• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If we really want to save some money we can always call on Knuckles again. I am sure he would come pretty cheap.
After the rugby championship, I would like on behalf of all oz fans who criticised the wallabies coaches (cheika, Grey, larkham etc) I would like to apologise for suggesting you are the wrong coaches. We got it wrong and by your performances (after a dismal oz super rugby performance) deserve nothing but our praise and respect.

Thank you for helping to restore faith in the wallabies.

Yours Nutter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Cooper wasn't considered because he is captain of the other side. DP deserves a call up because he is playing the house down. But as a inside centre.

Yes, I’m a massive Paia’aua fan, but consider him at inside centre.. not fly half..

he strength is his running game, his distribution is good for a 12 but not good for a 10. That was found out when he played there for the Reds. If Cheika tries playing him there at Test level then the exact same thing will happen. I feel sorry for players selected to play positions they aren’t suited for, it reflects worse on them then it does the coach.

Like I said, if Cheika is considering Paia’aua for a 10, then he should have considered Cooper or Lance. This match hasn’t developed overnight, if Quade knew he was in consideration(which he said he wasn’t) then he wouldn’t have agree to plan for the Barbarians.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
After the rugby championship, I would like on behalf of all oz fans who criticised the wallabies coaches (cheika, Grey, larkham etc) I would like to apologise for suggesting you are the wrong coaches. We got it wrong and by your performances (after a dismal oz super rugby performance) deserve nothing but our praise and respect.

Yours Nutter

Don’t include me in you apologists.
I don’t recall seeing Paia’aua play: I’m sure you’ll forgive me for not going out of my way to watch the Reds these last few years.
Posters seem to think he’s no 10 and I’ll go with that until I see enough to know differently.
If that’s the consensus what does Cheika see in him at 10 that they don’t? Surely we don’t need more cover at 12? We have Beale, Hunt, Hodge and the next cab on that rank has to be Meakes: so where does Paia’aua fit?..

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)

Yours Nutter

I hate to be that guy but nah.
They restored the faith lost by losing to Scotland and nearly to Italy by beating the jaguares and nearly winning 3 matches and getting towelled up in another?

This is just the latest false dawn of nothingness that has epitomised the Cheika era.

Anyone willing to bet Cheika won't blame the ref if we lose Bled 3.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Cheika won't just 'chuck him (DP) in at 10 and see how he goes'. Look how long he spent getting Koroibete ready before he threw him into the cauldron.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Cheika won't just 'chuck him (DP) in at 10 and see how he goes'. Look how long he spent getting Koroibete ready before he threw him into the cauldron.

The exception rather than the rule. The rule is more along the lines of Hanigan, Uelese, Rona, Rodda, Nabuli etc. in 2017. I think it's not so much "let's see how this one goes" but more of a case of you select a player who think has the right skill set when you need them. Problem is 60%+ of Cheiks contentious selection calls have not really paid off.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Guy gets given time in the training squad because he has been playing bloody well, this joint start having aneurysms that he will be played out of position in some glorified trial

4uw5.jpg

T

TOCC

With your usual flair you totally miss the point. We were talking about young up and comers.

You said there are no alternative options for 5/8.. which is bullshit because Cooper and Lance are.. if you were talking about young and up comers, then Mason, Tayler and Stewart have all played more time at 5/8.

T

TOCC

Guy gets given time in the training squad because he has been playing bloody well, this joint start having aneurysms that he will be played out of position in some glorified trial

You’ve missed it.
People are happy that a player is rewarded for their form, but shifting a 12 to 10 is a significant shift and one which has been tried at Super Rugby level and didn’t go well. Why not just play/groom an inform player in the position he is suited and currently plays. That’s what’s silly about it.

As for this been a glorified trial, well for those selected to play in this match, especially those on debut you can be assured they won’t be treating it just as a glorified trial, it’s reward of hard work. Playing Duncan at 10 and him having a bad game, will undoubtedly reflect worse on him then it would the coach. But, no young player would ever say no to the opportunity.