• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

Who are the wallabies hookers going forward.. TPN to Leicester and Moore retired...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Who are the wallabies hookers going forward.. TPN to Leicester and Moore retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TPN is Giteau claused. The only 2 tests he'll miss between now and the RWC are the 3rd bled next year and possibly one EOYT test. Otherwise its open season. Could be any of: Mafi, Ready, Uelese, F Fainga'a, Rangi, Latu and Roach. Don't think anyone else is in the frame.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No one standing out either, really/ Uelese would appear the best prospect from extremely limited sample. I dunno what has happened to Latu be he looked bang on towards the end of last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No one standing out either, really/ Uelese would appear the best prospect from extremely limited sample. I dunno what has happened to Latu be he looked bang on towards the end of last year.

He has spent most of the second half of this year injured. Clearly he is going to need to work very strongly on his fitness for when he returns next year. Given his body shape it will always be his Achilles heel. I definitely think he'll be back in the frame next year though.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So, aside from our high quality starting side now, we're starting to build some serious depth as well. Current 23, with backups:

1. Sio - Slipper - Robertson
2. Taf - Uelese - Latu - Ready - Hanson
3. Kepu - Alaalaatoa - Thor -
4. Coleman - Arnold - Enever - Rodda - Staniforth
5. Simmons - Tui - Phillip - Carter - Douglas - R Arnold

That's a beast of a tight five with pretty much any of those combinations. Laurie Fischer will be working again with the Brumbies portion of that lot so i suspect they'll all step up a notch next year and into the future. And holy shit the depth of second rowers available. Only 2 years ago Simmons was first picked *vomits*

6. Hanigan - Dempsey - Tui - Rodda - Valentini
7. Sir George Smith - Hooper - Pocock - Fainga'a - Dempsey - McMahon - Gill
8. McMahon - Pocock - Timani - Higgers - Naisirani

Expecting a Valntini and Naisirani to break into the starting 23 next year, and Pocock into that mix as well, with our top choice options being Hooper, Cock, Dempsey, Naisirani, Valentini and Tui. Again, Fischer working with 2 of the most promising rookies since Vaea, expect them to add technical finesse to their raw power and aggression.

9. Genia - Phipps - Powell - Gordon - Lonergan - Tuttle
10. Foley - Cooper - Lealiifano - Hodge - DP
11. Hodge - Folau - Naivalu - DHP - Banks
12. Beale - Hunt - Kerevi - DP - Lealiifano
13. Kuridrani - Folau - Hunt - DP (I Think he could be an excellent Conrad Smith/BOD style 13 outside Kerevi at 12) - Perese
14. Koirobete - Speight - Perese
15. Folau - Beale - Hunt - Banks

Even down to our 3rd option in every position, we can still field a very decent 23.

In terms of playing stocks, we're well set with all the depth on show in the NRC. What we need now is to ensure every player is being coached at their Super province by a proper quality coach.

Brumbies - Fischer, McKellar, Palmer and Ryan is a decent but unspectacular coaching team. Forwards will benefit hugely though.

Reds - Thorn et al. Thorn seems to have done well with QC (Quade Cooper) this year. Not just winning because of quality players, but he's made each of those players step up their game and teamwork. Watching the final last night, after the break I swear I could see Thorn himself smashing into rucks and taking hit ups. If has a similar effect at the Reds, they could be terrifying with their roster.

Rebels - Wessels as done well, but his hype train looks like the morning train into Bombay. Really interested to see how he goes with a high quality roster of players, no offence to the Force fans. He did similarly well to Thorn with QC (Quade Cooper) in that he got his players stepping up beyond their previous abilities, but lets see how he goes with the Rebels. Has no excuse, their roster looks powerful.

Tahs - hmm. Likewise, very powerful squad but i'm unconvinced by Gibson's ability to control his team of football players. Grey will need to really fix his department.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
biggest omission there for me is the lack of Ruru/Louwrens, both of whom I believe could overtake Powell. I think both would have had they not been injured and gotten a chance.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Louwrens and Ruru are Will Genia type players, almost another backrower in many plays. Powell is more like Phipps. The selections when all are available will probably reflect how the coaching staff want to start and finish a game. Gordon is probably also in the Phipps/Powell grouping.

I thought otherwise, that Grey had left the Tahs coaching staff. Am I mistaken?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Few fantasy suggestions there, although I agree the depth building, especially in some critical forward positions is excellent - notably locks and 6. 8 remains an issue although obviously Naisarani is a huge prospect.
Gill - is OS and not gonna be back in the short term. If you're gonna include a player like that, what about To'omua?
George Smith - I doubt we will see him get picked in a Test squad going forward, despite still playing at a very high level. Just cannot see it happening.
You have some backs in multiple positions which again, I cannot really see being considered. Notably Folau at 13, Paia'aua at 13.
And I agree with upthereds#! about the 9 options. Lonergan and Tuttle would be long shots I reckon, as well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How was Phipps/Powell similar? Powell is a stable decision maker and good passer and Phipps is a somewhat wonky passer and decision maker but adds speed and energy that Powell doesn't have.

I wonder is Nic White will be back soon

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
4. Coleman - Arnold - Enever - Rodda - Staniforth
5. Simmons - Tui - Phillip - Carter - Douglas - R Arnold

Richie Arnold had a delayed pro start but that gap has closed.

He's every bit as good as his twin brother and in the top half of those locks named.

It's a crime that he doesn't have a team.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

He's every bit as good as his twin brother and in the top half of those locks named.

his 'twin' brother is over-rated. And this is coming from a Brumbies supporter. He has 1-2 moments of impact a game then goes missing for the rest. At the moment a perfect bench option but has a lot to work on to become a solid 80min player. Potential is all there though, but there's potential from many up-and-coming locks too. The question is who's going to reach it first? It won't happen given he's the Captain and a solid super xv player but I wish the Brumbies dropped Carter to the bench and further developed Arnold and Enever.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
TPN is Giteau claused. The only 2 tests he'll miss between now and the RWC are the 3rd bled next year and possibly one EOYT test. Otherwise its open season. Could be any of: Mafi, Ready, Uelese, F Fainga'a, Rangi, Latu and Roach. Don't think anyone else is in the frame.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Isn't TPN going to Japan? That may be a good option for the longevity of this body playing a less physical game over there but it's also going to make it pretty damn hard for Cheika to gauge if he's up to the intensity Test level rugby brings. Given his age that's always going to be a question year by year. I wish he secured a Super XV spot.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
his 'twin' brother is over-rated. And this is coming from a Brumbies supporter. He has 1-2 moments of impact a game then goes missing for the rest. At the moment a perfect bench option but has a lot to work on to become a solid 80min player.

I don't actually disagree with that.

There's a lot of unfinished items in that list of locks, though.

It won't happen given he's the Captain and a solid super xv player but I wish the Brumbies dropped Carter to the bench and further developed Arnold and Enever.

Some of those are names I think should be displaced in the pecking order. Although Enever still has more upside and could also step up.

My main point is Richie Arnold doesn't seem to have a contract.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How was Phipps/Powell similar? Powell is a stable decision maker and good passer and Phipps is a somewhat wonky passer and decision maker but adds speed and energy that Powell doesn't have.

I wonder is Nic White will be back soon
Wonder if hes recovered from that box kick to lose the game against the All Blacks a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Richie Arnold had a superb game for Perth Spirit in their semi final. I agree surely logic has it Richie Arnold will end up at another Super Rugby side....particularly now ARU talking about expanding squads next year to accommodate Force players

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Richie Arnold had a superb game for Perth Spirit in their semi final. I agree surely logic has it Richie Arnold will end up at another Super Rugby side..particularly now ARU talking about expanding squads next year to accommodate Force players

Surely they would have announced expanded squads by now.... but then again it is the ARU.