• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH, you are concerned that the ARU will fast track a decision on Ledesma's replacement, but Cheika has been quoted as saying he will be making the decision and that he is already in talks. I think the ARU will be effectively sidelined in this matter.

Any ndws on the availability of Andrew or Cameron Blades?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good news, a quote from the Guardian:

"The fact that an 18‑year‑old with just five Premiership starts under his belt is already on England’s radar may suggest a deeper problem"

At least Australian aren't the only ones completely incapable of producing 10s.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

"The fact that an 18‑year‑old with just five Premiership starts under his belt is already on England’s radar may suggest a deeper problem"

Marcus Smith's rise is more to the fact that the kid is an absolute talent than their lack of depth.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

But that guy is a freak and already doing great for Saracens

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

Maybe. Lots of International 10s in and about the Prem. Lots of Coaches preferring players who really should be centers for the purpose of International Rugby (Mallinder, Slade etc.) As either first stringers or backups too.

It's a very strange environment. Particularly when someone like Lozowski is playing backup to Farrell, but middle of the road options like AJ MacGinty and Tom Heathcote are the number ones at Sale and Worcester.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still wonder what these guys do from June to December

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Well, according to that article Laurie Fisher went to work before his contract started doing skills work with players.........

Also, teams that reach the finals may need a coach.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well, according to that article Laurie Fisher went to work before his contract started doing skills work with players...

Also, teams that reach the finals may need a coach.

Sorry, but my cynicism is high on this, change it to July to December if you will, but a couple of skill drills for 5 months?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Super Rugby teams don't shut up shop when the season finishes.

The players get a couple of weeks off and then commence preparations for next season.

They then get another break at the end of the year over Christmas as far as I know.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Super Rugby teams don't shut up shop when the season finishes.

The players get a couple of weeks off and then commence preparations for next season.

They then get another break at the end of the year over Christmas as far as I know.

Whereas the kiwis sides are just out playing rugby

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Whereas the kiwis sides are just out playing rugby

I'm not too sure what you Southerners do, but if the Reds don't make the finals, the players (excluding the Wallabies) are sent back to their Clubs. Once Club rugby is done, NRC kicks off.

I don't expect players to be playing more than 30 weekends a year to be honest. Any more than that and their bodies will be completely ruined and will be spending too much time in recovery rather than development.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I watched Shane Arnold take the Reds boys through a kicking session a couple of weeks ago, so he's still doing work.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Great to see Ledesma leave.

Our scrum hasn't really consistently improved since he was scrum coach. Only Chek would keep a bloke like that (based on his performances).

Stiles would be a better choice than Blades.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Great to see Ledesma leave.

Our scrum hasn't really consistently improved since he was scrum coach. Only Chek would keep a bloke like that (based on his performances).

Stiles would be a better choice than Blades.

What the hell. We went from a scrum that was the laughing stock of the rugby world to an absolute weapon in the 2015 RWC with his introduction. It's been relatively consistent ever since. He's easily the least contentious of the assistant coaches. Easy to see why he's walked into the Jaguares role and is earmarked for the Pumas.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't it go from being pretty dire prior to the RWC to being competitive with everyone and dominant against some?

The Italy test this year is really the only time we have been dusted up at scrum time.

Our scrum also got pummeled by the AB's, and by the Boks in the fist test........ But otherwise our scrum has generally been competitive since Ledesma came on board, and he made a huge impact when he first started.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What the hell. We went from a scrum that was the laughing stock of the rugby world to an absolute weapon in the 2015 RWC with his introduction. It's been relatively consistent ever since. He's easily the least contentious of the assistant coaches. Easy to see why he's walked into the Jaguares role and is earmarked for the Pumas.

WTF
Bloke was a lemon
Get an Aussie in there - here is a couple of good options there.
IMO if there is an Australian who can do the job better than some overseas chap then give him the gig.

Reputations are often overrated and there must be some fluidity in transferring knowledge.