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to control the discipline of the players. We have been shockingly undisciplined at times and I've even heard refs tell Hoops that it's not their problem and he should sort it out!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper will be the next Wallaby captain but its a pretty crappy decision in my view. Never seen much to suggest he is a good captain to date. Not commanding enough.

Would like to see Coleman or Carter personally. Carter has shown to be a good captain though the issue for him is he is in strong competition with Coleman and Arnold and not likely to be consistently holding down a starting spot ahead of them. Coleman is fresh and I think that could be a good thing for the Wallabies moving forward.

If it wasn't for the Captaincy I'd even go as far to say Carter would be struggling to hold a spot at the Brumbies. Enever and Staniforth are great prospects.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My issue with Hooper as captain is not him setting the right examples as a player or any of that, it's some questionable option taking at times (like in knocking back points and going for the lineout nearly every time) and the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to control the discipline of the players. We have been shockingly undisciplined at times and I've even heard refs tell Hoops that it's not their problem and he should sort it out!

The option taking is an interesting question, I agree that knocking back point is fraught with danger, especially at test level. But it appears to be the way many of the SH sides are playing at the moment. The Hurricanes is one example, in last weeks game they said that they had kicked from penalty less than 10 times all season.

I think if his coaches actually had an issue with it, it would change in a heartbeat. The runners would be out there saying "kick your f*cking goals" at the next break. But you hear more talk about momentum and intent, than missed opportunities of keeping the score board ticking over.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If it wasn't for the Captaincy I'd even go as far to say Carter would be struggling to hold a spot at the Brumbies. Enever and Staniforth are great prospects.

I disagree, I think Carter is the bed rock of the Brumbies pack. You get the same solid consistent efforts from him every week and you need guys who just do that work and can be relied on.

I think that is why Douglas is in the training camp as well, these guys too often get overlooked for someone who drops in and out of games, but shows flashes of brilliance (like Dempsey and some of the young Qld locks) and then become invisible. We see a big run or hit and don't see the guys cleaning out or as with Douglas at the Tahs, shooting in defense and bashing 10s all game.