• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would have thought that based on form Hooper should be advised to step up for the WB 7 slot. If Pocock continues as he is with more game time, I just don't see how Hooper stacks up as the "form" 7.

This said, we seem kind of resigned to a Cheika Pooper. What happens next is that an intelligent opposition (The Irish certainly make that mark) will investigate the strengths and weaknesses of the Wallaby double 7 system.

Exploiting the double 7 will necessarily mean
a) being ready to attack our LHP in the scrum (Hooper is mobile and quick getting wide, but I'm not convinced he balances the power from the lock well).
b) being ready to use the line out as an offensive weapon

The scrum is something of an auction with the way things are travelling, you have to focus on it anyway. But the lineout focus puts added pressure on the Wallaby exit strategy. "Balance" to the loose forwards with a double 7 includes sorting out our kicking. Genia will need better protection - more effort required from the tight 5, and I'm not convinced that Foley/Beale is a quality solution for strategic kicking against a team like the Irish.

The Pooper impacts not just the loose forwards, but the tight 5 and the backline. I'd be thinking about how you mesh DHP and Hodge into that line.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
When it comes to team selection you normally pick the guy who is more consistent than the guy who can light up the field one game but drop the ball completely next week (e.g. Kurindrani is favoured over Kerevi). But if I was to pick a "highest potential team" I see this team as being it (bracketed players are those who are more consistent and, therefore, who I expect Cheika to select in the team come June):

1. Sio (Slipper)
2. TPN
3. Tupou (Kepu)
4. Coleman
5. Phillip
6. Tui (Dempsey)
7. Pocock (Hooper)
8. Timu (Pocock)
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. Kerevi (Kurindrani)
14. Folau (DHP)
15. DHP (Folau)
Those guys that made it into my "highest potential team" but who probably aren't going to start come June are the guys who I hope to see as regular starters in the team over the next couple of years. Quick note on Hooper vs Pocock, it's really splitting hairs as to who has the most potential but I reckon if Pocock is at his best (i.e. turning over ever second ruck) it's more devastating for the opposition than Hooper being in absolutely everything.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see Hanigan as a very good 5/6 hybrid bench option for this season

dunno who will be the starting 6, Dempsey, Higgers, Timu are all viable options

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think if we don't start with the Pooper we will certainly finish with it. NZ do this too with Cane & Savea but no-one as ever mentioned 'the Caveat' that I am aware of.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd like to see this tried and then the Pooper tried. See what works better.

This assumes that Cheika is likely to try something and not doggedly stick with it come hell or high water. He's just not very adaptable. If you look at the Irish (and the Scottish at times) they adapted their game plan to attack the teams they were playing, I don't remember the last time Cheika did something like that, he clearly comes from the rugby school of Yoda -- do or do not there is no try.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This assumes that Cheika is likely to try something and not doggedly stick with it come hell or high water. He's just not very adaptable. If you look at the Irish (and the Scottish at times) they adapted their game plan to attack the teams they were playing, I don't remember the last time Cheika did something like that, he clearly comes from the rugby school of Yoda -- do or do not there is no try.

Fucken hell bro, if you are gunna quote star wars at least get it right. Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I see Hanigan as a very good 5/6 hybrid bench option for this season

Hanigan reminds me of Mumm; jack of all trades, master of none. He doesn't have the impact nor physicality at this stage to play 5/6 or come from the bench to cover those spots.

T

TOCC

My 23 thus far in the season, given incumbency and form:

1. Alaalaatoa
2. Polota-Nau
3. Kepu

The Front Rowers:

Alaalaatoa has been very handy this season, is a strong scrummager and usurped Sio at the end of last season, did he not?

TPN and Kepu go without saying - class and experience.

Slipper to return to the fold after a strong season, pipping Robertson (who has regressed), Sio to join him on the bench, alongside BPN, who has been really effective in tight and in the set piece this year. Has impressed me the most of all the young hookers.

Tupou just not quite there yet, given the class frontrow stocks. After the RWC, Kepu will bugger off and he'll come into the 23 (if there are no injuries).

Alaalaatoa isn't a loose head prop(not these days anyway), he is a tight head prop and his scrummaging in 2018 hasn't being great, he has conceded a few tight-head scrums. In fact, AAA probably stands as the most to lose at this stage, with a good chance Tupou may take his spot as the reserve THP.

Slippers scrummaging has been solid and his workmate has been ahead of Sio's in 2018, Faulkner and Robertson will be scrapping it out for the squad position in the wallabies.

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu

16. Sio
17. BPA
18. Tupou/AAA

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Is that really true? He played 44 players last year.
Plenty of opportunity for plenty of players to make their case

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Most expensive bench player the world has ever seen:D

That's actually an interesting angle. There might be a fair bit of pressure on Cheika to find a place for both Hooper and Pocock given Hooper is captain and the whole Pocock contract kerfuffle (sp?).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's actually an interesting angle. There might be a fair bit of pressure on Cheika to find a place for both Hooper and Pocock given Hooper is captain and the whole Pocock contract kerfuffle (sp?).

They are the two best backrowers we have and Pocock was the best 8 we had running around before his holiday

They will be selected and starting

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love that there are still comments on facebook etc. that Hooper is actually a 12 or 13 not a 7.

They'll still be happening when he runs out for his 100th test in the 7 jersey.