• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Beales best performances in 2017 were when he attacked and defended at 12, he had a simple and clear role.

Then they changed the defensive pattern and shifted Beale to defend on the wing and Foley on the other wing, things were over complicated and it fell apart a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stark, indeed.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think we can agree that we will have Genia, Foley & Beale at 9, 10 & 12 - and they will manage the clearances. Hopefully we can get our defensive ruck cleaned up so Genia can be first choice.

I have never seen the point in passing it back 15m to kick it 40m. Using the 9 also puts the chase in play while sending it back makes everyone stand still.

We will see a master class in this play from Murray in June

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

What i wouldn't give to steal Murray and Sexton. Proper Test players them.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe i am blind when it comes to players, but i wouldn't take Murray over Genia. Sexton however id take in a heartbeat over Foley. Murray is a fine player indeed but he has also (at both int and club level) had an armchair ride with his pack in front of him, we have seen what Genia can do (at the Reds in 2011, Australia at times and the Rebels at times this year) when he has a similar platform and its only surpassed by a certain AS and TP on the darkness kind in the world. Murray has never had to clean the ball up from a struggling scrum, never had to box kick without a solid ruck protection, watched his team get demolished in a counter rucked and a fly half (am a fan of Foley btw) that feels comfortable in the pocket to release pressure for the team with a 40m accurate kick, a pack that constantly wins the contact zone, etc.

Sexton is a master, probably the finest NH fly half since Wilkinson.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we can agree that we will have Genia, Foley & Beale at 9, 10 & 12 - and they will manage the clearances. Hopefully we can get our defensive ruck cleaned up so Genia can be first choice.

I have never seen the point in passing it back 15m to kick it 40m. Using the 9 also puts the chase in play while sending it back makes everyone stand still.

We will see a master class in this play from Murray in June

Genia's greatly improved box kicking definitely gives us a much needed exit option for the Wallabies.

Despite his very average form I reckon Kuridrani will still be the favourite to play 13 in the first test of the year. He has always risen to the occasion at test level and his defence is crucial.

Curtis Rona is a smokey to be involved again. He is quietly putting together a pretty strong season for the Tahs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe i am blind when it comes to players, but i wouldn't take Murray over Genia. Sexton however id take in a heartbeat over Foley. Murray is a fine player indeed but he has also (at both int and club level) had an armchair ride with his pack in front of him, we have seen what Genia can do (at the Reds in 2011, Australia at times and the Rebels at times this year) when he has a similar platform and its only surpassed by a certain AS and TP on the darkness kind in the world. Murray has never had to clean the ball up from a struggling scrum, never had to box kick without a solid ruck protection, watched his team get demolished in a counter rucked and a fly half (am a fan of Foley btw) that feels comfortable in the pocket to release pressure for the team with a 40m accurate kick, a pack that constantly wins the contact zone, etc.

Sexton is a master, probably the finest NH fly half since Wilkinson.

Bit harsh to judge Murray worse than Genia because he plays in a better team? He seems a better player to me and any suggestion Genia would be better given an equal platform is purely hypothetical.

I actually think the strategic kicking game those two would bring would completely change the Wallabies. We have all the tools to take advantage of it, Folau, a decent lineout (whoddathunkit?), pacy wingers etc.

Edit: i realize this is somewhat off topic.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, he has never shown the skill set of Nonu who could kick and pass and effectively play the NZ second 5/8 game.

The comparison was only in regards to being a better test player than Super Rugby player.......... there's no doubt he doesn't possess Nonu's skillset.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Genia's greatly improved box kicking definitely gives us a much needed exit option for the Wallabies.

Despite his very average form I reckon Kuridrani will still be the favourite to play 13 in the first test of the year. He has always risen to the occasion at test level and his defence is crucial.

Curtis Rona is a smokey to be involved again. He is quietly putting together a pretty strong season for the Tahs.
If Rona gets selected alongside Folau, Beale, and Foley expect the forum to crash under the volume of Waratah’s bias posts.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At this point of the season I think we could pencil in a fair number of Wallabies 23 players based on a combination of incumbency and form.

1/17. Slipper/Sio
2. TPN (known to be coming back for June).
3/18/extra squad prop. Kepu/Ala'alatoa/Tupou (all in good form. I would guess Tupou will be outside the 23 initially given the others have vastly more experience and are also playing well).
4/5/19 - Coleman/Philip/Simmons and Arnold/Rodda. This is pretty open at the moment but I think Simmons set piece work has been pretty good and he'll figure in the matchday 23. Tui's return will be interesting and hopefully he fires from the get go. I'd have Matt Philip as the form Aussie lock so far this year.
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9/21. Genia/Gordon - Phipps will have to play really well when he returns to push for a spot in the 23. I have little doubt he will be the third halfback in the squad given his experience.
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
15. Folau

6, 13, and 14 are the hardest positions to pick currently.

Caleb Timu could be the front runner for the 6 or 20 jersey given his excellent form. Dempsey will really have to play well over a few games to have a chance of figuring in June. Ned Hanigan has been playing pretty well and will be a chance of being in the 23 again primarily for his set piece work to balance Pocock and Hooper.

Hodge has been well down on form and could miss the 23 unless he improves.

DHP is probably the front runner for that 14 jersey as a second fullback but he will have to play well once he returns from his concussion problems.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Not far off I reckon there BH

2017 Test 1 against Fiji. Been a few falls from grace amongst this lot

Robertson
TPN
AAA
Carter
Coleman
Hanigan
Hooper
Higginbotham
Genia
Foley
Speight
Hunt
Kurindrani
DHP
Folau

Moore
Smith
Kepu
Arnold
Hardwick
Powell
Cooper
Hodge

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would love to see Izaia Perese @ 14.

I see him as the Wob's future 13, a bloody good unit

Hopefully he gets back on the field and shows enough

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree on his potential FP - although I am not sure he will be a better 13 than he will be a winger. Sometimes I think we are too quick to move really good wingers in. I also think you need a kicker in your back 3.

At this stage I more see him competing with Koriobete and I see Koriobete as being one of the first picked.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree on his potential FP - although I am not sure he will be a better 13 than he will be a winger. Sometimes I think we are too quick to move really good wingers in. I also think you need a kicker in your back 3.

At this stage I more see him competing with Koriobete and I see Koriobete as being one of the first picked.

We often start good young 13s on the wing to start.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At this point of the season I think we could pencil in a fair number of Wallabies 23 players based on a combination of incumbency and form.

1/17. Slipper/Sio
2. TPN (known to be coming back for June).
3/18/extra squad prop. Kepu/Ala'alatoa/Tupou (all in good form. I would guess Tupou will be outside the 23 initially given the others have vastly more experience and are also playing well).
4/5/19 - Coleman/Philip/Simmons and Arnold/Rodda. This is pretty open at the moment but I think Simmons set piece work has been pretty good and he'll figure in the matchday 23. Tui's return will be interesting and hopefully he fires from the get go. I'd have Matt Philip as the form Aussie lock so far this year.
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9/21. Genia/Gordon - Phipps will have to play really well when he returns to push for a spot in the 23. I have little doubt he will be the third halfback in the squad given his experience.
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
15. Folau

6, 13, and 14 are the hardest positions to pick currently.

Caleb Timu could be the front runner for the 6 or 20 jersey given his excellent form. Dempsey will really have to play well over a few games to have a chance of figuring in June. Ned Hanigan has been playing pretty well and will be a chance of being in the 23 again primarily for his set piece work to balance Pocock and Hooper.

Hodge has been well down on form and could miss the 23 unless he improves.

DHP is probably the front runner for that 14 jersey as a second fullback but he will have to play well once he returns from his concussion problems.

6, 7 and 8 really make my heart sink. Where the fuck are all the loose forwards these days eh?

Edit: Also, if Koro puts in a few more performances like he did against the 'Canes he'll be getting the punt quick smart.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
6, 7 and 8 really make my heart sink. Where the fuck are all the loose forwards these days eh?

Several of them playing for the Rebels and Brumbies aren't eligible to be picked by the Wallabies and the Waratahs haven't got a player in that position deserving of a spot (other than Hooper). Pretty much leaves the Reds back row vying for that 6/8 spot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hooper & Pocock are two of the best players in the world, we are just open to right selection to compliment those two

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We often start good young 13s on the wing to start.

Yeah - agree. But I also think we have a tendenancy to play great wingers in other positions with the sometimes mistaken view that we’ll get more out of them. JOC (James O'Connor) comes to mind. At one stage I thought he was genuinely one of the best two wingers in the world. He was never as good in any other position (again IMO).

T

TOCC

Just watch the JWC where Perese played primarily 13 and he looked out of position. Very good winger, but lacks some of the necessary skill sets required of a 13, specifically his passing and distribution is lacking.

His strengths are his balanced running style and strength in contact, his weaknesses at the moment are his passing and defence. He might play 13 in a few more years, but he has some fundamental skill sets to work on before then.