• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is Rodda a dominating player? I don't recall any dominating hits or runs from the Ireland series. To me he's more of a workhorse type, that gets through the hard yards in tight. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't call him dominant in any way.
I actually think big Rorys form this seasons been the best out of the locks. He makes big hits big plays works hard and is a maul destoryer.. Id be picking him too start.. his so unlucky to be suspended for the first game againts ireland..come along way from biting someones ear.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that Arnold would have probably started in June instead of Rodda if he hasn't been suspended for the first test. He picked a terrible time to try and take someone's head off.

Will be interesting to see where he stands in terms of selection for the Bledisloe Cup.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd like to see Rory given a shot, maybe off the bench. My only reservation with him is his handling, he can be a bit of a goober and drops a few more than I'd like. But that can improve (he's already heaps better than he was).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree that Arnold would have probably started in June instead of Rodda if he hasn't been suspended for the first test. He picked a terrible time to try and take someone's head off.

Will be interesting to see where he stands in terms of selection for the Bledisloe Cup.
Given Rodda and Coleman performed admirably, i doubt he'd change it. But you never know.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given Rodda and Coleman performed admirably, i doubt he'd change it. But you never know.

Arnold finished the season very well and they've now essentially got a month in camp.

I definitely think Rodda is more likely to keep his spot but I don't think it is a fait accompli.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a broken record on this, but IMO Arnold was the form lock this year........... he was pretty outstanding for the Brumbies every week.

But I think he'll need to displace Rodda for a starting spot (again, IMO he should) as I can see why Cheika would want to have Simmons on the bench.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would start Coleman and Arnold with Simmons on the bench at this stage. There needs to be balance and a good amount of experience, consistency and set piece knowledge in a test second row.
Rodda is young and enthusiastic, much like Phillip and Enever. All excellent prospects
Arnold really should have been given a start in the third Irish test.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting the lack of love for Rodda. He’s been superb all year. IMO even better then Arnold, and I agree Arnold was very good.

He played very well against Ireland.

If it goes the other way and Cheika goes with Arnold I won’t be gnashing teeth- the bloke is definitely in good form, but I would be sticking with Rodda personally.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jed Holloway is making a good fist of things at lock, thought he was pretty decent last night. I wouldn’t have him anywhere near calculations for the team but another season at lock under his belt and you never no where he will be at. The foley, Beale and Folau axis looked sharp, however Rona might of handed Hodge the 13 jersey. Latu was quality and Kepu/Robertson put in a solid shift. Simmons was okay but reaffirmed my position on him, when compared to others. Phipps was tripe which is a shame after his great form of late, but that’s Phipps for you. All round the wallabies on show did themselves proud.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What exactly did Rodda do that was so impressive? I think he was probably the quietest of our locks.

I think this question is the heart of most of this discussion around locks and says a lot about reality vs perception. I find it somewhat ironic you can easily see the value in Simmons, but can’t see the same in Rodda who is essentially a better version of Simmons.

With regards to your first question he is very good in the tight, makes strong, often dominant tackles, is accurate at the breakdown, carry’s over the gain line, and has a very good work rate both on and off the ball - and he did all those things in the Irish series. He appears strong in the scrum and is a good lineout operater.

So I’ll turn the question around - what do you want from him? I concede he doesn’t make a lot of trampling 10 metre surges. He also doesn’t make 60 metre clearance kicks or 30 metre right to left cut outs and I think most would recognise that isn’t what he is there for.

People need to understand that Rettallick is the exception, not the rule. Even Etzebeth can’t measure up against him. Whitelock certainly isn’t a brute. The reality is that rampaging runs aren’t a characteristic that the vast majority of good locks have had. Eales, Matfield & Sharpe weren’t brutes. Even the likes of McCall, Vickerman, Johnson & Thorn were grafters in the tight rather than prominent ball runners in the loose.

The role of ball runners is taken up by others who get the chance to do their job because both Rodda & Simmons do theirs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's a bit shit that going into a Bledisloe we will have a player who has played 13 twice all year.

No way Rona gets the pick after last night, sadly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rona is definitely no longer an option at 13 as last few critical games for tahs gone missing.

So it means effectively picking a player out of position for 13 and given Hodge expert at that - he is best option as also a player in form that demands inclusion in 23 in any case. As only other player who played 13 regularly all season and not injured is English and he is most certainly not a test option.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
New
It's a bit shit that going into a Bledisloe we will have a player who has played 13 twice all year.

Would that be Izzy Folau or young Jordy Petaia ?? :) :)
No way Rona gets the pick after last night, sadly.
Rona maybe saving all his "extradinariness till Bleedisloe" :) ???

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting the lack of love for Rodda. He’s been superb all year. IMO even better then Arnold, and I agree Arnold was very good.

He played very well against Ireland.

If it goes the other way and Cheika goes with Arnold I won’t be gnashing teeth- the bloke is definitely in good form, but I would be sticking with Rodda personally.

He was good and if he is in the 23 that’s fine, starting or otherwise. I feel that Arnold, much like Coleman, offers a point of difference and is physically able to boss his opposition. We need more from our pack if we are to be competitive with the ABs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is Rodda a dominating player? I don't recall any dominating hits or runs from the Ireland series. To me he's more of a workhorse type, that gets through the hard yards in tight. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't call him dominant in any way.

He is a much harder hitter in defense than Rob Simmons, so at least in comparison, he is the more dominant of the two. But that aside, yes he did make dominant tackles against the Irish and I reckon a few might still be feeling the impact.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd like to see Rory given a shot, maybe off the bench. My only reservation with him is his handling, he can be a bit of a goober and drops a few more than I'd like. But that can improve (he's already heaps better than he was).

Actually, Barb, I can't recall a dropped ball from him in any of the last few games of the season. If there were, they were few and far between. To the contrary, he has excellent hands in the short passing game that the Brumbies have adopted more recently, and his flick on to Muirhead (was it?) to score against the Chiefs or Waratahs was a beauty.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s the bit I think people are missing. For mine, Arnold is being held out by Coleman, not Rodda. And Simmons unless Cheika decides he wants a different profile lock on the bench.

I have no doubt that Arnold will get a shot at some point in the RC - whether it is from the outset. If he proves me ‘wrong’ and that he and Coleman are the locking pair to take us forward, then I will enjoy being proven wrong. He certainly brings physicality. But I would expect that we will see a change then in the backrow and the re-emergence of Ned.

Anyway - much better argument to be having about our locks then the one we were having 2 years ago.